Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hello there!
I was wondering if I should upgrade from my VERY old IPhone 3G to the 4s

OR

wait for the 5 not only because of superior technology but as a memoir of Jobs' last project?

THANKS!

Vladislav

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
:D you must be kidding. you think you can survive another year on a ancient 3G?? ive got it right now ( and my 4S on its way to me already) and had it for the last 3 years, its soo slow so i can only text or obviously talk, thats about it. and use an alarm clock :D

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
:D you must be kidding. you think you can survive another year on a ancient 3G?? ive got it right now ( and my 4S on its way to me already) and had it for the last 3 years, its soo slow so i can only text or obviously talk, thats about it. and use an alarm clock :D

Yes, it is TERRIBLE now. However, if I get the 4s how would I get the 5 without upgrade eligibility?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yes, it is TERRIBLE now. However, if I get the 4s how would I get the 5 without upgrade eligibility?

Which carrier?

AT&T offers early upgrade after 6 months for subsidized price + $250. If you get a 4S now, and a new phone comes out in a year, you'll be able to EASILY sell your 4S for enough to cover the $250 fee, if not the whole price of the iPhone 5.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Which carrier?

AT&T offers early upgrade after 6 months for subsidized price + $250. If you get a 4S now, and a new phone comes out in a year, you'll be able to EASILY sell your 4S for enough to cover the $250 fee, if not the whole price of the iPhone 5.

AT&T. If I do decide to sell the 4S, most likely it would be at least 100 dollars short of the cost of the 5 right?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
AT&T. If I do decide to sell the 4S, most likely it would be at least 100 dollars short of the cost of the 5 right?

I would say more like at most $100 short. If you buy the 4S now for $199, and the next phone is $449 ($199 plus $250 for early upgrade), then you'd need to get $350 out of the 4S in order to cover all but $100 of the next phone. That should be simple, used iPhone 4 16GB are selling for close to $400 easy right now and they're more than a year old.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hi,

I upgraded from a 3G.

Aside from the obvious, I am most impressed with the retina display. It really makes a big difference. And also, you can actually browse the web with speed. Real sites like this one load lightning fast.

I would suggest you go for the 4S now and then the 5S. If youre on an "S" schedule, you get the upgraded versions with the kinks ironed out. Like the camera, antenna, and processor.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hi,

I upgraded from a 3G.

Aside from the obvious, I am most impressed with the retina display. It really makes a big difference. And also, you can actually browse the web with speed. Real sites like this one load lightning fast.

I would suggest you go for the 4S now and then the 5S. If youre on an "S" schedule, you get the upgraded versions with the kinks ironed out. Like the camera, antenna, and processor.

An "s" schedule is nice, but the 5 will be special as it is Steve's last project.

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I upgraded from a 3G. Best decision ever ;-) Do it now. Then if the 5 comes out (who knows when that is), sell your 4S and upgrade again.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I upgraded from a 3G. Best decision ever ;-) Do it now. Then if the 5 comes out (who knows when that is), sell your 4S and upgrade again.

I bet it was. God the 3G is horrid now. I was part of the 2nd-3rd wave of iphone customers and the 3G was the best thing around. Brings a tear to my eye how bad it has become...:(

And by the way:
Am I eligible for a discount for the upgrade since I still have the 3g?

MayBee

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
upgrade now to 4S..I came from 3G as well... sell your 3G for $100+...

you never know if you get hit by a truck tomorrow....enjoy life man!

when the 5 comes around, let them work out the kinks and issues and upgrade to 5S after your 2 years contract.

MayBee

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
I'm sure you are...since I remember I was the early adopter with the 3G when it came out...and my 2 years contract was over for the upgrade price.

If you have it more than 2 years, then you can upgrade for the discount price of $199 for 16GB. Login to your account and it will tell you if you are upgradeable.

I bet it was. God the 3G is horrid now. I was part of the 2nd-3rd wave of iphone customers and the 3G was the best thing around. Brings a tear to my eye how bad it has become...:(

And by the way:

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK

Why not deal with that later? I mean there's something kind of funny here. You're thinking of upgrading. Yet you're concerned with getting a new phone next year. But you managed to survive with a 3G for 3 years.

You're honestly considering waiting for the 5? Please tell me you're being sarcastic...

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I'm sure you are...since I remember I was the early adopter with the 3G when it came out...and my 2 years contract was over for the upgrade price.

If you have it more than 2 years, then you can upgrade for the discount price of $199 for 16GB. Login to your account and it will tell you if you are upgradeable.

Isn't 199 the regular price for the 16gig?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I presume so, you are eligible for full discount pricing after you're 20 months into your contract (sometimes sooner). If you have a 3G you should be WELL past that date.

You can also sell your 3G, they're still bringing $50-$75 on instant sales channels like eBay Instant and probably $100-$150 on Craigslist.

----------

Isn't 199 the regular price for the 16gig?

$199 is the discount price (with 2-year contract). $649 is the retail price.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
ATT right? if you have it more than 2 years, then of course. again, log in to att wireless site and check on "upgrade option" and it will check for you...

Tried to log in, forgot password, went to the forgot password option and never got anything.

MayBee

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
check your spam folder and some site..it might take awhile....

also, call them up and they are more than happy to assist you and tell you over the phone.

take care and enjoy...

Tried to log in, forgot password, went to the forgot password option and never got anything.

Kevin8316

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
MD
Call 611 on your 3G and order over the phone. I had a good experience doing that 2 nights ago. Ask to keep your unlimited data plan if u have it already.

I've had my 3G since aug 2009 and its time for a new iPhone.

I had the 4s on verizon for 12 days but returned it and porter the number back to AT&T. AT&T was $30 cheaper and vzn 3G was slower.

Now to get that 32gb 4S within the next month.....

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Call 611 on your 3G and order over the phone. I had a good experience doing that 2 nights ago. Ask to keep your unlimited data plan if u have it already.

I've had my 3G since aug 2009 and its time for a new iPhone.

I had the 4s on verizon for 12 days but returned it and porter the number back to AT&T. AT&T was $30 cheaper and vzn 3G was slower.

Now to get that 32gb 4S within the next month.....

Not quite ready to order... will 611 tell me if I am eligible?

Kevin8316

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
MD
611 will help you however u want with a live person. They seem helpful since your calling from an AT&T cellphones already. I was confused by the data option on the website so I figured calling to confirm would be best.

I have 450 minutes at 39.99
200 texts for $5
Unlimited data for $30

Yours is likely similar with us both still having the ancient 3G models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.