Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
They aren’t foreign threats from dictatorships. They are under investigation for inauthentic behavior and impacts on democracy. This is well known.

Foreign threats, haha, the USA interferes in other countries politics all the time.

under investigation...as far as I know you are guilty only after being found guilty, guess what, nothing has been proven yet.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
So the CCP does this with every foreign company that comes into China (via Chinese law- forced technology transfer, partial ownership, etc), but other countries can't demand the same from Chinese companies?

I find that interesting.

One can of course always attempt to operate a silly eye for eye philosophy but in a country praising freedom of speech a bit more solid evidence before someone is found guilty is the norm.

One sets the standards as high or as low as one needs it seems.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Nice. Now make a law limiting how much data all social media companies can collect and penalize them for lack of action on fake accounts which are only used for inauthentic behavior.

Oh good idea, and one that prohibits spying on your allies like the NSA has in the past. We’re slowly getting somewhere!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
But you're fine with Facebook, a company that has been proven to have been complicit in the interference of American democracy and harvests as much data as Tik Tok, to not be subject to a similar ban, simply because they are a US company? You're fine with the US government having the same level of information on you that the CCP may have access to? Once data is taken, it is almost impossible to protect from being shared or hacked. I promise you that any data of you that has been collected by a US company, has been hacked at least once if not various times by a foreign country (China, Russia, etc.).

You're fine to presume what you like, but as someone who long ago deleted his Facebook profile because of concerns about what they are doing with the data they harvest I'm just going to leave it at you're wrong.

If it were up to me all social media would be banned. The effects the platforms have on the mental and emotional well being of its users is enough for me to say it's a net negative overall. But nobody puts me in charge of that, so I just control what I can and avoid using it myself.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Foreign threats, haha, the USA interferes in other countries politics all the time.

The US interfered because of WWII and the various expansionist threats presented by the Cold War and terrorism. You must be very young to not know this. Today only China is an expansionist threat.

The current US admin’s policy is anti-war and to use soft power diplomacy. Hope that continues with all future elected leaders.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
What? This shouldn't be marked as political. NooooooOOOOOOooooooo.

Lol

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The US interfered because of WWII and the various expansionist threats presented by the Cold War and terrorism. You must be very young to not know this. Today only China is an expansionist threat.

The current US admin’s policy is anti-war and to use soft power diplomacy. Hope that continues with all future elected leaders.

Who said I was talking about WW2, I am grateful for that.

I said interferes all the time, some of them are good, like WW2, but most time it's not.

rgeneral

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
So Chinese people in USA buying the iPhone 12 will be unable to download WeChat to talk with their friends and family?

Sounds like more people will buy Samsung phones from now on.

i thought it is banned on any store in US as well.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Here is another reason why limiting us to only the App Store is bad for consumers.

Well if we Had a million US accounts on other app stores, these wouldn’t be allowed to offer the download either.
The work around for many is a fake ID elsewhere.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

True let’s hope that. And let’s close down all military bases outside of that nation A’s home country too - now that would send a sign to be really a to expansionist of any kind.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I'd like to see the Trump administration try to ban WeChat, why treat that any different from TikTok? TikTok is an irrelevance, it's laughable to suggest it is a threat to national security. WeChat is pretty much mandatory for anyone with links to China whether that's family or business.

This is all a bit of bluster and distraction from Trump because they haven't yet done a deal with Oracle, one of Trump's friends.

Reactions: MrJeffreyGee

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
You can install apps on Android via means other than the Google Play Store.

There will be ways to install TikTok without much difficulty on Android. iOS users will be forced to jailbreak if they want to download TikTok, which is a PITA and far too much effort for most to be willing to do it.

This is just another reason that Apple shouldn't have a monopoly on iOS App Installations. It creates a single vulnerability point where a government can do a random power grab and remove apps from the system.

This isn’t going to be simply removed from the App Store. Their IP address will be blocked. No device, with the app or with the app side loaded, will be able to connect to their servers. The app will be unusable in the US. Eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.