Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardvark90

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
If we can get Apple to open the parts store and sell us 2 2TB nands labeled slot 1 and slot 2, then we could be in business. Hopefully the new Mac Pro due later this year would open up the market for those parts, but knowing Apple, that may not be an upgradable part of the configuration.
The modules are in fact labeled that way, and they are available. I used SN for a unit that isn't mine, and had no problem going through checkout all the way to submission.

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
The modules are in fact labeled that way, and they are available. I used SN for a unit that isn't mine, and had no problem going through checkout all the way to submission.
Maybe you could share that serial with a few of us or maybe could help figure out the new serial numbers?
I would like to increase my 1 to a 2 or 4.

ardvark90

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Maybe you could share that serial with a few of us or maybe could help figure out the new serial numbers?
I would like to increase my 1 to a 2 or 4.
I just ripped them from ebay listings (this is why you shouldn't show them in your pictures I guess).

The main concern I have at this point is that using the wrong serial number will tie it to a different iCloud account.

I'm happy to test, but not with a few hundred dollars on the line for a 512 module, much less the potential risk for me to be able to restore... hence my interest in downgrading to a trusted user's module first.

s-l1600.jpg

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I just ripped them from ebay listings (this is why you shouldn't show them in your pictures I guess).

The main concern I have at this point is that using the wrong serial number will tie it to a different iCloud account.

I'm happy to test, but not with a few hundred dollars on the line for a 512 module, much less the potential risk for me to be able to restore... hence my interest in downgrading to a trusted user's module first.

s-l1600.jpg
I wasn't thinking of riping anybody off. No one in the serial number business seems to have decoded the numbers yet.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Prices via the self service repair program:

512GB ~$450
1TB ~$550
2TB ~$850
4TB ~$1300
8TB ~$2200

Add tax and get 88 bucks back for sending the old modules back in.

The Mac Studio repair manual (manual ID: CWQBNX) is available, and says that the serial number ending in 0 or 1 for the nand module indicates which slot it is supposed to go into.

If anyone is willing to sell their 512GB module, I'd like to try downgrading and would be interested in making a deal (that's less awful than the $450 price... dang).
What size SSD do you have?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Another question... Is it possible to get configurator2 to reimage a mac studio with an external thunderbolt ssd (no internal ssd connected at all)?
What would be the purpose of that? If your intention is to boot off external, you can already do this by disabling boot lock via Recovery Mode.

And it is already established that the internal SSD must be present for any Apple Silicon Mac to work, regardless if you boot from the internal.

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
Do you think a Mac Studio with a 1TB or 2TB config could be converted to 512GB in the same way?
Yes sure. as long as you use a supported single 512GB module.

Another question... Is it possible to get configurator2 to reimage a mac studio with an external thunderbolt ssd (no internal ssd connected at all)?
Unfortunately no. early boot process involves the M1 chip to read data from the integrated NANDs befores to pass hand to an external SSD.
No M1 nor M2 mac can boot not work without internal nands.

• Wow
Reactions: foliovision

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
If we can get Apple to open the parts store and sell us 2 2TB nands labeled slot 1 and slot 2, then we could be in business. Hopefully the new Mac Pro due later this year would open up the market for those parts, but knowing Apple, that may not be an upgradable part of the configuration.
I was hoping that too, but after discovering that both Mac Mini M2 and M2 pro use BGA315 nands (the same as in iPhone 14), I think there is no hope future NANDs cards for any Mac Pro will be compatible with M1 mac studio.

Reactions: gabrieljsmith1

inwerp

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
JCID does not support M1 macs.
Basically what JCID does on T2 is it copies sysconfig-like block which configures RAID volume for T2. For some reason, DFU restore is not able to re-bind clean Nands into a partition, that's why it is needed. After Volume is created, T2 is able to format it and install BridgeOS + create volume for User data. Second reason for that is that T2 is also used as an SSD controller: its DRAM used as a cache, it calculates "smart" based on NAND condition. Also, these "NANDS" are in fact a SIP IC which have its own controller, NAND memory and small cache embedded. You can see similar type chips in MS Surface laptops or Toshiba/Kioxia m.2 1-chip drives

Upgrading M1 Pro/Air does not require anything but Apple Configurator + Chips replacement. Most likely thats because there are just 2 channels, no matter what capacity you have, there will be always two SSD NAND on board, even on cheapest 256GB models.

