Upgrade SSD on Mid-2015 15" Retina. Which SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucidIllusion, Jan 30, 2017.

1. LucidIllusion macrumors newbie

I've seen conflicting answers on upgrading the SSD on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). I currently have a 512GB SSD, but want to upgrade to a 1TB or 2TB if possible.

The results from my Googling seem to indicate that it is possible, but only with specific types of SSD drives. I can't find any good resource indicating which SSD drives are compatible.

Does anyone here have experience on which SSD drives would work for my situation? Thanks!

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

You have a few issues to consider.

First, you need to get an Apple factory drive since the Apple uses a proprietary controller. Also, the drive needs to come from a 2015 rMBP, unless you are willing to give up performance. In 2015, the Apple drive could hit about 1.5 GB/sec. In 2014 the drive could hit around 0.7 GB/sec. And in earlier rMBPs about 0.5 GB.sec.

Second, this drive is not available for direct purchase from Apple. You will need to buy one off eBay or from an Apple repair shop.

If you looked at something like OWC, know your drive will lose over 1/2 it max performance, from the 1.5 GB/sec down to around 0.5 GB/sec.

If you just occasionally need additional storage consider a USB 3 external drive. I use the Samsung T-3 with great success. I see around 0.5 GB/sec on this drive.

3. wgr73, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I opted for an older apple drive and slower speed as well.

(If you decide to sell your 512GB, PM me I'm interested in upgrading yet again haha)

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs