Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Ok, just checked my upgrade eligibility.
The normal 2 year contract price still stands...

I consider that I've been screwed over since I've held on to this phone for about 36 months hoping for a lower price on this model.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

I consider that I've been screwed over since I've held on to this phone for about 36 months hoping for a lower price on this model.

What did the 611 message tell you? There's no way that you're on AT&T, have had this phone for $36 months, and they won't give you an upgrade.

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Hello there!
I was wondering if I should upgrade from my VERY old IPhone 3G to the 4s

OR

wait for the 5 not only because of superior technology but as a memoir of Jobs' last project?

THANKS!

I upgraded from a 3G and it's a world of difference. I'd dive in now, the odds of surviving another year with the 3G intact seems unlikely.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
What did the 611 message tell you? There's no way that you're on AT&T, have had this phone for $36 months, and they won't give you an upgrade.

Not 611...even that didn't work. I called AT&T and they said the 199 for 16 G stands. They said I DO have an upgrade though.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What makes you think that the next iPhone is SJ's last project? That was one rumor, another said that he left a 4 year roadmap.

If you're due for a new phone, then get yourself a new phone. Otherwise it's kind of silly.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What makes you think that the next iPhone is SJ's last project? That was one rumor, another said that he left a 4 year roadmap.

If you're due for a new phone, then get yourself a new phone. Otherwise it's kind of silly.

I heard from the grapevine that the 5 was his last project. By 4 year roadmap you mean from now?

What do you mean it's silly?

Manzanas

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
I upgraded from the 3G. I'd rather stay with the S models, because all of the quirks have been worked out. The iPhone five will be a great phone I'm sure. But I dont want to get a phone that later I'm not happy with because of all the issues.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Not 611...even that didn't work. I called AT&T and they said the 199 for 16 G stands. They said I DO have an upgrade though.

$199 is the "better" price that you'll get. If you didn't have an upgrade, then you'd pay $650.

Btw, it's *639# ... not 611. Ooops.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
$199 is the "better" price that you'll get. If you didn't have an upgrade, then you'd pay $650.

Btw, it's *639# ... not 611. Ooops.

Also tried that, got the text back saying something like:
"We're sorry, the information you've requested is not available at this time. Please try again later"

BTW:

16 gig or 32 for a person who has less than 100 songs but plans on taking some pictures and videos?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I heard from the grapevine that the 5 was his last project. By 4 year roadmap you mean from now?

What do you mean it's silly?

It was just a rumor, as was the thought that SJ developed four years worth of products before he passed away.

I'm struggling to understand why you're waiting to upgrade to an unannounced phone as a testament to SJ? Think he cares.

Need a new phone? Then upgrade to the 4S. Otherwise I think it's silly to wait for a rumored new device (probably a year away) just to honor SJ? Honor him by getting and enjoying a phone that you need.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
16 gig or 32 for a person who has less than 100 songs but plans on taking some pictures and videos?

Video is the biggie, figure about 180MB/minute or right around 6 minutes per GB. So if you want to use the video recorder a fair bit without frequently dumping the video to computer, more memory is helpful.

I'm pretty full at 32GB on my iPhone 4 so the 64GB was a no-brainer for me. But if you are doing well at 8GB on your 3G, then I would say use the video capacity as your gauge. Do you want ~45 min of video capacity on the 16GB, or ~2hours on the 32GB?

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011

I don't understand... were you expecting the price to go BELOW the discounted new contract rate?

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I don't understand... were you expecting the price to go BELOW the discounted new contract rate?

well yes. I expected the price to be 199, sure... but then with upgrade discount it would be something like 99

----------

Video is the biggie, figure about 180MB/minute or right around 6 minutes per GB. So if you want to use the video recorder a fair bit without frequently dumping the video to computer, more memory is helpful.

I'm pretty full at 32GB on my iPhone 4 so the 64GB was a no-brainer for me. But if you are doing well at 8GB on your 3G, then I would say use the video capacity as your gauge. Do you want ~45 min of video capacity on the 16GB, or ~2hours on the 32GB?

was down to about 2-3 gigs on my 8 gig 3G...

Scoth

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
My 4S should arrive on Monday. I have no regrets buying it coming from my 3G. The thing barely works anymore.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
well yes. I expected the price to be 199, sure... but then with upgrade discount it would be something like 99

Nah, it doesn't work that way unfortunately. Upgrade brings the price down to $199. Without it, you pay much more.

Still a good price though.

tribaltwo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
White or black?
I know it comes down to preference, but what are pros and cons?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Thumbs up on 3GS to 4S upgrade

I just upgraded from a 3G to a 4S earlier this week... I'm extremely happy with it...

Same here and I couldn't be happier with my choice :)
The 4S was a logical upgrade, for me, from the 3GS. I consider it a major leap.
I gained a newer processor, 16 more gigs (had 16, got 32), sleek design, fantastic, eye poppng, retinal display, better camera, FaceTime and last but not least Siri.
Looking back I'm glad I didn't get the iPhone 4 but waited instead. I'm not so sure I would have upgraded from the 4 to a 4S.

Kevin8316

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
MD
I ordered the 32gb black 4s. I don't care for the white one, but thAts just my preference. I really liked the phone when I had it on verizon for like 12 days.

I messed up back in 2009 when I ordered the 3G over the 3GS for $100 more.

iPhone 4s on AT&T should be the perfect combo.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Black & White

White or black?
I know it comes down to preference, but what are pros and cons?

I went back and forth on this so any times. I thought I've always liked black but white is different. Then I thought about the popularity for the white model and I tend to shy away from things which seem popular with the masses. Then I questioned how much soil seems more pronounced on white. I thought about the white Apple keyboard and how grundgy it can look unless I clean it periodically. So, I stuck with the black again :rolleyes: The white was pretty though. In the end it all boils down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.