Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigskydoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Well I’m one of them. I’ve been on Android for the last 5 years, after having every generation of iPhone from 1 to X, and having a Apple laptop variant as my primary computer all the way back to the MacBook G3.

I’m not returning to iPhone because of USB-C, per se, but I’ve refused to return until they got rid of lighting and added USB-C.

My iPad mini is USB-C. My MacBook Pro is USB-C. All the non-Apple devices I travel with are USB-C. Why Apple stuck with lightning is beyond me, though it is prototypically Apple.

I snagged a 14 Pro Max to play with, and get reacquainted with iOS. I’ll return it as soon as the 15 is out. There are a lot of things I miss about Android, though iOS has made some nice strides. Having iMessage back is a game changer for me.

When it comes right down to it, I’m returning for iMessage. It’s annoying that so many people in the US refuse to use a proper chat app like Telegram, but I will never change that, and the majority of people that I chat with are on iMessage. However, if it weren’t for USB-C, I still wouldn’t be returning. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

saltukkos

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2022
It's exactly my case. All my devices (laptops, headphones, powerbank, mobile phone, drawing tablet and even action camera) are using usb type-c. I just do not want to have another cable because of one device, even if I appreciate Apple's ecosystem (I have two macbooks). So usb-c is a dealbreaker for me.

Reactions: Lyrics23

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
yeah right. ok. wishful thinking.

you can run android apps on your windows 11 pc. cant do that with iOS apps.

even though apple advertised this as a capability.

don't have to jail break an android phone to run apps outside the App Store either.

Reactions: bobcomer

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Wow.. so much hate for a simple survey. People here are reading too much into the stats and not the language of the questions.

Just because someone’s interest is piqued due to the switch to USB C does not equal current Android users will switch due to the switch to USB C. Clearly the distrust of this survey is driven by the blind denial that there is a % people do not want lightning anymore (and question Apple’s motives for not switching) and welcome the switch.

As someone who travels and wants to reduce the amount I carry - I very much want the switch - does that mean I am going to instantly buy the iPhone 15 and add the electrical waste as my 13 pro is still fit for purpose? Of course not, but Apple has to make the change at some point so when I do want to switch it is available.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Not a switcher (will be moving up from an iPhone X) but, as a member of a family that has many devices and occasionally travels, I absolutely cannot wait to rationalize the cords we have in the living room / our bags. I can easily imagine it being a real stumbling block for some who would otherwise would have wanted to switch.

Bring on the USB-C AirPods Max!

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
So cable was the reason people used Android? People really couldn’t afford lightning cable or usb to lightning dongle?

That's not at all what the article is saying, but you are free to misunderstand it however you like :)

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
But now my kids will have the old phones with lightning and if I upgrade I’ll have USB C. And then we need to carry even more chargers on vacation. I already have at least 10 lightning chargers, docks, etc. I’m going to hold onto my 13 for the foreseeable future…

Reactions: koigirl

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have about 25 iOS apps on my Mac and they run just fine. Some developers disabled the option to port the app to macOS, but this is up to them, not up to Apple
Running iOS apps on Mac OS is really neutered since you have to have SIP turned on. That means no (unsigned) software and no booting off external drives. It’s a terrible trade off.

Reactions: nt5672

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
TBH being able to use the same cable and charger for my phone, ipad, and macbook pro was a small factor in going android, and makes the iphone more attactive if I ever decide to switch back. Not sure it would be the key factor though.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
The fact we have to cheer Apple on to do something that users want, and the goddamn EU had to force them to do it just so they can unveil it as the most significant innovation since toasted bread annoys me so much...

USB-Adapter

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2015
Lets wait for android users to hear that the Pro models goes thunderbolt from the start, while android users have usbC for a decade and still without it..
Only in Ultra for $1999 for the basic model with 64 GB flash or $2999 for the moist advanced model with 2TB.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Not once have I ever heard an Android user say they would have gotten an iPhone if it had a USB C port. If someone wanted an iPhone before, the charging cable was not going to be a reason to get an Android phone instead.
Well, now you can hear me. I‘m definitely one of those. I switched from iPhone to Android and I was waiting for adopting USB-C before switching back again.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
This.
USB-C and sideloading is what I could switch for.
Exactly. I’m switching back to iPhone mainly because USB-C and sideloading now when do always on is finally a thing for some time.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Not once have I ever heard an Android user say they would have gotten an iPhone if it had a USB C port. If someone wanted an iPhone before, the charging cable was not going to be a reason to get an Android phone instead.
Well you have the right to this opinion, but this survey says otherwise. People are more likely to buy an iPhone with a better port, it's not very surprising to me

Reactions: hacky

henkie

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2023
Interesting that people would care so much about the port. Most probably only use it for charging anyway.
Just from a daily perspective. Here in Europe, a lot of people have Android phones. All usb-c, so easy to get a quick charge anywhere. However, now at work, I have to bring or leave a lightning cable in order to top off my iPhone. Forgot to charge my phone and at a friends house (no iphone): too bad. Same for holidays/work travel: I need to bring an extra cable (it is not the weight, just the fact you have to bring it) just to charge my iphone: mbp, iPad, headphones, camera: all usbc so a single charger + cable is enough.
Funny thing actually: first Apple was crying at the decision by the EU. And now instead, usbc might actually be a reason to get more users hooked to an iPhone. Apple should say “thank you EU, for showing us the light “ (pun intended).

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I think there are more reasons than just USB-C for why Android users choose Android. I always hear the usual complaint “iOS is locked down.”
Yes, like Google's call screener. That one feature has eliminated all of my Spam and Robocalls, which prior to that I would average between 250-300 robocalls per month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.