USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter in Hand

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teerexx52, Apr 26, 2015.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Not sure if people are looking for this. Still shows 4-6 weeks on Apple's Website. Found it in my local Apple Store today even though on line it showed no stock. Hope this helps those looking for it. Thanks

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

also, if you order online for in store pick up it says 5-7 weeks but will be available for pick up in 3-4 business days.

3. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

+1.

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Can you leave it connected in 24/7 or do you have to remove it from the laptop when not in use? I ask this because this way there is a permanent solution (permanent ports) for keeping the MacBook charged and having the iPhone plugged in for charging simultaneously.

5. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Dongles can be left plugged in.

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, works fine

7. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

im in no rush to get one, but I'm wondering if I'm better off getting an official one or if 3rd party ones will be significantly cheaper for same thing.

i also have a thunderbolt dock i now have to offload since rMB is my only computer.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

there are some third party ones listed on amazon (preorders). They are $10-$20 cheaper. I personally would pay the extra for the official one.

9. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

I think either is fine, with perhaps the lone exception being 3rd party chargers. I'm waiting to see who's going to take the plunge and try Google's 60W charger to see if it charges more rapidly than Apple's stock 29W charger, or does any damage to their MacBook.
    https://store.google.com/product/universal_type_c_60w_charger

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

it won't make a difference. This is from apples website.

Attached Files:

11. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

That's what Apple has always said, but try charging a MBA with a 60W charger, or an iPhone with a 12W 2.4A charger, and tell me if you don't see a real difference. I sure do.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I honestly have never really paid attention. I was mostly focusing in on the fact it will not damage your device. If it did, apple would have to cover it since they state it should not.

13. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

The statement from Apple that you referred to applies to their chargers, whereas this was about 3rd party chargers. I still am waiting to see who will try to plug in a charger from a different manufacturer that is designed for a different device, which is always a risky proposition.

14. thadoggfather, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

just sold my belkin TB dock and TB cable for $120 locally :D just put it up yesterday too, wasnt expecting that quick of a turnaround despite the fair price.

really just used it for USB 3 for my 2011 air.

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

I can concur with this. It's especially noticeable if I'm doing some strenuous tasks on my rMBP 13 like editing videos or gaming. While the standard 60 watt adapter will have to slow down in charging my battery to divert more power to the cpu, when I use the 85 watt adapter from my rMBP 15 no slow down in charging occurs. Now if you're a casual internet surfer and never really stress your machine you'll never notice the difference.

16. ZipZap, Apr 27, 2015

ZipZap macrumors 601

Are There Cheaper alternatives to: Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

17. burgman, Apr 27, 2015

burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Thanks for sharing ;)
    Thanks OP I stopped by store on lunch today, They just got stock in. Canceled my online order.
    What a difference couple of days make. Last week the store was mobbed trying on the watch. Today not one person at the watch desk. Doesn't mean a thing but not having any inventory must be having an impact.

18. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Great to know! I didn't cancel my other order for shipment, but I went online and placed one for pickup at my local store. We'll see which one I get first!

19. blulegend macrumors regular

I also took the OP's advice and checked at the store to see and lo-and-behold, there were a few HDMI dongles on the wall. Thanks!

20. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

monoprice has one.

21. HawkBYU macrumors member

HawkBYU

Do you have a link? All I see is a USB-C to HDMI or a USB-C to USB-A.

22. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

I believe they only have HDMI one... i have a feeling mulitple dongle will be Apple only, wouldn't surprise me if they have some kind of chip in it so they can work all at once

23. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I ordered one before ordering my rMB and received it a while ago. Haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

24. blulegend macrumors regular

Is anyone who needs to connect to both HMDI and VGA getting the HDMI version and getting a separate HDMI to VGA 3rd party adapter?

25. newellj macrumors 601

Definitely agree, since you're mixing charging and data. Maybe I'm a skeptic, but not all third party equipment is built right or built for the long haul.