Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Used iPad Pro 12.9 1st 2015 or 2nd Gen 2017 for reading & highlighting / annotation vs iPad Gen 7 (2019) / iPad 8 (2020)? Thoughts & inputs?
I'd mostly be using it in the following way:
  • Lots of ePub / PDF books in Marvin / GoodReader or FoxIT ( or other PDF viewers)
    • I am leaning towards 128 G 12.9 for the Physical/ Visual Real Estate - PDF Manuals, White Papers, Lots of Scanned or High Res PDF Mags/ Hardbound books
    • Lots of highlighting/ and maybe lesser annotation
  • Maybe some Grid / Dot/ Graph Paper templates for use as a Digital Scratchpad (looking at 20/30 $ Pencil clones (maybe).. not buying an apple pencil :p)
  • Any other such ideas.
  • But not a primary computing device or performance workhorse.
I know the processor is older or previous gen by I dont game etc. or do VFX/ GFX work etc.
At most I may contemplate some free DJ/ Music Apps to mess around with when bored :D
But mostly its gonna be a BIG SCREEN reader/ books & mags replacement for me.

Thoughts?

How much of a hardware difference are the Chips/ Mem ?
How much of it will matter to me given my usage?

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
I can't see why either would struggle with that type of usage.

I don't do ebooks on a tablet (I prefer e-Ink for that purpose), but I've been using a 2018 base iPad for reading and annotating PDFs in GoodNotes for the last few months and never found any hint of it struggling. Relative to that device the 2017 Pro has an A10x rather than the basic A10 and double the RAM, so it really should be fine. The 2015 Pro has the older A9X, but even my old 2013 Samsung Note tablet still handles document reading and annotation OK so I wouldn't expect the 2015 Pro to have problems. And as for RAM even the 2015 Pro has more than the iPad 7 or 8 so RAM is in the Pro's favour regardless.

Personally I'd incline to the 2017 Pro, as I'd guess it still has a couple of years' software support to go, and of your options only the iPad 8 has a newer processor (and the A10x is more powerful than the A10 used in the iPad 7), so it's the one with the most headroom amongst your candidates. But I'm sure it's also the most expensive, and I suspect that the 2015 Pro would also do what you want fine (but the battery will be older too, unless it's been replaced, which would be another reason to favour the newer model for me).

Reactions: crashnburn

Del Martes

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
OP, unless you can get any of the above mentioned used devices at a significantly lower price vis-a-vis a new one, I’d go with the latest gen. They have better specs. Even if you only pay 50% of the new device for the old one, it’s still a better deal to get the new.

Each person’s usage situation is different, but for reading, I’d recommend the 12.9”. It has the largest screen real estate, and I have one of the latest gen(picked up this Black Friday). For single page display, I choose portrait mode; for dual page, landscape. Some of the books I read are dual languages, so landscape, dual page display is optimal. One side foreign language, the other English. Perfect!

Last edited:

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Coming from the USB 3 thread. Only iPad Pro released in 2015 support USB 3 over lightning.

Let me ask the most obvious question. Why not the the iPad Air? Or is that out of budget?

It has a USB-C Port which fits your requirement for higher transfer rate. It is 10.9", larger than iPad. And better support for Apple Pencil or other accessory.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Personally I would avoid buying a used Gen 2 12.9 due to my experience with touch screen sensitivity issues with my original and replacement units. I realize that there are many units out there that are unaffected but despite that I just don’t think it is worth the risk. Purchasing one refurbished from Apple and getting AppleCare+ for it I can see.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Used iPad Pro 12.9 1st 2015 or 2nd Gen 2017 for reading & highlighting / annotation vs iPad Gen 7 (2019) / iPad 8 (2020)? Thoughts & inputs?
  • Lots of ePub / PDF books in Marvin / GoodReader or FoxIT ( or other PDF viewers)
    • I am leaning towards 128 G 12.9 for the Physical/ Visual Real Estate - PDF Manuals, White Papers, Lots of Scanned or High Res PDF Mags/ Hardbound books
  • Maybe some Grid / Dot/ Graph Paper templates for use as a Digital Scratchpad (looking at 20/30 $ Pencil clones (maybe).. not buying an apple pencil :p)

The Pencil clones don't work on iPads older than 2018 so if that's a deal killer, then I have to say go for iPad 8. There's not enough discount on the iPad 7 to sacrifice the A12 chipset.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
  • Any other such ideas.
  • But not a primary computing device or performance workhorse.
I know the processor is older or previous gen by I dont game etc. or do VFX/ GFX work etc.
At most I may contemplate some free DJ/ Music Apps to mess around with when bored :D
But mostly its gonna be a BIG SCREEN reader/ books & mags replacement for me.

Thoughts?

How much of a hardware difference are the Chips/ Mem ?
How much of it will matter to me given my usage?
Just get the iPad 8. It is better to buy it new.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
And as for RAM even the 2015 Pro has more than the iPad 7 or 8 so RAM is in the Pro's favour regardless.
Thats a +
Even if you only pay 50% of the new device for the old one, it’s still a better deal to get the new.
I cant afford to..

So the pertinent question & detail that I missed on posting and maybe you guys can FILL that in for me.

