Updating to 4.0.1..no 4.0.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by getatkyill, Aug 20, 2010.

1. getatkyill macrumors regular

Sooo I replaced my iPhone 4 yesterday at the Apple store and they gave me a new one with version 4.0. Well, I want to update my phone only to 4.0.1..not 4.0.2.

Is there a way this can be done without going to 4.0.2 through itunes or anywhere else?

Your suggestions/or help are appreciated!

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

see here to download the firmware..

then just option click in itunes and select the ipsw and away you go

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

that's going to be a problem now that Apple stooped signing 4.0.1 yesterday head over to the hack section. leave it at 4.0 Do not try to upgrade. Apple will release 4.2 soon and ten we will be back on track.

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

can't he just upgrade to 4.0.1 using the ipsw? and then use jailbreakme.com?

i'm probably wrong as i'm not up to date on goings on... i thought the above would be possible tho?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Negative since it's highly unlikely any SHSH have been saved. at least with 4.0 hecan use jailbreakme.com and get into Cydia if Cydia says there is a shsh saved 4.0.1 then he would be ok. highly doubt that with a Apple refurb phone. he have to stay 4.0 until 4.2 is released. 4pm yesterday is when this all changed so google searches aren't really accurate on this one.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Why bother with 4.0.1. Wasn't the only change in 4.0.1 is how they calculate the bars and the graphically representation of them. It doesn't fix any signal issues so i would just skip it and save your self some trouble.

7. getatkyill thread starter macrumors regular

Actually is it possible to jailbreak version 4.0 with jailbreakme.com ?

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Sadly your options are to stay on 4.0 (and still use jailbreakme.com) or to upgrade to 4.0.2. As stated above Apple has stopped signing SHSH blobs for 4.0/4.0.1 and since the ECID of your new iPhone almost certainly hasn't been registered and your blobs saved to Saurik's servers, you're pretty much SOL. I looked to see if I could find some sort of workaround involving jailbreaking first and/or using TinyUmbrella to get your blobs saved and then upgrade to 4.0.1, but with Apple no longer signing, there isn't anything you can do at this time. Hopefully 4.1 will be out soon and the DevTeam will release a jailbreak that doesn't require the Mobile Safari PDF exploit. (Granted this userland jailbreak has been the easiest jailbreak I've ever done, by far!)

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Sorry guys, you're wrong....

Google TinyUmbrella, download it and run it with your iPhone plugged in. This will save and upload your SHSH files.

Follow this link: This will tell you what you need to do to use Saurik's servers to upgrade to 4.0.1.

Then head to Jailbreakme.com.

Done!

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

That won't work though. Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 restores recently, so any article thats more then a day old is wrong

11. uneek1 macrumors regular

I'd just stay on 4.0 and not worry about the hassle.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

OK PAY ATTENTION....

This will use Saurik's servers, not Apple's. If you can't understand that, then please refrain from commenting on that which you know not.

Also the OP can just press Start TSS.... in TinyUmbrella and then option click in iTunes. YOU CAN upgrade/downgrade to any firmware as long as your SHSH files are saved.

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

He just got this iPhone so how would his SHSH files be saved already?

14. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

OK, please don't just read the LAST post.

Reference my earlier post informing the OP of TinyUmbrella.

15. suade8880 macrumors member

Man, just got mine today version 8A400 with 4.0.2. Damne it just sold my 16gb to get the 32gb and this is what I get. No jailbreak for now.:(

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

still won't help. unless there was a request for the SHSH of that phone before apple stopped signing, Saurik's server won't do him any good. saurik doesn't generate the hashes, he just gets them from apple and then stores them.

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Really, then how did I update and jailbreak TWO iPhones today for two of my buddies? Neither had added their SHSH before, both were iPhone4's.

All I did was use TuniyUmbrella and then I updated them successfully to 4.0.1 and then I jailbroke them via Jailbreakme.com.

How did I do that, I must have no clue what I'm talking about.... :rolleyes:

18. supremeMilo macrumors member

19. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Again people should read and understand before posting.... If Apple has stopped signing 4.0.1 it doesn't matter if you were ever at 4.0.2, you cannot update to 4.0.1 - unless you update through Saurik's servers.

Period, end of story...

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Why don't you read sephamore's blog? He's the guy that created TinyUmbrella, he may know a thing or two about this stuff. Here's a link for you. He himself says that if you didn't get 4.0.1 before Apple stopped signing, you're screwed. If you honestly were able to jailbreak your buddies' phones, then they either did have the hashes saved and you didn't know (this is easily possible if the hosts file was set to Saurik's server and they restored normally before the window closed), OR they were already on 4.0.1, and the restore failed which allowed you to remain on 4.0.1. If it isn't either of those cases, then only conclusion I can come to is that you're lying just to defend your point.

Hell, I'll attach pic of my phone failing to save 4.0.1 hashes from Apple. I can't demonstrate the same from Cydia since I got the hashes for all 3 of my iPhone 4s before Apple stopped signing them.

There are plenty of phones that shipped with 4.0.1. In those cases you don't need to update to 4.0.1 to stay at 4.0.1, because they're already there.

Attached Files:

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Both iPhones were on 4.0, neither had been updated nor had their SHSH files been saved. I used tiny umbrella to save their SHSH files then I used Saurik's servers to update the phones to 4.0.1.

What don't you understand about that?

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

What you're not understanding is you can't do that ANYMORE. Yes you could have done that before yesterday, but it's no longer possible because Saurik cannot retrieve the hashes from Apple. You probably saved hashes before. Even if you didn't directly save 4.0.1 hashes, if you saved 4.0 hashes, Saurik would have every subsequent version. Saurik does not GENERATE the hashes - only Apple can do that. He saves the hashes by sending a request to Apple.

This guy got a new phone that never had hashes saved. Apple isn't signing 4.0 or 4.0.1, and Saurik doesn't have them saved for that particular phone. So he cannot restore to those firmwares.

I'll tell you what. I'll buy a new phone, I'll pay out of my pocket. If I can restore it to 4.0.1 by pointing to Saurik's server, I'll give you the phone + $1000. If I can't restore it to 4.0.1, just reimburse me for the cost of the phone.

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't want other people who are new to the jailbreaking scene to get confused. Purposely misleading people does make me angry, but otherwise I'm actually pretty calm at the moment.

24. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

4.1, actually. :)

All 4.0.1 is is a cosmetic change to the signal bars. Nothing useful, so don't bother updating to 4.0.1

The only thing you would maybe want to update for is the PDF fix in 4.0.2 but since you can get a patch for that through cydia, you should be more than fine on 4.0

25. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The fack is I did update an iPhone to 4.0.1 AFTER Apple stopped signing and I was able to use TinyUmbrella and Saurik's servers.