Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkever

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
The second you turn on your new phone with the included SIM card it will move you phone service to that new phone. You MUST at least remove the SIM card BEFORE turning it on or you will move your service AND pay a upgrade fee.

If you want to admire you new phone and yet not ready to make the switch, just pull the included SIM card out first.

But someone told me when we purchase the full price iPhone with carrier(Like Verizon) from apple.com, the new sim must be inserted to activate. Apple will link the new carrier service to the activation process. If you do sim swap with your existing one, the new phone for first time start will not be activated.

Only way to avoid this is to purchase carrier full price version directly from local apple store.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
The problem with that is, they change the size of the sims with most model changes..

You were spot on! This is from Apple’s site on the page with model comparisons.
Right under the iPhone X model column:
  • Nano-SIM
  • Not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards
All current iPhones, including the iPhone 8 and 8 plus (saw this in the comparison chart as well) have the micro-SIM cards.

So, there you have it. Thank you for your highly insightful post!

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
I called AT&T and demanded to have my activation/upgrade fee waived. They gave me $600 credit towards the iPhone X. WTF!! They still didn’t waive the activation/upgrade fee!!!!

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I've just read all the way through this because I was mesmerised!! So you buy a new phone, for simplicity let's say from your provider, and they then charge you an upgrade fee??? Madness. And if all of them do this, is there no scope for having them done for behaving like a cartel? (or does the US not have this)

Also for a free economy, why is there such little competition? In the UK the big network owners (Vodafone, O2, EE) allow other providers to route over their network. The result is a myriad of companies vying for your custom.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I called AT&T and demanded to have my activation/upgrade fee waived. They gave me $600 credit towards the iPhone X. WTF!! They still didn’t waive the activation/upgrade fee!!!!

Well you either are lying or not telling us the whole story. Nobody hands away $600 cause you called them.. lol

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I've just read all the way through this because I was mesmerised!! So you buy a new phone, for simplicity let's say from your provider, and they then charge you an upgrade fee??? Madness. And if all of them do this, is there no scope for having them done for behaving like a cartel? (or does the US not have this)

Also for a free economy, why is there such little competition? In the UK the big network owners (Vodafone, O2, EE) allow other providers to route over their network. The result is a myriad of companies vying for your custom.

Cause we voted for Trump as our president. Enough said..lol
[doublepost=1509376399][/doublepost]
Aren’t you a smart one...

Let me guess, you traded in ur IP8 for the credit

Reactions: martint235

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I saw that when I went to preorder on Apple's site and I left and went to ATT's site and I didn't pay an upgrade fee..

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You might be disappointed as times have changed at AT&T. They are near as generous as they used to be. Waiving the fee is no longer an option for the sales people.

Yep. Same for Verizon. I've asked a few times, they all say they can't anymore. So I just eat it and make sure never to visit a Verizon Store if I can - they've lost more business from me $ than they've ever gained with the $30 upgrade fee every 2 years I give them. Their loss. That and my Apple Store experiences, so far, have been 500x better than my Verizon Store experiences. Having a Verizon Store employee slam down a tablet and call me a fool in anger because I refused to buy insurance for my phone was the last straw.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yep. Same for Verizon. I've asked a few times, they all say they can't anymore. So I just eat it and make sure never to visit a Verizon Store if I can - they've lost more business from me $ than they've ever gained with the $30 upgrade fee every 2 years I give them. Their loss. That and my Apple Store experiences, so far, have been 500x better than my Verizon Store experiences. Having a Verizon Store employee slam down a tablet and call me a fool in anger because I refused to buy insurance for my phone was the last straw.

I would do the same if the store employee lost it like that. No excuses!

Nice to be here!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

RodChester

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You were spot on! This is from Apple’s site on the page with model comparisons.
Right under the iPhone X model column:
  • Nano-SIM
  • Not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards
All current iPhones, including the iPhone 8 and 8 plus (saw this in the comparison chart as well) have the micro-SIM cards.

So, there you have it. Thank you for your highly insightful post!

What? Apple has used nano SIM cards in all of their phones since iPhone 5.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202645

Straight from the horses mouth. Not sure how much clearer it can be.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
What? Apple has used nano SIM cards in all of their phones since iPhone 5.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202645

Straight from the horses mouth. Not sure how much clearer it can be.

Yup same sim for a while. Not sure why I have been paying that dang fee all this time...

So when you put in your old sim it automatically moves device to that IMEI number and everything works or will have to call?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yup same sim for a while. Not sure why I have been paying that dang fee all this time...

So when you put in your old sim it automatically moves device to that IMEI number and everything works or will have to call?

That is it in a nutshell.

You should not have to call anyone. Your phone will boot up on your service/number. Destroy the SIM card that came with the phone so that no one will ever use it.

Reactions: myscrnnm

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
That is it in a nutshell.

You should not have to call anyone. Your phone will boot up on your service/number. Destroy the SIM card that came with the phone so that no one will ever use it.

So take it out of the box, and first thing I do is take out sim and put in mine. And then boot up. But the new sim can’t I put it in my old phone after my X is activated?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So take it out of the box, and first thing I do is take out sim and put in mine. And then boot up. But the new sim can’t I put it in my old phone after my X is activated?

NO!

If you put the SIM that came in the new phone into your old phone, when you turn it on it will move your account back to your old phone AND charge you an upgrade fee.:(

Both SIM cards, your old and new, are tied to the same phone number and you can only have one active SIM at a time for one phone number.

Destroy the SIM card that came in your phone. Your old phone will still work fine as a back up, with no SIM and if on WiFi will still be able to text and send/receive emails.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.