Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxelre

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
I'm still deciding whether to sell my 16 GB iPhone v1.0 (for what, $99 or so?) or keep it to use as an iTunes Remote Control, using the new app that's going to be available next week. It'd be nice to be able to just keep the old phone around for that purpose and as a spare in case something happens with my new 3G phone.

I'll give you 120$ shipped Right NOW!!:)

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Why are people upset by this and posting negative reactions:confused:? All this is doing is giving us a much higher re-sale value to our no longer used 1.0 iPhone. Mr. or Mrs. Consumer could either buy a $299/399 Touch or buy our old iPhone with much more functionality. Nothing but good news to me!

rishio

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
3g iphone

What I'd like to be able to do is buy the 3g iphone at full price without a contract and use it as a wifi ipod touch with gps capabilities for mapping. Why does apple even need an ipod touch.. just sell the 3g without a contract at full price and let us use it for wifi.. with the ability to enable the 3g chip with at&t if we decide we want to use it as a phone later..

cs123456

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
So… for my old grandpa iPhone, I’m thinking I can remove the data plan and leave it my house for my landline replacement. Seems like it will have WiFi, phone, ipod, and SMS for $9.95 extra per month.

legatoboy

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
>>>that an AT&T spokesperson has informed them that customers upgrading to the iPhone 3G could continue to use their original iPhone as a Wi-Fi iPod:This would replicate the functionality of the iPod touch, with the additional ability to record audio and take photographs. If it can be successfully upgraded to 2.0 firmware without service, the original iPhone could also be used to run 3rd party apps and <<<
I think AT&T is trying to mislead customers to a certain direction on purpose.
1st generation iphone work great as it is even with out 2g or 3g plan. With all the features it comes with WIFI, IPOD, Phone, some apps, there is no need to suggest using it as an ipod touch. There are so many ways to unlock the 1st gen iphones that anyone who use it as an ipod touch is plain dumb. SUPER DUMB.

Want a way to get rid of the 1st gen iphone (if u are super rich to buy the 3rd gen one), put it on ebay and let the market decide how much it's worth.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Wait a minute... i'm ALLOWED to use MY iphone?

Damn straight i can still use it... this isn't a gift from ATT. What, i should expect that they'll brick my iphone just because i bought a new one?

This post treats that fact that they "remain functional" as some sort of special present. it's MY electronic device... just because i'm not signed up with ATT sure BETTER NOT mean it's a paperweight.

of course, ATT probably WANTS to brick all the old ones. I'm sure it's counting on those (ridiculous, insulting, idiotic) extra text messaging fees.

But giving me permission to use my own device is just plain insulting. screw you, ATT... worst (american) cell phone company ever.

legatoboy

macrumors member
May 12, 2007
Why are people upset by this and posting negative reactions:confused:? All this is doing is giving us a much higher re-sale value to our no longer used 1.0 iPhone. Mr. or Mrs. Consumer could either buy a $299/399 Touch or buy our old iPhone with much more functionality. Nothing but good news to me!

iphone 1.0 worths way more then 399. that's why it's not a good news when comparing with ipod touch.

It's just plain stupid idea.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
I'm still deciding whether to sell my 16 GB iPhone v1.0 (for what, $99 or so?) or keep it to use as an iTunes Remote Control, using the new app that's going to be available next week. It'd be nice to be able to just keep the old phone around for that purpose and as a spare in case something happens with my new 3G phone.

right on with wat i was thinking. will be great to keep it for a dedicated remote and back up. will it be able to control :apple:TV?

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
I'm going to use my original iPhone as. . .

an iPhone! At least until Sept '09 when my contract ends.

Given that my antique version sports the sensuous brushed aluminum back only to be replaced by plastic (I'm sure Apple will do a lovely job with that -- hell, they make cardboard sexy!), I'm giving it the nickname "Sexy Back." I have no idea what Justin Timberlake is referring to in his song, but I am applying it to my iPhone the way I want! ;)

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
So that wouldn't be too bad for those people with kids or just wanting to have a backup iPod. Just think - you can buy an App and it'll sync up with both of them! :)

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
iphone 1.0 worths way more then 399. that's why it's not a good news when comparing with ipod touch.

It's just plain stupid idea.

I have no idea if you are downing my opinion or supporting it. Can you articulate your idea a bit more?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think AT&T is trying to mislead customers to a certain direction on purpose.

I think if AT&T wanted to mislead customers they would just remain mum on the issue, and hope new iPhone buyers just toss their old iPhones or stick them in a drawer as a backup.

Remember that 95% of iPhone users aren't going to know about jaibreaking, unlocking, iWinPwnage or some relatively obscure software to hack their phones. And even if they conceptually knew it was possible, they wouldn't do it anyway.

So this is just a reminder to people that the non-phone functions of old iPhones will work just fine.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Correct me if I'm wrong...

