Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
Right in the face :mad: the crap came back the file can't be found downloaded a zip file and
unpak 1 click the files can't be found second click okay incredibly annoying. Something is
very wrong somewhere but what.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Right in the face :mad: the crap came back the file can't be found downloaded a zip file and
unpak 1 click the files can't be found second click okay incredibly annoying. Something is
very wrong somewhere but what.

Have you followed the steps in babs_colorado post?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
still happens here occasionally (and yes, i tried 'the fix'... which did not fix the issue here). happens on both my intel and M2 macs, on 13.2...

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
Using Built-in zip + Keka same result file cannot be found. Been using Mac since 2001 and can't remember experiencing anything like this in those years. Everything started with Ventura 13.1 as far as I can see.
Have decided to erase the entire internal HDD/SSD and install clean Ventura 13.2 and test unpack Zip files after this test not use the Time machine backup but copy only the programs and documents + images manually and some important folders in Application Support.
Nothing I dream of doing.
I'll be back like someone said.:cool:

Reactions: osplo

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Using Built-in zip + Keka same result file cannot be found. Been using Mac since 2001 and can't remember experiencing anything like this in those years. Everything started with Ventura 13.1 as far as I can see.
Have decided to erase the entire internal HDD/SSD and install clean Ventura 13.2 and test unpack Zip files after this test not use the Time machine backup but copy only the programs and documents + images manually and some important folders in Application Support.
Nothing I dream of doing.
I'll be back like someone said.:cool:
it's something apple needs to fix, and we just need to ride it out. it's a small inconvenience (at least, on a second click, files open). hope they sort it with the next update 🙄

Viking1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
I checked the folders babs_colorado posted about, but I didn't see anything that looked wayward in either of the folders.

Problem persists. Minor annoyance for sure. Just waiting for apple to fix.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Just as there is a similar bug in file sharing, I'm curious: any of the "files not found" has special metadata? Such as tags, custom icons, or anything like that? Have in mind that if you use a cloud provider such as Dropbox it might add some special (and hidden) metadata to the files.

Trying to find a pattern here...

ribtin

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
I did a couple of the things suggested above, and one of them seems to have fixed the issue. They were:

1) I found a login item that was outdated, which I removed.
2) I ran Onyx with the settings suggested above.
3) Did a restart.

Don't know which one of these did the trick, but I have not had the issue in 9 days now.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
apple needs to fix this. still happening on my M2 air (but, at least, not yet on my new M2pro mini). hope this is fixed in the next update....

conjor

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2022
Sweden
I have erase the entire internal HDD/SSD and install clean Ventura 13.2 and did not use Time machine backup but copied only the programs and documents manually and some important folders in Application Support. After a week I have not seen the errors which previously occurred with files could not be found and external disks and SD cards very strange but could it be that updating previous operating system messed something up!? Continuing to test with Zip files and external filesystems to see if it is stable over a longer period of time.

Fingers crossed :cool:

larsrd

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2023
Denmark
On my MacBook Pro, I duplicated a project folder on (my/our University's OneDrive) containing stuff from two projects today and then cleaned out different things in the two folders. Now when I doubleclick any of the several files (types .docx, .pdf., .jpg) in either folder, I get "“Filename.xxx” can’t be found." However, if I do File/Open in the corresponding app (MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Preview), I can open them all without any problems. So the files are there, they are not corrupted, Finder can show them to me, but cannot "find" them - how crazy is that?
The problem concerns all files in the top level folder, but not files in folders below that. In neighboring folders it is opposite, I can open by double-clicking in the parent folder, but not in folders below.
I just switched to Mac from Windows, and I must say I am a bit shocked to find issues like this. It is definitely not the first issue I encounter. My expectation was the Mac was this monolithic system, carefully built up and adjusted over decades and rock solid, but I must say that I find my old Windows PC more reliable. But the sound is awesome ;-)
(PS. I have not rebooted yet, so curious to see if that fixes the issue)

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
On my MacBook Pro, I duplicated a project folder on (my/our University's OneDrive) containing stuff from two projects today and then cleaned out different things in the two folders. Now when I doubleclick any of the several files (types .docx, .pdf., .jpg) in either folder, I get "“Filename.xxx” can’t be found." However, if I do File/Open in the corresponding app (MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Preview), I can open them all without any problems. So the files are there, they are not corrupted, Finder can show them to me, but cannot "find" them - how crazy is that?
The problem concerns all files in the top level folder, but not files in folders below that. In neighboring folders it is opposite, I can open by double-clicking in the parent folder, but not in folders below.
I just switched to Mac from Windows, and I must say I am a bit shocked to find issues like this. It is definitely not the first issue I encounter. My expectation was the Mac was this monolithic system, carefully built up and adjusted over decades and rock solid, but I must say that I find my old Windows PC more reliable. But the sound is awesome ;-)
(PS. I have not rebooted yet, so curious to see if that fixes the issue)
Thanks for the update. I am sure that despite the rocky start you'll love the Mac.

Please do restart. Which Ventura version are you running? I assume it is the latest.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Greetings.

