UPS leaving Apple Watches w/o getting a signature.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bunnicula, May 19, 2015.

1. GeekyGrannie macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

I had to leave town once and asked my neighbor to watch for a package delivery and sign for the package. When he saw the truck drive up, he walked across the lawn to retrieve the package from the driver, but the driver refused, saying an adult living at my address had to sign. My neighbor then asked the driver to wait, walked into my backyard, let himself into my house with the key I had given him, walked through the house to the front door and called the driver over. The driver let him sign and gave him the package.

2. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Two years ago, after the original launch, our regular UPS driver handed me the watch, asked him if he wanted a signature and he's like "No, I'm good", even though it said on their website signature required (heh...the tracking was also messed up...it suggested it had gone 2 hours the other way) :) Didn't update to be the correct location until he delivered.

3. KarinvdB macrumors member

KarinvdB

In the Netherlands, here leaving things on doorsteps is not done generally. But I’ve had some weirdness with Apple deliveries at the office. An Apple TV where the UPS guy insisted I sign for it, then later an iPad Pro where they let the receptionist sign for it.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

FedEx once delivered an iMac (yes, a whole iMac) to the house on the next block -- same house number, wrong street number (ours was 48ht Street, the other was 48th Avenue). The so-called "signature" was an "X", which we saw on FedEx's website when we found the delivery conformation form.

The other family and ours were accustomed to mixed-up deliveries, so it worked out okay. But it was a ******** delivery by the driver.

I always have Apple stuff delivered to the store where I can pick it up. But, I'm in an area where I can think of five Apple Stores off the top of my head, so In-Store Pickup is easier here than in most other places.

5. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Mine was delivered by UPS and it said no signature required. It was left on my doorstep.

Attached Files:

6. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

On the plus side though, thieves will have a harder time with stealing cellular Apple Watches - your carrier (or Apple) will be able to get them blacklisted - they'll never work on another cellular network worldwide.

7. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Requesting signature is about liability. The driver is supposed to get signature if you asked for it in the order. If they say they delivered the item and didn't get signature and the item is lost, they are going to have liability for it. If signature wasn't requested, then I believe the shipper may have liability, but it will more than likely be a debate about who is responsible.

I live in a safe area so usually don't ask unless the item is expensive. A watch would probably not hit that threshold. UPS is not the only one that does this. In the past when I lived in upstate NY, I ordered a $2,500 camera lens in the dead of winter, and had signature required, even though I work from a home office. It was well below freezing and I heard the truck and saw on the website that it was delivered.. I didn't sign anything. I believe this was DHL... it was a while ago. I went upstairs to get it out of the cold, and nothing was on my front porch. I called them and they contacted the driver... they lied about the situation and said he'd be there shortly. He had delivered it to the wrong house. About 15 minutes later I heard the truck again. I went upstairs and when I opened the door I saw the back of the truck as he drove away. I got the lens, but still no signature. I admit that after they acted, the thought crossed my mind to call them again and say I still don't have it and ask for verification of signature, but I've learned in life its better to let things go than cause trouble.

The bottom line is if you don't have the item and they can't show you proof of receipt with signature, they are on the hook for liability.

8. python0704 macrumors regular

python0704

I think it varies by community. I got a first attempt notice yesterday because nobody at home for signature. I just hold and picked my watch this morning.

9. Newtons Apple, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

At my office we get daily UPS deliveries and have always had to sign for packages at the loading dock. Starting last week the UPS driver did not ask for any signature. Yesterday I happened to be in shipping and I asked the UPS driver why they were no longer asking for the signature, he said it was new policy, nationwide, that no signatures were required. He added that it is a time saving decision.

In Jacksonville all of our Amazon deliveries are now by Amazon subcontractors, no longer UPS.

10. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

That would be fraud. The carrier can ask you for a copy of the police report you would have filed if it were stolen. If you at all claimed it was stolen then they could insist you file the police report. Filing a false police report is a felony. If you declined to file a false police report then the carrier could sue you for damages to their reputation. Good job you did the 'right thing' by doing nothing.

11. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It must vary as to what "Nationwide" means. My Nike+ arrived yesterday and the UPS driver rang the bell and I was required to sign for the box. Hey, I expected to since my Apple order showed Signature Required so I stayed home.

Here is the Apple order showing "Signature Required" at the top.

Dave file-1.jpeg

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am just repeating what the UPS guy said to me. I still have trouble believing that UPS is allowed to toss your watch at the door and leave but in the end that is up to UPS and Apple to work out.

13. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

I was kidding. And, calling to ask them for proof of signature is not fraud. I would have liked to shock them a bit because they were lying to me and being total jerks. I didn't want the lens left in sub-freezing temperatures, and by them leaving it on my porch, I would have been justified in returning it.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I just called 9-1-1. Raleigh PD is on their way so stay put!

15. wittyphrase macrumors member

I can’t stand UPS. Stuff is always left in front of a different house, at a wrong door, delivered outside the delivery windows and they seem to be incredibly inflexible whenever there’s a problem. Stuff changes with my deliveries on the fly all the time - something that did not need a signature will suddenly need one and when I change the delivery to go to a UPS store instead it can add 2 days to the delivery time unless I’m lucky enough to catch it and change it immediately. The only thing I like less are the Amazon same day deliveries done by “Laserline” or whatever, which I is just some guy pulling his Toyota into my driveway and knocking loudly on my door at 10pm.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

17. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I still think UPS is the best, but I think it varies on the driver and how courteous they treat your property. Most importantly, can They follow simple directions where you want the item placed based on request. But overall, I would say the timeliness of delivering a package is the most consistent over any other carrier in my opinion.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Funny. I have the complete opposite experience and so do a lot of people living in my area. UPS is always late, delivering to wrong houses and never listens to notes that you leave for them. Meanwhile, FedEx is always on time or early, has never made a mistake in delivering to the wrong address and always listens to my notes.

I think it’s definitely area based mixed with some luck.

19. Stinsle macrumors member

Stinsle

My shipping information from Apple says no signature required.

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Which is why I stated it's variable and can be based on the driver as well. But everyone's experiences will obviously differ with carriers. Courteous and well experienced drivers are a big contribution to the delivery experience.

21. satchmo macrumors 68000

Indeed. This just happened to me today and the thought crossed my mind as well.

Apple says signature required, but FedEx just dropped it on my front porch.
    No door ring, or any attempt to get my signature. Don't know if it's their policy, or just a lazy driver.

I called FedEx and asked them why they signed for it themselves (FFedex).
    They said they'd check with the driver and call me back.

22. flur macrumors 68000

I once had a USPS delivery man forge my signature. I got a delivery notification on a package from overseas that required a signature, but no one had come to my door or delivered anything. When I called my local post office to find out what happened, they said I’d signed for it. I saw the signature. Not only was it not mine, my name was spelled wrong! Apparently he thought he’d save time by signing for all the packages before he started his route. Grr.

Also, I hadn’t realized this was a resurrected thread when I started reading it. I was really surprised to see one of my posts from 2015, LOL!

23. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

I had a quick chat with my regular UPS Driver today in preparation for the iPhone X delivery next month. He told me that even if I have a Signature release or I sign the missed Delivery Notice, in this Market, a driver can't leave any Apple product without a "Person" actually signing on the DIAD, or Delivery Information Acquisition Device.

Note: He also shared the he would not be delivering my new iPhone X, just like he did not deliver my Apple Watch last Thursday. In our service area, these products are delivered by a special driver run.

Dave

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

UPS delivery for Apple will be history soon as they are delivering their own stuff with subcontractors.

25. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I was surprised when I got my shipping notice yesterday that it said no signature required. Must be a new thing.