Updated to 4.1.. Proximity Sensor seems to be worse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris10304, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Chris10304 macrumors newbie

It is not glowing red like I have read. On one phone call after updating, I muted it, put it on Speaker, and tried to initiate a Face Time call with my cheek. Any suggestions?

2. adztaylor macrumors 68000

3. ammcfc macrumors member

I installed 4.1 on my iPhone4. I made some tests and found new bug in Apple proximity algorithm. During a call, when the screen light off for the first time everything is ok. You can make natural hand or head movements with no problems at all. But if you let the screen to light on for a short time, the algorithm going back to its previous known stage ( iOS 4.x) and the sensor started to register every movements.

4. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

The sensor is located right above the earpiece. For the sensor to kick in, it has to sense darkness in that area during a call. Try holding your phone so that part is well covered by your ear.

5. Chris10304 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've had issues with the proximity sensor since I got the phone a few weeks ago, the same issues I have read about others having. I usually press the mute button with my face. This update hasn't seemed to fix it for me at least.

6. Roger1079 macrumors member

I am about to give up on the iphone 4 and go back to my 3gs. I never had this issue with any other iphone and I have been through every version from the 2g, 3g, and 3gs. This update has definitely made it more sensitive than before, but the problem still persists for me. It doesnt appear to be any better when pressed to my ear. I am still muting, and initiating facetime with my cheek when on a call. I guess my ear shape is incompatible with the placement of the sensor above the speaker. It really sucks because this phone feature wise is so much nicer than the 3gs but this problem is getting to be a deal killer for me.

7. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Does the screen go black when you hold your palm over the ear piece while in a call?

8. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I'm sorry you guys are having such trouble. I've never had any issues at all with the proximity sensor, and the same is true for 4.1. :confused:

9. Roger1079 macrumors member

yes. it actually turns off when my palm is about a half inch from the phone which confuses me even more about why I am having the problem still.

10. tesilential macrumors regular

Try holding the phone so the top part (proximity sensor) is pressed against your ear, and the mic end is ~2 inches away from your mouth/cheek.

Thats how I naturally hold the phone and I've not had proximity sensor issues.

11. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I have only had this happen to me a couple of times and I have had the iPhone for less than a month. My cheek will accidentally hit the Mute key without my knowledge and I constantly have to take a peek to see if I accidentally muted it. It is somewhat annoying. Can anyone else who has updated to 4.1 confirm that it is worse? I am still on 4.0.2 and would love to know. Thanks in advance.

12. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Mine's working fine so far. In fact, I noticed during my two longest calls today that when I switch from ear to ear the screen never cuts on. I'm not doing this super fast either. I didn't mute the call or anything else while I was using them. Usually during an hour + phone call I would have hit some button but I didn't have an issue. I also tested it on my shoulder pressed to my head and the screen stayed off.

I got the 4.1 update, installed it, power cycled the phone and was good to go.

13. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

It seems that the death grip and the proximity sensor problem are the same thing. Come on guys, you're not holding your phones correctly. Extend your middle finger, place the phone in your right hand, and stick it in your ear.

14. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

lol at all the "You're holding it wrong" comments.

just what i'd expect.

15. iCrizzo macrumors regular

iCrizzo

Problem is not as bad for me, I still don't understand why they don't just update the thing so I can lock it without having to plug in my headphones or use speaker phone? :confused: This would kill this hardware issue ASAP.

16. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Updated mine to 4.1 and no change on the PS and for some reason it actually seemed worse!

Now the Retard Geniuses cant tell me no when I want a replacement, Went to apple tonight to exchange my phone which they did and my now week 32 iPhone with 4.1 is doing THE SAME DAMN THING !!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have never hated a phone SO MUCH in my life (but yet loved it so much for everything else but a phone either).

I see no red light on either phone, this my #3 iPhone4 and the way it looks it wont be the last one either!

17. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I think you are holding the phone upside down or either you have deformed ears!

18. ro050408 macrumors newbie

No change for the proximity sensor on my end. Just as bad as before.

19. warrmr macrumors regular

This really is the answer, and is exactly how I hold my phone.

I am sure that all they have changed is the delay in time it takes for the screen to wake form the sensor being exposed to light. as i have to wait longer to see the screen when i need to use it.

But to be fair on all the haters and frustrated people out there. You shouldent need to learn how to hold a new phone.

20. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I didn't have a proximity issue beforehand and I still don't. The only difference is that red light appears on the top of the phone when on call.

21. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

no issues before and still no issues. maybe you guys have thin ears that are letting too much light in? :eek:

or simply not holding the phone low enough on your ear?

22. Roger1079 macrumors member

Im sorry, but I have never experienced a problem with the way I hold a phone and I have had everything from a blackberry curve, to every version of the iphone, to countless touchscreen windows mobile devices all the way back to the 8125, and as current as the fuze. This includes several Treo's as well. I would say that if I can hold all of those phones without an issue, then the problem is definitely not that I am holding the phone incorrectly.

Plain and simple, Apple has let form get in the way of function with this phone. I would much rather have the new iphone4 features in the old 3g/3gs housing than to have a gorgeous phone that functions like garbage. I just cant believe that they have taken the stance of blaming the customer for the iphone4 flaws, or just denying their existence completely.

I do have a question for all of the people going in for multiple replacements though. I am still on my launch day iphone4 simply because without a hardware redesign, the problems are not going to go away. Why do you guys keep wasting your time going in for another device with the same flaws? Seems like peeing in the ocean to raise the tide to me.

23. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Well this is just great! Week 21 phone from launch and not a single problem since day 1, no prox. sensor issue, no anntena issue, nothing. Now after the 4.1 update my prox. sensor is screwing up! I can be on a call and I can actually see the screen blinking on and off like if I'm constantly taking it away from my ear.

Thanks alot Apple for screwing up my phone with your update.

24. Roger1079 macrumors member

Thats what some of us have been dealing with since day 1.

25. LSUMaze macrumors newbie

I had the same problem; after the update the P/S did get worse. It used to take 5 - 10 min thru the call for the problem to start showing, but after the update I had it the very first second...
    So I did a restore and a fresh install (setup as new iPhone), now it's perfect, 45 minutes and a 29 minutes calls and not a single glitch..
    Also, before the fresh install I couldn't see the P/S light that everyone was talking about, now I do, although very dim.