Use the iPad as a third monitor

questionwonder

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I like the new sidecar feature for Macbooks and iPads. If I typically use a second monitor at home connected via display port can I then use a iPad as a third monitor? Or does sidecar only work with just the laptop and the iPad and no additional monitors?

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I like the new sidecar feature for Macbooks and iPads. If I typically use a second monitor at home connected via display port can I then use a iPad as a third monitor? Or does sidecar only work with just the laptop and the iPad and no additional monitors?
It will work as a third. 90% sure anyway; See no reason why it wouldn't and the settings allows you to place it relative to other screens so it'd make sense.

But just know that not all Macs are supported with Sidecar. Hardware h.265 encoding is required on the Mac.

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
and a Mac running Catalina (beta) and iOS 13 (beta).

If you don’t want to run betas on both devices, Catalina (and sidecar support) and iOS 13 are coming out in the fall.

Apple (Official Method, coming out in the Fall, free, works well):
Look for “SideCar.”

Third Party Method (out now, costs money, not as good):
Download “DuetDisplay” on both Mac and iPad.

kp98077

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2010
It will work as a third. 90% sure anyway; See no reason why it wouldn't and the settings allows you to place it relative to other screens so it'd make sense.

But just know that not all Macs are supported with Sidecar. Hardware h.265 encoding is required on the Mac.
So assuming you can only use the iPad as a second screen with another Mac not a pc?

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So assuming you can only use the iPad as a second screen with another Mac not a pc?
Yes. There is no video input to the iPad wired in the physical hardware. Only the iPad's own GPU has wiring to the display. Sidecar works by encoding an h.265 video stream, sending the video feed to the iPad and sending back input from the iPad using Apple's own communication protocol. On Macs with a T2 chip, the T2 chip does all the h.265 encoding.

Reactions: kp98077