Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Don't you think watching movies and stuff which is better enjoyed on a bigger screen the rMBP is good at it and would do a better job ?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Don't you think watching movies and stuff which is better enjoyed on a bigger screen the rMBP is good at it and would do a better job ?
It is a great screen for watching movies, but heat is an issue, especially in the warmer months. My iPad barely even gets warm when I watch movies on it, as opposed to the rMBP which gets pretty hot after an entire movie.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have an iPad Air 2, an iPad Mini 2 and an iPhone 6S Plus in addition to a 13" rMBP and a 15" rMBP. Each gets used as the need and the occasion rises, although the iPad Mini 2 is seldom used these days. I use the iPad Air 2 a lot in the warmer weather, sitting with it outside on my deck. In the colder months I tend to use the 15" rMBP during the day (the 13" rMBP lives in the bedroom for the later hours of the day). The iPhone 6s Plus goes with me everywhere, and at one time the iPad Mini 2 did, too, but with the increased size of the iPhone 6S Plus over its predecessors I don't feel that I need to carry the iPad Mini any more.

In the early mornings, especially cold winter mornings, it's fun to grab the iPad Air 2 and catch up on things while still in bed; sometimes I use it late at night, too, although more often I prefer to read an actual print book at that time as I'm getting settled in for a good night's sleep.

The rMBP is the machine I use when I know I've got a lot of typing to do or when I will be working with images I've shot with the digital camera. If I am just going to be browsing the various forums to which I belong or doing some web-surfing, I often pick up the iPad Air 2 instead. Also, when the computer is turned off and I suddenly remember something I wanted to look up or something i needed to do I grab the iPad Air 2 as well. Today, for instance, I had been on the computer for quite some time, then in preparation for going out for a while, shut down the machine. A few minutes later I remembered something I had meant to check. No problem -- just grabbed the iPad, checked what I needed to see on there and I was good to go without firing up the computer again. For me, the machines in my household complement each other very nicely, each having its own role to play.

That said, looking into the future my next purchase will probably be the new iPad Air 3 or whatever Apple is going to call it, and the iPad Air 2 will be its backup or supplementary device. Both of my rMBPs will be around for a long time -- they're fairly new -- and I have found that I definitely do not miss having an actual desktop machine (the rMBP serves as a desktop replacement).

Bottom line is to figure out what particular setup works out best for you and to go from there.....

Reactions: duervo

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
When at home I use %95 iPad pro %5 mbp. I use mbp for coding only.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I have an iPad Air 2, an iPad Mini 2 and an iPhone 6S Plus in addition to a 13" rMBP and a 15" rMBP. Each gets used as the need and the occasion rises,

Whoa ! Whoa ! Whoa ! You have an Arsenal, a Warehouse of gadgets. How do you need so many gadgets ? I am puzzled by using just 3 gadgets. iPad, iPhone and rMBP on what to use when, and in the first place if a substitute is required or not. I mean yeah ! an iPhone maybe is required always because of it being a Phone. But making a choice between an iPad and rMBP is confusing on what to let go and what to keep and which one is redundant ! I wonder how people invest so much on Gadgets and need so many of them when just 2 or 3 are enough !

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well, sure, I probably don't need all of these, but they are certainly nice to have! No problem for me in determining what I want to use when -- the convenience factor comes into play here, too. Whichever device is closest to hand which will do the particular task is the one I use. An iPad does certain things very well and other things not quite so easily and well; that's why I have the rMBPs also -- I cannot imagine NOT having a computer, ever. I am fortunate that I have not had to make a choice between an iPad and an rMBP. Obviously not all of these devices were bought at the same time, and as I've mentioned the iPad Mini 2 is used very little these days and I won't be replacing it. Prior to the iPhone 6 Plus and later the 6s Plus the iPad Mini went with me everywhere; now the iPhone does. Actually the iPad Air 2 is so light and slim that it can comfortably go with me, too, on the occasions that I do need and want to carry an iPad with me. I have been using computers since the mid-1980's, bought my first one for at-home personal use in the early 1990's and my first Mac in 2005. I was one who stood in line to buy the first iPhone and again stood in line to buy the first iPad. I love my devices, and as I said, each one does play a specific role. I did not purchase the iPad Pro because it doesn't seem to have a unique enough role that it could take on in this household. I am looking forward to hearing the specs on the new iPad Air 3 and more than likely when it is launched will be getting one.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
rMBP 15" 90%, ipad mini 10%. I could live without the ipad but I wouldn't want to, the portability is a significant difference from the MBP. I don't want to carry a laptop around all over the place, but I can stick the ipad into most pockets and have it right there. The flip side is that the MBP is my "office" machine, the larger screen and real keyboard are important to me. If I had a phone, it might possibly take the place of the ipad, but maybe not, those little screens are getting harder and harder for me to see.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
So I understand guys an iPhone and most definitely a rMBP is a must have for almost everyone, that is like bare minimum one should have an iPhone because of it being a Phone and a rMBP because of it being a full fledged computer workhorse. Someone above very nicely put it, "I can live without an iPad but I wouldn't want to" ! That sums it all ! an iPad is a nice to have kind of thing, you never know when can it come handy :)