M1 Studio might use some sort of hybrid RAID-like mode like on T2, again, requires configuration on chips, however it is not really clear if these would be the same block, and you can simply use JCID to clone 4TB config to an upgraded SSD(For example, this blind sysconfig clone function is used if you have just one shorted NAND but it is readable under freezer / higher current power supply).

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Personally, I regret I bought a Mac Studio with only a 1 TB SSD. If I would do it again, I would go for 2 TB.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Personally, I regret I bought a Mac Studio with only a 1 TB SSD. If I would do it again, I would go for 2 TB.

I recommended people buy the absolute biggest SSD they could afford, and was told I was crazy for suggesting that. With macOS and applications, I think I am at at least 50%, and I have the 2TB.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
If I had watched the YouTube video about the lifespan of a 2 TB SSD vs a 1 TB SSD, I wouldn't have made this mistake.

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Am I guessing right, that OP wants to keep secret about ”right order” and ”wrong order”?
since everybody gets it right at second time?

Does tha mac need to be booted when the first is inserted?
Then off and adding the second?

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
Am I guessing right, that OP wants to keep secret about ”right order” and ”wrong order”?
since everybody gets it right at second time?

Do you really think that if I wanted to keep something secret, I would post it here on MacRumors ? 🙃

You can read all my posts here: I share everything I find out and it's a pleasure to help others.
It's quite the opposite: some people have used my work on NVMe SSDs to develop their own business (Fledging is one example).

Also, the "right" order of the SSD modules in the Mac Studio is something that is publicly available :
  1. Go to the Apple support website : https://support.apple.com/en_US/manuals/macdesktops
  2. Find the Mac Studio manual : https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/2000/MA2118/en_US/mac-studio-2022-07300334A-repair.pdf
  3. see page 63 : you will find the correct SSD order

Here is the picture on page 63 : the module ending with "00" goes on the left (power button), the module ending with "01" goes on the right side.

Capture d’écran 2023-05-07 à 23.49.48.png

Does tha mac need to be booted when the first is inserted?
Then off and adding the second?

No.
The modules need to be inserted both at the same time, in the right order. Think of it as a RAID of 8x NANDs modules (4x in each card), with only the 2x first NANDs containing a configuration.

Those 2 modules are stricly physically identical. The NANDs inside are just programmed a different way.
They work together in the order they were programmed.

And once the NANDs modules are properly working and recognized by the SOC, if they are blank or if they come from another Mac Studio, they need to be reformated and encrypted with Apple Configurator with the private key that is unique to each M1 processor in order to work.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Hmm, maybe I got this: it is just a language issue:
It is not about temporal order, it is about spatial order (in cinema terms).
It doesn't matter in which order you put them, as long as you put them in the right places?

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
This is interesting.
the Mac knows the order of installing, even if there’s no power.
So to detect the order, it uses battery?
In fact the SOC, the M1, has some dedicated communication lines with each of the NANDs.

In the case of the M1 "standard" (found in the iMac / Mac mini / MacBook Air and Pro 13"), there are two PCIe dedicated channels to communicate with the 2 NANDs.

In the case of the M1 Pro / Max / Ultra (found in the MacBook Pro 14" and 16" and in the Studio), there are 8x dedicated PCIe channels to communicate with either 4 NANDs (512GB and 1TB configs) and 8 NANDS (2TB 4TB and 8 TB configs)

The lines are hard wired : 4x lines to each daughter boards.
At boot, the SOC is waiting to read sysconfig :
- on NAND 1 on the channel 1
- on NAND 2 on the channel 2

If I don't make any mistake, NAND 3 to 4 (or 3 to 8) don't have sysconfig.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Hmm, maybe I got this: it is just a language issue:
It is not about temporal order, it is about spatial order (in cinema terms).
It doesn't matter in which order you put them, as long as you put them in the right places?
That's also what I get from his comments; when moving the 2TB modules they already had "something" installed inside, and these files must appear on the first two NAND blocks of slot 00. This is similar to pre-built NAS systems where the OS is installed on at least the first 2 HDD bays as RAID-1, then the data volumes are spread/stripped even more across more disks but the system still only spans those first two disks.

gilles_polysoft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Tours (France)
Hi there,

Mac Studio M2 and Mac Pro M2 were just announced.

