Usage Between MacBook and an iPad ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Feb 22, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

My question here is to people who have an iPad and a Macbook both. Do you guys get to use your iPad or do you use MacBook more ? What I am trying to know is when both these devices have their own advantage and charm to use it , why the need of having both ? And If you have both these devices how do you make sure that you use both these devices equally good enough. When one is there why the need of another ? How do you manage your usage between these two devices ? As in which or when and how ? Or does one take a beating on usage !

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I typically use one or the other. I had a 2009 13" MBP and an iPad mini a few years ago. I ended up rarely using the MBP and relying heavily on the iPad. Fast forward to today, I have a 2015 13" rMBP and I use it almost exclusively. The iPad has been relegated to kid duty.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

The reason why I ask this question is, because I have an iPad-3 it is 4 years old, and with the New iPad Air-3 which is gonna launch next month I am planning to upgrade my iPad. But I also have plans to buy a new rMBP sometime this year and it will be the first ever MacBook that I will ever purchase in my life, but the question that very often that comes to my mind is, How much of it am I gonna use by using an iPad the use of rMBP gets minimised and by using rMBP the use of iPad gets minimised, so how does one use it simultaneously, does it make sense to buy both the devices when at no point of time is one gonna use both the things simultaneously, I mean how can one use both the devices simultaneously ?? is what I am thinking !

4. Ries macrumors 68000

90% Macbook Pro, 10% iPad. iPad is for travel where I don't really need a computer (like some simple web surfing) and bed time.

5. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes But an iPad or a rMBP it is not something that one cannot manage without. I mean a lot of people will argue that a rMBP is a must and maybe an iPad is redundant ! When I purchased the iPad-3 I got it as a novelty, as a new thing, a new invention. But over the period of time, over these years I see my usage of the iPad very limited or forced sometimes that too I make it a point to go out of the way and use it lol !

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well if you have to force yourself to use an iPad now then you probably won't use it as a much when you have a rMBP. Keep the iPad you have for occasional use and get the MacBook Pro (you may want to wait for the new ones) that's the cheapest option and you can always upgrade the iPad later if you need to.

I use a MacBook Pro and a mini iPad the iPad is used at work and when travelling and for reading and the rMBP is used for everything else.

7. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

So I get the point what you are trying to make here is, only I can decide if I need an iPad or not. I mean in an ideal scenario I would love to have both, but only if Money was not the criteria lol !

8. jdmar2004 macrumors member

jdmar2004

I've got a 15" rmbp and had an iPad mini. The iPad was great if i just wanted to browse the web or play some games. I rarely played games so decided to shed some weight from my briefcase and gave my iPad to the kiddos. I'm fine with my mb and iPhone. I would also get frustrated that some websites would refuse to let me use the desktop version on my iPad. Love my large screen and and its easier to multitask on a mb with gestures.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

10. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Guys....Guys....It Is becoming more and more complexed dilemma for me ! though I feel and agree that perhaps an iPad is a luxury and maybe not a necessity I do still feel that it is good to have kind of gadget which can maybe come handy sometimes with its APP repository and utility. But I posted this question with a inclination to upgrade the iPad because I have a three generations old iPad with thickness like a brick and such broad bezels ! So ideal situation I would like to upgrade it but the thought that comes to my mind is, maybe it is a uncalled for expense ! Hence can't decide ! So are you guys suggesting that priority wise I should have the Mac first and maybe upgrade the iPad later ?

11. token787 macrumors regular

token787

I carried my Ipad to school everyday and while I was out doing chores (easier and more portable to carry than my Mac). My Mac was stationed at home, this was my main source for home use, homework and other projects. I only carried the Ipad when I was out and about or carrying it to school.

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You already have an iPad. You don't have a Mac.

Get the Mac and then you will have both. At that point, you will be in a spot to decide if you should keep one or the other, or both.

13. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I do want to get a Mac but I don't need it urgently, like right now, right at this moment. So I am happy to wait till the new rMBP are announced with the Skylake Chips later this year. So the iPad Air-3 will come first, like I said ideally I wanna do both but in a dilemma that if I have to spend on anyone what could that be ? My iPad-3 feels like a big, bulky brick from the days back of Elvis Presly !!

14. MecPro macrumors 6502

I have both and pretty much use the iPad as the little brother.

I use Google docs on both devices, but I can't type (BT keyboard) as much on my iPad that much because there is too much screen interaction.

I cannot transport my MBP because my battery messed up and it's a late 2008 one and it is too expensive for a new one, and I am also waiting on the 2016 MBP. My iPad is also old (version 3), but I do not think I will update it before I get a new MBP and an Apple watch. For what I with it now its OK, slow but OK.

I think you should get the MBP when it comes out and stick with your current iPad. Only upgrade it if you're in dire need

15. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Don't you think and feel that your iPad-3 is goddamn too slow to the core especially if it is on iOS 9.2.1 it lags aswell, the multitasking gestures suck to the core. It is way...way...sluggish !!

16. MecPro macrumors 6502

Very! and I still use it everyday. I'm not tight with money, but I just have prioritised those 2 upgrades first

17. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I don't know why the hell Apple when they release a new iOS update they say that it is also meant for the following generations of iDevices but all it does is makes the device more sluggish and laggy I for one would have never upgraded my iPad to 9.2 had I had even a slightest of idea that the performance is going to be so sluggish and laggy ! I regret I upgraded it to 9.2.1 and Apple should stop doing this when the hardware for older generations Devices just cannot cope up with the new iOS update !

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I have an iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, and MacBook Pro. I use my iPad Air 2 the most and MacBook Pro every now and then. The iPad mini 2 is basically just used when my iPad Air 2 is charging or for playing music while I shower.

19. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

See there you go...Another user suggesting the redundancy that exists between the iPad and the MacBook Pro. So the point is between an iPad and MacBook it is not too often that one requires both the devices maybe an iPad is a luxury and a MacBook a very much an necessity ! I would say an iPad is a good to have kind of thing but definitely not top in priority list ! So I don't know if I will upgrade to the iPad Air-3/Pro

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Oh, I could stick with just my MacBook Pro and use it for everything I use my iPad for, but I definitely wouldn't. You may think it's a luxury, but my iPad is still my go-to device, and the benefit of extra battery life and portability over my MacBook Pro makes the iPad a must-have for me.

21. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Do you get more battery from your iPad over your rMBP? is that what you are saying ?

22. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yeah. I never get less than 10 hours on my iPad. Depending on what I use my MacBook Pro for, I generally get between 5 and 7 hours.

23. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

I probably use my iPhone 6 at home more than the iPad 3 or 15" early 2011 MBP. I've gotten so lazy in my old age, that I like web surfing and checking emails one handed.

24. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I have a 2012 MBP and a iPad Mini 2. I use the iPad for reading books, and the MacBook for everything else.

25. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have a 2015 13" retina Macbook Pro and an iPad mini 3. I would say it's about half and half for me. If I am camped out for the day somewhere for work, my Macbook is my tool of choice. Same for my podcast. If I want to read or watch movies somewhere other than on my TV, I always grab my iPad. I'm also more likely to take my iPad with me out of the house than I am my mbp. I have a fold up bluetooth keyboard for it if I think I might end up typing something lengthy.