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
I have both an ipad and a MBP (as well as an iMac at work). Most of the time I use the ipad when I am walking around, and for playing a few games, and sometimes use the MBP at home when I want to watch a movie. ipad - 80% MBP 20% use.

At work I have an iMac so that is the main one I use, but when I am moving around the ipad always goes with me - for email access, network tools etc.

I see the ipad as a great device, but it is by no means a fullly fledged computer, IMHO, and I could not do without my MBP for many tasks.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
I started with an iPhone 4, then an iPad 3. Phone got upgraded every 2 years so now I have the iPhone 6s+. Also bought my first rMBP 2 years ago. Since getting the rMBP, the iPad has "retired". iOS9 made it sluggish, and I tend to grab my phone more than the iPad. And like someone else said, the iPad is now on kid duty. Not for my kids to play, but for me to show them videos / pictures whenever we are researching on something new for them.

I'd say hold on to your iPad, save up for the rMBP. Get that first.
After that, you can decide if you will need to upgrade your iPad.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I'd say hold on to your iPad, save up for the rMBP. Get that first.
After that, you can decide if you will need to upgrade your iPad.

By not buying the iPad Air-3 or whatever that comes out next month, by saving that money it just contributes to 1/3 of the price of rMBP lol ! so it does not help hugely ! ideally I would love to have both, but upgrading to iPad Air-3 next month or not depends on what is in it for me. If it has Pencil Support and is as slim and thin as the iPad Air-2 maybe I may give it a go ! But to buy a rMBP that is awful lot of money, don't think by not buying the iPad Air-3 it will help me by a huge margin to save money for the rMBP !

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
By not buying the iPad Air-3 or whatever that comes out next month, by saving that money it just contributes to 1/3 of the price of rMBP lol ! so it does not help hugely ! ideally I would love to have both, but upgrading to iPad Air-3 next month or not depends on what is in it for me. If it has Pencil Support and is as slim and thin as the iPad Air-2 maybe I may give it a go ! But to buy a rMBP that is awful lot of money, don't think by not buying the iPad Air-3 it will help me by a huge margin to save money for the rMBP !

Haha.. The aim is not to help you save money. The aim was to help you against getting something that MAY become a redundant buy. However, everyone's usage is different. There are quite a number of folks who have stated they use their iPad more than their MBPs. So ultimately, you are the one who has to decide. :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
rMBP 15" 90%, ipad mini 10%. I could live without the ipad but I wouldn't want to, the portability is a significant difference from the MBP. I don't want to carry a laptop around all over the place, but I can stick the ipad into most pockets and have it right there. The flip side is that the MBP is my "office" machine, the larger screen and real keyboard are important to me. If I had a phone, it might possibly take the place of the ipad, but maybe not, those little screens are getting harder and harder for me to see.
Exactly this. Most of the time, my 13" rMBP is left at home. I use it as a laptop or I dock it to my desk with my two big widescreen monitors. (I have DVI switches set up so I can toggle between my work issued Windows PC and my rMBP on the monitors.) Yes, my Mac is portable enough to use pretty easily when I'm out and about, but I tried that for awhile and ended up REALLY missing my iPad. I love both machines, but they both have their place in my life. I wouldn't want to go without either of them.

iUseMacBooks

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
I have a MacBook Air and an iPad Mini. When I first got the iPad ~ two years ago, I used it for a lot of things. Media consumption - YouTube, Netflix, etc - emails, and occasionally for writing. However, it started to slow down, and I considered upgrading to a new one. But I realized I didn't use it THAT much to warrant getting a new one. So I kept it, but I rarely use it anymore. I use my MacBook for nearly everything. Sometimes I'll reach for the iPad when I want to watch Netflix, but that's about it.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I have a 2015 13" retina Macbook Pro and an iPad mini 3. I would say it's about half and half for me. If I am camped out for the day somewhere for work, my Macbook is my tool of choice. Same for my podcast. If I want to read or watch movies somewhere other than on my TV, I always grab my iPad. I'm also more likely to take my iPad with me out of the house than I am my mbp. I have a fold up bluetooth keyboard for it if I think I might end up typing something lengthy.

