Upgraded Apple Watch 1 Models Said to Launch Alongside Apple Watch 2 Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to predicting an all-new Apple Watch 2 with a GPS, barometer, larger battery, and more, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today claimed that upgraded first-generation Apple Watch models with faster TSMC-built processors and superior waterproofing will likely launch in the second half of 2016.

[​IMG]

Kuo said the upgraded Apple Watch 1 models will not have a GPS, barometer, or other larger additions reserved for the Apple Watch 2, nor will the waterproofing improvements be as significant, suggesting only an incremental refresh of internal hardware. The watches are said to retain a similar form factor.

The well-connected analyst expects another Apple Watch price cut once the new models are launched, but he did not specify whether the reduction will apply to existing first-generation models, upgraded first-generation models, Apple Watch 2 models, or some combination of the three lineups. Apple lowered the starting price of the Apple Watch Sport to $299 in March 2016, a savings of $50 compared to the device's initial $349 launch price in April 2015.

Article Link: Upgraded Apple Watch 1 Models Said to Launch Alongside Apple Watch 2 Later This Year

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

3. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I hope they let you buy just the watch casing by itself if you already have a band.

4. kwikdeth macrumors 65816

I wonder how resale value is gonna work on older high end models with exotic materials.

5. PBRsg macrumors 6502

PBRsg

Introducing the Apple redux package: the iPhone 7 (which is an iPhone 6SS) and an upgraded Apple Watch 1.

6. citysnaps macrumors 601

Makes a lot of sense. That's how iPhones have worked.

7. pat500000, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Hmm...apple watch SE vs Apple watch 2.....hmm.....hmm....hmm....hmm...hmm...
    To Editor: please send me Kuo's phone number....i need a word with him.

EDIT: this trend that I'm noticing from Apple: it's like...80s famous movie in blue ray disc...and sequels of those movies.

Interesting....

EDIT: meh...slow news.

8. Schwyz, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016

Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

9. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Love your sig.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is interesting. At least it's gives the Customer the option of what they Want in the Watch in terms of improvements. What a Keynote this will be.

11. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

This doesn't sound reasonable at all.

Again, he also said the Apple Watch was going to release in 2014, and 2014 would also have an Apple TV refresh, so...

12. Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

- Apple Watch: nearly useless without your iPhone.
    - Android Wear: bulky/ugly/buggy take your pick.

Smart watches are improving, I only wish it'd happen faster rate.

13. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

NOOOOO........
    if that was the case...I can only imagine people posting threads "Is it safe to buy it now or later" more often.

14. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

If you can't afford to waste money on an unneeded band you are not in Apple's target audience.

15. Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

It couldn't possibly be any worse than our annual iPhone releases!

16. Rettun1 macrumors regular

This is interesting, and quite strange.

Since I'm looking to get an Apple Watch before the years end, I hope that the 'improved first gen' model will see a price reduction. I don't need gps or a barometer. The only thing I would get gen 2 for would be the waterproofing and if the battery life was significantly better. This is just so strange...

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

You mean Apple no longer knows what we want, before we ourselves do? :D
    I hate making decisions and, I'm sooo disappointed.....

18. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This makes a lot of sense since they can reduce the price further on the original
    I'm glad that they will be fixing it's biggest problem (speed) at the same time.

19. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

I think Macrumors should do a sources roundup. Each place that rumours come from, and how often that source is correct.

20. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

Here's my prediction: Apple won't introduce an all new Apple Watch 2. Instead, they will introduce new Apple Watch Collections, such as the Explorer collection with gps and cellular. The older collections like the Sport will receive a price drop. Other collections like the Edition will be retired.

21. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Well...if they are start making annual apple watches....maybe.

22. Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz

From the company that brought you the iPhone 5s reboot: the iPhone SE... Comes the revolutionary Apple Watch 2: featuring the Apple Watch 1 with some improved stuff...

Tickets to the unveiling selling fast!

23. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Not even Siri can respond to our limbo....
    "Hey Siri...what do you recommend??"
    -siri shuts down the watch and iphones.-

24. Soccertess macrumors 65816

This is the New Apple.... things can get a lot worse.. A lot if Tim isn't ousted ASAP!

25. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I cannot wait for it to be called Apple Watch Pro! For the people who use their watches professionally, such as, um, time keepers I guess...

My analyst knowledge predicts that Pro bands will be 1) incompatible with Watch 1 bands and 2) sold at premium. Or possibly Watch Pro will go bandless and connect to your body via Bluetooth.