As I was hopping, Apple does sell NAND storage upgrades for the Mac Pro M2 :
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MR393AM/A/apple-2tb-ssd-upgrade-kit-for-mac-pro

We might guess that those will work in the Mac Studio M2 too.
As for the Mac Studio M1 I think they won't work because different nand may be used :
- BGA110 nands (same as in iPhone 13) in the Mac Studio M1
- BGA315 nands (same as in iPhone 14) in both the Mac Studio M2 and Mac Pro M2

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Hi there,

Mac Studio M2 and Mac Pro M2 were just announced.

As I was hopping, Apple does sell NAND storage upgrades for the Mac Pro M2 :
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MR393AM/A/apple-2tb-ssd-upgrade-kit-for-mac-pro

We might guess that those will work in the Mac Studio M2 too.
As for the Mac Studio M1 I think they won't work because different nand may be used :
- BGA110 nands (same as in iPhone 13) in the Mac Studio M1
- BGA315 nands (same as in iPhone 14) in both the Mac Studio M2 and Mac Pro M2

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these in a Mac Studio M2 yet. couldn't find a YouTube video yet. It's nice to have the ability to upgrade the machine later, even if the apple storage upgrade kits are not cheap.

Extrapolating the upgrade pricing from new or later, the built in 512GB storage appears to have a value of £400 according to apple. Mac Studio M2 Max also has a theoretical base price (without storage) of £1,699 according to apple :)

2TB Upgrade Kit: £1,000 (£0.50 per Gigabyte) - single NAND board
4TB Upgrade Kit: £1,600 (£0.40 per Gigabyte) - dual NAND boards
8TB Upgrade Kit: £2,800 (£0.35 per Gigabyte) - dual NAND boards

Built to order pricing:
===
Mac Studio M2 Max 512GB: £2,099 (£1,699 base + £400 storage) - single NAND board
Mac Studio M2 Max 1TB: £2,299 (£1,699 base + £600 storage) - single NAND board
Mac Studio M2 Max 2TB: £2,699 (£1,699 base + £1,000 storage) - single NAND board?
Mac Studio M2 Max 4TB: £3,299 (£1,699 base + £1,600 storage) - dual NAND boards
Mac Studio M2 Max 8TB: £4,499 (£1,699 base + £2,800 storage) - dual NAND boards

Assuming these upgrade kits do work on the Mac Studio, I'm super curious if you can build the machine with 2TB (single NAND board) and then buy the 2TB upgrade kit (single NAND board) to get 4TB later, although this technically works out £400 more expensive (0.50/GB) than building the machine with 4TB to begin with (0.40/GB). Seems apple have put a lot of thought into this to make sure there is no way to save money by upgrading later :)

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Assuming these upgrade kits do work on the Mac Studio, I'm super curious if you can build the machine with 2TB (single NAND board) and then buy the 2TB upgrade kit (single NAND board) to get 4TB later, although this technically works out £400 more expensive (0.50/GB) than building the machine with 4TB to begin with (0.40/GB). Seems apple have put a lot of thought into this to make sure there is no way to save money by upgrading later :)
Your example should work if you ordered the machine with 2TB.

It is, however, much cheaper to get a 8TB NVMe drive at only $1200.

gabrieljsmith1

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
"Important notes :

replacement or upgrade NAND cards for the Mac Studio are not available anywhere at the present.
Apple does not sell them nor intend to.

One could interpolate what occured with the iMac Pro (2017) and the Mac Pro (2019) and imagine that if Apple ships one day a new Apple Silicon Mac Pro, NAND modules similar to those of the Mac Studio would become available on the market.
This is possible but highly hypothetical."
Greetings thanks for the great post!

Wanted to loop back with an update that Apple does allow users to purchase Mac Studio (2022) SSD Modules at the following website:

Enter your Mac Studio serial number then select desktop repair and SSD Modules.

Below are the part numbers and prices:

Please note Apple only allows shipping to select countries ATM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.