Exactly. There are just certain things you wouldn't want to really do on your Macbook if you had the option. Like watching a movie. Reading an ebook. Mindlessly browsing the web or social media.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I'd rather watch a movie on my Mac than my iPad, though? o_O

Totally agree if one wants to watch a movie, the Retina, enlarged screen of the rMBP is pure watching Pleasure nothing can beat that. If someone wanted to watch a movie why would he watch in a iPad (I mean yeah he could, but only because it was portable and if the situation was so) but other wise watching Videos in a rMBP is divine pleasure !!

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
There are situations like sitting on a train, on a plane, in the library, in a lounge, in class, etc. where a tablet is just easier to use. Thus my iPad gets a ton of use. Of course, this could be just because my Macbook is a 15" rMBP which isn't the easiest laptop to pull out. Sometimes I just want to chill and surf while watching TV.

My Air 2 also serves as my mobile gaming console, and its great for viewing and editing office files in a pinch.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If i want to type things, i use my Macbook Pro, unless i'm very pressed for space.

If i want to do any sort of content creation or editing, i use my Macbook Pro.

the iPad is for browsing, reading documentation and media consumption.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
So from what I understand here, people here use their rMBP hardly 15%-25% and yet they buy it over the iPad. Just for a 25% work of hard work creation, editing and modifying work why spend $1200-$2000 then ?

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
My question here is to people who have an iPad and a Macbook both. Do you guys get to use your iPad or do you use MacBook more ? What I am trying to know is when both these devices have their own advantage and charm to use it , why the need of having both ? And If you have both these devices how do you make sure that you use both these devices equally good enough. When one is there why the need of another ? How do you manage your usage between these two devices ? As in which or when and how ? Or does one take a beating on usage !
Here I am.
Owner of a 2015 rMBP 13" and an iPad Mini 4.
The MBP is my "power machine": I use it for Office, Photos, some iMovie editing and a lot of Office automation.
The iPad Mini is my "light mobility machine": I use it for note taking while attending briefings, light Office automation and a lot of web browsing.
I need both, for sure. My usage ? Maybe 60% on the iPad and 40% on the Macbook Pro.
[doublepost=1457348080][/doublepost]
Well, sure, I probably don't need all of these, but they are certainly nice to have! No problem for me in determining what I want to use when -- the convenience factor comes into play here, too. Whichever device is closest to hand which will do the particular task is the one I use. An iPad does certain things very well and other things not quite so easily and well; that's why I have the rMBPs also -- I cannot imagine NOT having a computer, ever. I am fortunate that I have not had to make a choice between an iPad and an rMBP. Obviously not all of these devices were bought at the same time, and as I've mentioned the iPad Mini 2 is used very little these days and I won't be replacing it. Prior to the iPhone 6 Plus and later the 6s Plus the iPad Mini went with me everywhere; now the iPhone does. Actually the iPad Air 2 is so light and slim that it can comfortably go with me, too, on the occasions that I do need and want to carry an iPad with me. I have been using computers since the mid-1980's, bought my first one for at-home personal use in the early 1990's and my first Mac in 2005. I was one who stood in line to buy the first iPhone and again stood in line to buy the first iPad. I love my devices, and as I said, each one does play a specific role. I did not purchase the iPad Pro because it doesn't seem to have a unique enough role that it could take on in this household. I am looking forward to hearing the specs on the new iPad Air 3 and more than likely when it is launched will be getting one.
well, I envy you, in a way ;) , but I don't think you are exactly a "good example".
In your collection you have a few redundancies I couldn't justify , like an iPhone Plus an iPad Mini and an iPad Air, or a MBP 13" and 15" :)
And before you say I have some redundancies too, in my signature, the MacBook Air and the iPhone 5S are my wife's, while the iPad Air is my son's ;)
So from what I understand here, people here use their rMBP hardly 15%-25% and yet they buy it over the iPad. Just for a 25% work of hard work creation, editing and modifying work why spend $1200-$2000 then ?
Because that 25% (for me is more a 40%) we HAVE TO DO.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Because the 25% is required.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I'd rather watch a movie on my Mac than my iPad, though? o_O
I tried that for awhile when I didn't have an iPad. If I'm sitting up in bed streaming something on my rMBP, the heat just becomes annoying after about an hour. It's such a great screen to watch movies on though.
[doublepost=1457359246][/doublepost]
Because if the best tool for the job is a full blown laptop/desktop, then I want the best laptop/desktop for the job.

Reactions: riscy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.