With all my other phones in the past, if I paid FULL price I could actually demand that phone to be unlocked regardless of service contract (did this once). Phones that I bought with a SUBSIDY were tied to the contract, but once the contract was fulfilled, I could request that phone be unlocked. I believe this is law in most places, just not widely known. Again, out-of-contract, I could use these phone with any compatible carrier.

The original iPhone was NOT subsidized that I know of. Those of us that bought one paid full retail cost. While under your AT&T 2-year contract, the iPhone remains locked (aside from jailbreaking it) to AT&T.

I'm no lawyer, but if you upgrade to a 3G and enter into a new 2-year contract, according to what I've seen, the original contract is then fulfilled by the power of AT&T.

So, at the end of my contract, shouldn't both AT&T and Apple be required to fully & legally unlock these iPhones and it is now your's to take elsewhere?

I can see that Apple would no longer have to provide FREE software upgrades for them, you would pay just as an iPod touch user does.

If Apple is wise, they should unlock after contract to gain further iTunes and App Store sales. Plus it would be environmentally responsible to keep functional product in use. Yes, they want you to buy the "latest & greatest" which you most likely will, but you'll sell it to someone that may not be a consumer of their iTS or App Store. Their original hardware & plan profits have already been achieved. An officially unlocked iPhone out-of-contract will become a revenue generator for Apple until it dies.

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but as I understand it and have experience with my previous phones, AT&T and Apple have to officially unlock these when we complete our contracts. :confused:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
There are so many ways to unlock the 1st gen iphones that anyone who use it as an ipod touch is plain dumb. SUPER DUMB.

What if you don't want to pay another monthly fee? And use it like an ipod touch?

arn

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Looks like the value of our gen 1 iPhones just got an added boost in value. Slightly off topic, does anyone know for sure if the gen 1 iPhone dock will fit with the gen 2 iphone? Everything I've heard is that they are not compatible. I've got the standard dock, and the Apple bluetooth headset with its dock for both the headset and iphone and if I pull the trigger on the gen 2, looks like I'll have to sell the docks along with the gen 1 iphone and bluetooth headset.

Gen 1 dock will not fit the 3G iPhone.
Which is lame - especially considering they are not including a dock with the 3G iPhone.

I too have the Apple BT ear piece, gen 1 iPhone and both docks (dock that came with phone and with the ear piece - yeah, lots o' docks).

I use my iPhone as my alarm and LOVE the dual docking station.
Both devices charge whilst I do the same.
Wake, grab devices and roll.

That said, Apple's BT ear piece comes with a USB cable that includes a slot for connecting & charging said ear piece. Not as elegant as the docking solution, but still enables both syncing and pairing of BT & iPhone.

It would be quite Apple of Apple to separately sell a new 3G iPhone compatible dock for $49.99. And make separate BT ear pieces but with 3G iPhone compatible docks included.

Grumble...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think if AT&T wanted to mislead customers they would just remain mum on the issue, and hope new iPhone buyers just toss their old iPhones or stick them in a drawer as a backup.

Remember that 95% of iPhone users aren't going to know about jaibreaking, unlocking, iWinPwnage or some relatively obscure software to hack their phones. And even if they conceptually knew it was possible, they wouldn't do it anyway.

So this is just a reminder to people that the non-phone functions of old iPhones will work just fine.

Are people really that stupid?

Man, I'm going to start checking those "recycle your old cell phones here" bins!!! :eek:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm no lawyer, but if you upgrade to a 3G and enter into a new 2-year contract, according to what I've seen, the original contract is then fulfilled by the power of AT&T.

As you said, you're no lawyer. If you upgrade to 3G, and sign a new 2 year contract, AT&T relieves you of the obligations of your old 2 year contract if you sign a new one, but you have not "fulfilled them." You simply enter into a new one, and it says nothing about being entitled to unlocking. Interestingly, no 3G iPhone is available without a new 2 year contract (unlike upgrading to a 16 GB EDGE iPhone, which allowed you to step into old contract). They're on solid legal ground.

As someone noted, existing iPhone works well without SIM. iPhone with 2.0 should also, but it would be nice to have someone confirm that asap on July 11. If so, anyone switching to 3G clearly should upgrade to 2.0 first to increase value. If not, might want to hold back from 2.0 upgrade. In any case, doubt that will be able to upgrade to 2.0 if not presently activated.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Gen 1 dock will not fit the 3G iPhone.
Which is lame - especially considering they are not including a dock with the 3G iPhone.

I'm not convinced of that yet. The iPhone 3G has a thinner base with no additional width. If anything the 1.0 iPhone wouldn't fit into the 3G base. I think the 3G will fit, it just won't have the back support.

macfeever

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Wanted: iPhone 2G

I'll buy your old iPhone. My son has goine through 2 iPod Touch - screens keep breaking.

Let me know where, when and how much...thanks...

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008

I'll buy it from you for $100. Ever since the annoucement of the 3g iPhone, I have been looking at upgrading my 8gig 1st gen iPhone to a 16gig 1st gen iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.