Upgrading iMac memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wazzaracer, Jun 26, 2012.

1. wazzaracer macrumors newbie

Hi guys i recently bought my first Mac, and i am so impressed ! It does need an upgrade on Ram as Free Ram in Activity Monitor is regularly dropping below 500mb. I bought the basic 21.5 Mid 2011 mac with standard 4gb ram so i currently have 2 sticks of 2 gb each, i have been on Crucials website and i can get another 8 gb for a reasonable price, 2 4 gb sticks giving me a total of 12 gb.
    My question to you is will the 2 new 4 gb sticks work with the 2 existing sticks of 2 gb or have they got to be the same size ?

Many thanks

Warren

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Yes any brand 1333 DDR3 SODIMM pair ram sticks will work

3. wazzaracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply ;)

4. Tichols, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Tichols macrumors newbie

I also have a quick question: will the 2011 iMac support 4x8 gb? or should I get 4x4? :)

Edit: Its for the larger of the 21,5" models

5. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Yes OWC claim it supports but i don't think you need so much ram doesn't improve performance you will only need such amount of ram if you edit large HD projects or high resolution photos in photoshop.

12GB is the sweat spot for every consumer work.

6. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

According to Apple it supports up to 16 GB, but people have found that it is actually capable of 32 GB. However, few people with normal computer use need as much as 32 GB.

If you are unsure I'd say to get 2x8 to begin with, and then add on 2x8 again if you need even more. When using RAM it's best to keep all the sticks the same size, so if you can avoid using different sizes you should.

7. Tichols macrumors newbie

Ok - Thanks alot :) I think I'll get 4x4 - its way cheaper anyway :D

8. wazzaracer thread starter macrumors newbie

So will my set up of 2x2 and 2x4 not be ideal then ?

9. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

There's different takes on that. It should be fine if they are in pairs (2, 2, 4, 4 and not 2, 4, 2, 4). It all comes down to how the motherboard works, some say that all 4 has to be same size, and some people claim only two pairs to be the same size, meaning either X X X X or X X Y Y. More recent computers have no problem with the X X Y Y configuration, so you should be completely fine. But even if there's no problems with it and it works completely fine, some people claim the X X X X configuration is somewhat better, but I have yet to see proof of this.

10. timothy496, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

timothy496 macrumors newbie

timothy496

Hello, I'm expecting to receive a stock 12,2 iMac 27in (MC813LL/A) i5 2.7GHz with 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM tomorrow.
    For $92 I ordered the Corsair 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit

My question is, can I install/run both sets of memory sticks --2x2GB(stock) & 2x8GB(purchased)-- so the max memory would be around 20GBs?

If so, where's the ideal places to install them into the iMac?

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Having mixed sizes is not perfect, but it actually makes very little difference. Which is meant literally: It does make a difference, which can be measured by benchmarks, but the difference is actually very little. Like if you had a 2.19 GHz processor instead of a 2.20 GHz; it is a difference but you don't really care.

12. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Don't even bother. 12GB should be more than enough for most people. If you find you *really* need the upgrade, just grab another set of 8 down the line.

I don't know what price you are being quoted, but Amazon has these for $45. Free shipping, no tax.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG/ref=wms_ohs_product

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Free memory is memory that's not being used. Just because you have a low amount of free memory, it does not mean that you necessarily need more memory. OSX holds onto memory for caching and releases it as necessary.

Restart and do the normal thing you would for a day. Then check your page outs and page ins and post what they are.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's more to the story than free memory. To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

15. stevenb macrumors member

wazzaracer, I just bought the same computer, refurbished, from Apple for my mom. It comes with 2GB x 2. I bought two more 2GB sticks, so that I have four sticks of 2GB, or 8GB total. I am also running Windows 7 Home Premium in Bootcamp. She has Photoshop Elements on it and watches movies. It seems to be plenty fast as far as the processor and RAM goes. You will be fine with 8GB and it was cheaper to buy 2GB sticks. This computer is a good little work-horse for a smaller area. Enjoy it!

16. wazzaracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help and advice guys ! I regularly get page outs of 1 gb. think i will go for 2 x 2 gb sticks.
    I dont do any thing that strenuous on my mac so that should be plenty !

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

32 GB does work (4x8 GB).

As for what is a real sweet spot, I don't think you can just make a blanket statement on what is good for every user without knowing what they use the computer for.

18. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

read my post i said the sweet spot for every consumer work

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I did read your post. Despite the "consumer" qualifier, I still disagree with your blanket statement. Not every consumer does the same thing or uses their computer in the same way.

20. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Read again i said the "sweet spot" and for "blanket statements" i am a pro video editor dude i think i have an experience about optimizing workflow and computer needs in hardware depend on usage.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I am a pro computer scientist with a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering. I graduated nearly 11 years ago and I've worked in my field of study since graduating. I don't like objective opinions and incorrect assumptions.

I do realise though that I probably don't know as much about computer performance and optimised work flows as a pro video editor dude so I'll bow down gracefully to your superior opinion.

22. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Then we wait your opinion on the matter based on complex diagrams and scientific proof.

23. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

i loled.

24. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

buy from owc! there ram is much better to be honest.

plus they are more helpfull if there is a problem and you can sell them the old ram.

might be a few bucks more, but its worth it.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/1333DDR3S8GB/
    84 bucks for a 8gb ddr3 stick.

your system can hold up to 4 of thoes chips for 32gb of ram

I would buy two chips for now and then a while later buy another two,
    just to have it at its max plus resale value will go up.

25. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

[​IMG]

Thank you for taking interest in my work. I am currently working on a thesis to show that global warming is being caused by the decrease in pirates around the world and have been writing software to model the situation.

[​IMG]