Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I went from an iPad 3 to a Pro 9.7 and it was a hugely upgrade and she will definitely notice. My iPad 3 was so laggy it was unusable, but the new iPad flies.

I'll be more careful about accepting iOS updates from here on out.

Uh..."unusable"...??? Maybe stretching the comment. But "yes" you will notice a big difference of course with anything newer, but the iPad 3 is still useable. It is heavy, "yes" compared to the new slick silicone casing verses the old aluminum design. It is manageable.

As far as upgrading to iOS 10...probably not of course. IOS 9 is probably the last for this old horse I think and then may be totally laggy. I have used it daily since 2012 (and even writing this post). Did we who bought it when it came out in March 2012 get ripped off? "yes". Especially when they came out with the iPad4...six months later (still peeved thing about it). But...it has been reliable regardless and got my money's worth out of it. I wanted to get a new iPad for my wife (also has a iPad 3). She said, "why, it still works!" Amazing.

Now..I have an iPad 1 that is barely usable. Just for the kids to play a few games and some basic stuff, probably the iPad 2 is getting unusable too, put the iPad 3 is still going. Will I upgrade, absolutely, hopefully soon.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
they are equal so why go pro at all.

Goes the other way too. Why go Air 2 at all?

I suspect your answer is "because I don't want features that I'll never use." That would only make sense if those features hinder you in some way. But having extra features you don't use is not a negative, at worst it's a zero/neutral (in this situation). But for some reason you see the Air 2 as the default choice in the case of a tie. When logically, you should actually flip a coin.

Somehow I don't think we're going to agree on this.

Reactions: Night Spring

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Somehow I don't think we're going to agree on this.

Let's reframe the question ;)

@AFEPPL, if I offer 2 iPads for free (which is essentially what unlimited budget means), and you are definitely going to buy a new iPad (OP's use case), would you buy an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Pro 9.7" Pro, assuming equal memory storage and cellular or lack thereof of options? Why or why not?

Reactions: Night Spring

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But having extra features you don't use is not a negative, at worst it's a zero/neutral (in this situation). But for some reason you see the Air 2 as the default choice in the case of a tie. When logically, you should actually flip a coin.

Agreed. The only reason to get the Air2 over the 9.7 Pro is if you want to save money.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Let's reframe the question ;)

@AFEPPL, if I offer 2 iPads for free (which is essentially what unlimited budget means), and you are definitely going to buy a new iPad (OP's use case), would you buy an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Pro 9.7" Pro, assuming equal memory storage and cellular or lack thereof of options? Why or why not?

But they're not equal on those fronts... you cant change the facts to make the question fit in your box or go the way you feel it should. I'm not getting either because both are not what id want. I'd want the 2 with 128GB and all in one case.

But if i could make do with 64GB i'd go that way. Or simply get a rMB;)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But they're not equal on those fronts... you cant change the facts to make the question fit in your box or go the way you feel it should. I'm not getting either because both are not what id want. I'd want the 2 with 128GB and all in one case.

Hypothetical question. If you had the choice of a 128gb Air2 or a 128gb Pro FOR FREE, you'd pick the Air2? If so, why?

Reactions: DougFNJ

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

I'm not fitting it in my box, I'm reframing it in the OP's box. Of course your needs will be different :)

But this is an interesting line of reasoning. How am I changing the facts / not fitting it in OP's box? The only thing I can think of is the interpretation of "unlimited budget" as free.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I could and have owned super cars that are much more expensive than the cars I have now. Money was no object, but I didn't get another super car... The iPad Air 2 does the job.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I could and have owned super cars that are much more expensive than the cars I have now. Money was no object, but I didn't get another super car... The iPad Air 2 does the job.

Well, if you already have an iPad Air2, and is not looking to upgrade, sure, that makes sense. But you sounded like you were advocating that the OP should buy an iPad Air 2 instead of buying the 9.7 Pro. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Was just about to say this. The Air 2 seems a lot more suitable for the OP's use case.
He also mentioned money is no object. I'd only go Air2 if you're budget conscious. If you're not, then why not just get the latest?

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Well it wasn't really an opinion, more along the lines of fact. It IS:
$200 cheaper
90% as powerful
Same RAM
Identical functionality minus 2 gimmicks

So yeah...

I must be a sheep as well then, having just gone from iPad 3 to 9.7 pro.

If the two gimmicks are the pencil and the screen, then...

what about the four speakers which give much better sound?

what about the better front camera? (12MP / 2.2 aperture / live photos / true tone flash)

what about the 4K video recording, with continuous auto focus?

what about the 5MP FaceTime camera, with auto HDR and retina flash?

what about the embedded SIM on the cellular model?

what about the smart connector?

Not to mention that the pencil and the screen are a lot more than simply gimmicks anyway. The pencil might sound like a gimmick if you haven't used it, but actually its about the best stylus I've ever used. The screen might sound like a gimmick if you've never used it, but if you have (especially side by side with an older iPad), you'd realise pretty quickly that it makes quite a big - and positive - difference.

So not actually "identical functionality" at all.

Maybe if anyone has to be a sheep here, its anyone who goes around calling other people "sheep" without bothering to do the slightest bit of research first, because they're so keen to insult people.

Hevelius

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2013
I must be a sheep as well then, having just gone from iPad 3 to 9.7 pro.

If the two gimmicks are the pencil and the screen, then...

what about the four speakers which give much better sound?

what about the better front camera? (12MP / 2.2 aperture / live photos / true tone flash)

what about the 4K video recording, with continuous auto focus?

what about the 5MP FaceTime camera, with auto HDR and retina flash?

what about the embedded SIM on the cellular model?

what about the smart connector?

Not to mention that the pencil and the screen are a lot more than simply gimmicks anyway. The pencil might sound like a gimmick if you haven't used it, but actually its about the best stylus I've ever used. The screen might sound like a gimmick if you've never used it, but if you have (especially side by side with an older iPad), you'd realise pretty quickly that it makes quite a big - and positive - difference.

So not actually "identical functionality" at all.

Maybe if anyone has to be a sheep here, its anyone who goes around calling other people "sheep" without bothering to do the slightest bit of research first, because they're so keen to insult people.

Agree completely but the user you're arguing with has already been suspended. Probably because he did nothing but put out snide posts slamming ppl for buying the 9.7 Pro and winding everyone up. The saddest part was when he demanded in one of his posts that others should be 'respectful' of him (i.e. respect him for continuously insulting others).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.