Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Yesterday I updated to iOS 12.0.1 on my iPhone 7 and everything was running ok until a couple of minutes ago when my iPhone rebooted twice as I was connected to a wifi network, running a vpn and connected via Bluetooth my AirPods hearing a podcast in the Apple app The phone was being plugged to begin charging when it happened.

Now I only have the Wi-Fi logo greyed out and I can’t connect to any type of Wi-Fi network.

Could it be a software bug or did my antenna on my phone stopped working correctly? I am still able to connect to my carrier network (T-Mobile) just fine. The AirPods work as well so far.

Any help that would shed light on this would be greatly appreciated.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If reset network settings does not work, then try a complete erase and setup as new, see if that helps.

And if not that, then might be a hardware issue. The wifi chip is separate from cellular, and antennas as well, so that would maybe explain why can contact cell network but no wifi.

If it were software bug (not saying it isn't), we'd probably heard of many more cases of this by now.

bojacks

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Im in the same boat.

I've had no issues with ios 12.0 on my sx since i bought it brand new on FRIDAY, wifi and bluetooth were perfect.

Updated to 12.0.1, cannot enable wifi, bluetooth is off too.

I've already reset network, reset all settings. Once i get home, i'll reset the whole phone and restore from backup.

If that doesn't clear it up, i'm returning this phone, going back to my 7.

Reactions: jacklivehere

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Once i get home, i'll reset the whole phone and restore from backup.

No, do not restore from backup. If there is something corrupt in your current setup, will just be putting that back onto the phone via the backup. Reset to factory settings and see if that restores wifi.

bojacks

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
No, do not restore from backup. If there is something corrupt in your current setup, will just be putting that back onto the phone via the backup. Reset to factory settings and see if that restores wifi.

Correct good sir.

I reset it back to nothing and hardbooted it. Wifi cannot turn on, neither can bluetooth.

Unfortunate, and fortunate, but apple will be getting a visit tomorrow.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Restored it like new and could never find any Wi-Fi networks nearby. I guess that all but confirms my worst fears that the Wi-Fi antenna is unresponsive. I'll have to give Apple a call to see what can they do. Thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.