I spent 4 hours with Apple support the past few days, and while I don't know if this is the right answer for all, it has to do with the login items for apps that maybe have been deleted but are still lingering on the system, particularly within LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. I learned that with Ventura, the login setup pages shows all apps that are firing up at startup. One can then slide on or off. With previous OS versions, its not so clear cut. I'll see if I can located the website again but...

Steps would be as follows.

1. Go to Finder
2. Go to "Go" in the menu
3. Drop down to "Go to folder" near the bottom.

4. Type in Launch. You should then see the two items LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Look to see if you have old apps that you've deleted but still have remnants here. Consider deleting them.

5. I was then told to do the same thing again, but this time hold the option key, hit go again, drop down to "go to folder" and do the same search. Repeat. You can look at the source, and of course, don't delete anything that is an apple function. Otherwise you can blow things up within your system. You could just skip this system option and stick with #4 to see how it goes.

I probably had 20 apps still trying to run at startup. We deleted one at a time, rebooted, and kept doing it but eventually the "the file can't be found" disappeared.

What's strange, and I guess it's why Apple redesigned Ventura, is that the user would have no idea that these things are still hanging around. Nothing nefarious (though the screen viewing apps were the worst offenders), but still sketchy that they could have been used for bad things.

Good luck.

I have a brand new computer and can reproduce the problem. I've not restored anything from an old computer, just set this one up fresh. So nothing obsolete is hanging around.

In another thread there is a discussion of a problem that happens when double clicking a file after you rename its containing folder, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/double-click-issues.2340102/. Just doing that, for me, triggers the "xxx can't be found" error. The second time I double click, the file opens fine.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it's an issue apple (still) needs to fix. it happens (for me, only once so far) on the 13.3 beta. i don't think anything we do (reinstalls, etc) will fix this; the ball is in apple's court...

larsrd

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2023
Denmark
Thanks for the update. I am sure that despite the rocky start you'll love the Mac.

Please do restart. Which Ventura version are you running? I assume it is the latest.
The problem was gone after a restart, which is nice, but such incidents really disrupts my workflow. It runs Ventura 13.2.1.

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
I have the same issue on 13.2

This has nothing to do with Safe Boot or anything...

As soon as I copy a folder or files to another location (e.g. video files), then I double click the files inside at says can't find them (e.g. to open with IINA video player).
I click OK and double click again and woosh it magically finds them now.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Greetings.

I spent 4 hours with Apple support the past few days, and while I don't know if this is the right answer for all, it has to do with the login items for apps that maybe have been deleted but are still lingering on the system, particularly within LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. I learned that with Ventura, the login setup pages shows all apps that are firing up at startup. One can then slide on or off. With previous OS versions, its not so clear cut. I'll see if I can located the website again but...

Steps would be as follows.

1. Go to Finder
2. Go to "Go" in the menu
3. Drop down to "Go to folder" near the bottom.

4. Type in Launch. You should then see the two items LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Look to see if you have old apps that you've deleted but still have remnants here. Consider deleting them.

5. I was then told to do the same thing again, but this time hold the option key, hit go again, drop down to "go to folder" and do the same search. Repeat. You can look at the source, and of course, don't delete anything that is an apple function. Otherwise you can blow things up within your system. You could just skip this system option and stick with #4 to see how it goes.

I probably had 20 apps still trying to run at startup. We deleted one at a time, rebooted, and kept doing it but eventually the "the file can't be found" disappeared.

What's strange, and I guess it's why Apple redesigned Ventura, is that the user would have no idea that these things are still hanging around. Nothing nefarious (though the screen viewing apps were the worst offenders), but still sketchy that they could have been used for bad things.

Good luck.
Running Ventura 13.2.1 on a new MBA, and I get that error message sometimes too. Using the Go menu, and selecting the Go to Folder, type in Launch, and nothing happens, the search shows nothing.
Using the Finder to access those LaunchAgents and LauchDaemons folders show several apps I have installed, nothing suspicious at all.
Either the search function is broken or the Go to Menu is.
Not good Apple, not Good at all.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
not fixed in the newest beta, either.

i find sometimes if i move a folder, then go to open a file in that folder, i get the error. as always, a second double-click works.

will report (again!) on the feedback app...

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I have a theory. I suspect the File Provider API is at fault. Even though a folder might not be managed by some file provider, I bet Finder does some kind of check to determine whether the containing folder is managed and synchronized (since it might have to download something in order to open the file). It's probably got some code that discards the status of the old folder name and redoes the check for the new folder name. That extra "cleanup" work throws off Finder's timing of events. The second time you try to open the file the cleanup work regarding the old name is complete and doesn't cause a problem.

Does that ring true to anyone?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Apple's icloud removed my documents folder. Which had 55 sub folders. Evidently I will have to create all those folders again, to select all from the folders on the icloud, in order to get the data back to my macbook pro.

What fun Apple has become.

NOT
The whole "iCloud" concept is in its infancy and IMHO not to be trusted. You do have your document folder backed up, don't you? As on a CCC backup disk? If not get it soon, for a free 30 day trial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.