Use the Original iPhone as a Wifi iPod

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Appleinsider reports that an AT&T spokesperson has informed them that customers upgrading to the iPhone 3G could continue to use their original iPhone as a Wi-Fi iPod:
"If the [original] device is not re-activated as a wireless phone after you’ve upgraded to iPhone 3G, it will still work as an iTunes player and can access Wi-Fi," the spokesperson said.
This would replicate the functionality of the iPod touch, with the additional ability to record audio and take photographs. If it can be successfully upgraded to 2.0 firmware without service, the original iPhone could also be used to run 3rd party apps and games.

When the original iPhone was released, there had been some interest in using the iPhone as an 'Wi-Fi iPod' by canceling your service, but there had been some initial concerns that this functionality might be later disabled. It appears these iPhones without service do remain functional long after the canceling of mobile service.

Obviously, with the introduction of the iPod touch in September, interest in this possibility dwindled. However, now it remains a useful alternative to selling or otherwise handing down your existing iPhone.

Article Link

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I thought if you restored the iPhone it would have to verify activation again??? If not, it will make a great Wi-Fi VOIP Phone with that new app being released.

EdwardsNH

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Skype!

Ipod Touch with camera, speaker, and microphone! Yipee! Well, ok, not so yippee for me, I already have a Touch and won't buy someone's iPhone too.

Still, what a great addition for those who want it. Wonder what the next model Touch will look like.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

bacaramac said:
I thought if you restored the iPhone it would have to verify activation again??? If not, it will make a great Wi-Fi VOIP Phone with that new app being released.
That's a really good point. Though I thought there was a possibility that Apple would be banning VOIP apps from the App Store. I think that was just a rumor though maybe even simply speculation.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Buy why can't it be used as a phone? If someone paid full price for it they should be able to get it unlocked and used for whatever they want.

Seems unfair to be told that AT&T doesn't want you using the device somewhere else for it's intended purpose.

Bridge51

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Newark, DE
This would be amazing! The abillity to use the phone strictly with VoIP and not a service plan?

Now if only I can find a device that plugs into a computer that sends out wireless using the computer's internet...work would be so much more fun!

southyde4eva

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Dallas, TX
Awesome! It's good to know I can still hand it down to my little cousin now, even though her parents said they wouldn't pay for iPhone service. She could get some use out of it. :cool: (And it would be going to a good home! :D)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I'm still deciding whether to sell my 16 GB iPhone v1.0 (for what, $99 or so?) or keep it to use as an iTunes Remote Control, using the new app that's going to be available next week. It'd be nice to be able to just keep the old phone around for that purpose and as a spare in case something happens with my new 3G phone.

Bridge51

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Newark, DE
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That's a really good point. Though I thought there was a possibility that Apple would be banning VOIP apps from the App Store. I think that was just a rumor though maybe even simply speculation.
They are banning apps that use the cellular network (the 3G portion). They haven't said anything about WiFi, which is good. If they made it work over 3G At&t would be screwed IMHO.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Does the phone need to have a sim card in it for this functionality?

I wonder how much second hand iPhones will fetch now with this little gem of an idea......!

Modrak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
actually, who cares ? we can jailbreak them anyways, today, yesterday and even tomorrow...

southyde4eva

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Dallas, TX
Buy why can't it be used as a phone? If someone paid full price for it they should be able to get it unlocked and used for whatever they want.

Seems unfair to be told that AT&T doesn't want you using the device somewhere else for it's intended purpose.
I don't think that they're saying it can't be used as a phone ever again. They're saying that if you choose to upgrade, you won't be left with an old iPhone thats nothing more than a doorstopper.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX

I wonder how much second hand iPhones will fetch now with this little gem of an idea......!
The irony behind this all is that right now, I use my old Razr V3 when I go to places where I'm afraid my iPhone may get damaged or stolen... now i'll be using my iPhone 2.5g to do this, as well as being another iPod around for kids. :D Some good news today from Apple, anyway... although honestly, if they didn't do this, I would hack it.

Also, what's the word on how AT&T unlocks the iPhone? don't they have to after 2 years or something? :confused:

drewsof07

macrumors 68010
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I'm still deciding whether to sell my 16 GB iPhone v1.0 (for what, $99 or so?) or keep it to use as an iTunes Remote Control, using the new app that's going to be available next week. It'd be nice to be able to just keep the old phone around for that purpose and as a spare in case something happens with my new 3G phone.
Put me down for first dibs if you decide to sell it for $99, heck I'll give you $105 to cover shipping! :D
Seriously.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
The irony behind this all is that right now, I use my old Razr V3 when I go to places where I'm afraid my iPhone may get damaged or stolen... now i'll be using my iPhone 2.5g to do this, as well as being another iPod around for kids. :D Some good news today from Apple, anyway... although honestly, if they didn't do this, I would hack it.

Also, what's the word on how AT&T unlocks the iPhone? don't they have to after 2 years or something? :confused:
I didn't realise you could use the iPhone sim in a different handset....!

I am not sure if this answers my question tho..... but a great use of my old one if i don't sell it!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)

tbobmccoy said:

I don't think that they ever have to unlock the phone in the US at all. There are no laws governing that like in Europe.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
They are banning apps that use the cellular network (the 3G portion). They haven't said anything about WiFi, which is good. If they made it work over 3G At&t would be screwed IMHO.
Actually Apple explicitly said that VOIP over WiFi would be permitted. Can't remember during which presentation/Q&A this was said, but they did say it.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX

I don't think that they ever have to unlock the phone in the US at all. There are no laws governing that like in Europe.
Ugh yeah I just saw that.. and the additional article in the iPhone section re: at&t's policy. Screw that company, as soon as my iphone 3g is purchased, my iphone 2.5g is going TRUE worldphone with being hacked.

AT&T can kiss my @$$. Won't unlock my unsubsidized phone... bah. :mad::mad:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
If you want to sell your 16GB iPhone for $99, I'll buy it right now!

skir0987

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
This would be amazing! The abillity to use the phone strictly with VoIP and not a service plan?

Now if only I can find a device that plugs into a computer that sends out wireless using the computer's internet...work would be so much more fun!

Why not just use a wireless router? Unplug the ethernet cable from the computer, plug it into the router, connect both devices to the wireless, and voila, you have internet.

Anyways, too bad I already bought a touch. I would've liked to have a Wi-Fi iPhone with a camera :(

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Obviously, with the introduction of the iPod touch in September, interest in this possibility dwindled. However, now it remains a useful alternative to selling or otherwise handing down your existing iPhone.
True, but why on earth would you need to when you have your new iPhone 3G to do the same??!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.