* Actual Visible/ Usable Display Size of 12.9" vs the iPad 7/8 Gen that are 10." +/-?
* Drive space - I'd be filling this up with lots of PDFs & eBooks -

for reading, I’d recommend the 12.9”. It has the largest screen real estate, and I have one of the latest gen(picked up this Black Friday). For single page display, I choose portrait mode; for dual page, landscape. Some of the books I read are dual languages, so landscape, dual page display is optimal. One side foreign language, the other English. Perfect!
Exactly why I dont mind older gen. If you have any insight on the RED question above.. Please shed light.
Coming from the USB 3 thread. Only iPad Pro released in 2015 support USB 3 over lightning.
Oh! Thanks. Does it also mean 2017 Gen 2 did/ does not?
Let me ask the most obvious question. Why not the the iPad Air? Or is that out of budget?
$$$ - I am looking at 300/400 USD Max with 64 or 128 - largely pushable to 450$ if I get a fancier 256G 2nd Gen 12.9 - Unless the "actual usable screen real estate" is not as much compared to 7/8 Gen (they are tempting but.. screen & drive space)
Again I am mainly about the Screen Estate.
Personally I would avoid buying a used Gen 2 12.9 due to my experience with touch screen sensitivity issues with my original and replacement units. I realize that there are many units out there that are unaffected but despite that I just don’t think it is worth the risk. Purchasing one refurbished from Apple and getting AppleCare+ for it I can see.
Thank you for that insight. I am hoping I can avoid. Lets see what sources I can tap. Is Apple Refurb selling?
The Pencil clones don't work on iPads older than 2018 so if that's a deal killer, then I have to say go for iPad 8. There's not enough discount on the iPad 7 to sacrifice the A12 chipset.
Interesting. On amazon they seem to.. but its ok. I can live with 12.9 w/o stylus/ pencil for now.

I appreciate all the inputs & insights. Really do - no lip service.

Key Q & focus again:
- Actual Screen Size variance between the 2 sides? - I am bit curious on this.. Actual diff?
- Actual CPU % benefit on New Non Pros over Old Pro? How much of % Diff?
- Drive Space / Storage component.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Screen size difference is pretty significant.

Here are some old comparison pics I took of the 12.9 and 9.7. Not exactly 12.9 vs 10.2 but they should still give you a pretty good idea more or less since the 10.2 is just slightly bigger than 9.7.

12.9 and 9.7
39FD600B-CCAD-4659-B4ED-BCB74E8D62BF.jpeg

Left-to-right: 12.9, modern comics, 9.7, 7.9
0461F51F-3BCF-4279-86BF-20378166A919.jpeg

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Interesting. On amazon they seem to.. but its ok. I can live with 12.9 w/o stylus/ pencil for now.

There are Pencil lookalikes that primarily work by mimicking finger input. Then there are the Pencil clones that use the same technology used by Apple and are just as accurate for writing albeit missing features such as tilt and pressure. Really more like Logitech Crayon clones in Apple Pencil-like chassis.

Key Q & focus again:
- Actual CPU % benefit on New Non Pros over Old Pro? How much of % Diff?
- Drive Space / Storage component.
I've got the % in an Excel spreadsheet somewhere. I'll look up the numbers tom.

The iPad 7th gen only has A10 so it will be same or slower than 2017 iPad Pro (A10X) and more or less on par with 2015 iPad Pro (A9X), iirc. The iPad 8th gen (A12) is around double the performance of the A9X in single-core. Real-world difference would depend on the task. Most tasks, you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

As for storage, depends on how much you want local/offline. If you have a lot of image-heavy content, I'd recommend going with 64 GB at the very least. System+Other tend to use up 10-15 GB of space already.

Mind, I personally wouldn't want to go below 256 GB. My favorite manga+reading list sits at ~150 GB. Culling it below that would be painful.

Last edited:

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, the 12.9 and 10.2 have the same aspect ratio, so the width and height scale by the same factor as the diagonals (the 12.9 display is 26% wider and 26% taller) and the area scales by the square of that ratio. So you get 60% extra area with the 12.9 Pro vs a 10.2 iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have iPad of all sizes and for what you want to do I would strongly suggest a first gen 12.9 with 128GB storage at least. Some second gen 12.9 have issues. First gen are still pretty good. As for battery, you can always replace it as some point with Apple for around 100 bucks (mind you no later than first half of 2022).
You will benefit more from the additional screen real estate than from the increased speed.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
The last 3/4 posts pretty much have sealed my Fate for now :D .. will reply in detail as I get a chance :D

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
You are my new messiah! :D

PS: Now how to test/ ascertain for this when getting a used one from the market?

There are Pencil lookalikes that primarily work by mimicking finger input. Then there are the Pencil clones that use the same technology used by Apple and are just as accurate for writing albeit missing features such as tilt and pressure. Really more like Logitech Crayon clones in Apple Pencil-like chassis.
Yeah. I think for simple markup purposes & highlighting/ annotation, I think I should be okay with non-pencil for now. Maybe keep an eye out for a used/ cheap pencil deal in the future.
The iPad 7th gen only has A10 so it will be same or slower than 2017 iPad Pro (A10X) and more or less on par with 2015 iPad Pro (A9X), iirc. The iPad 8th gen (A12) is around double the performance of the A9X in single-core. Real-world difference would depend on the task. Most tasks, you probably wouldn't notice a difference.
Do share those Excel % sheet/ data if you can. Curious. Not just for myself but to see how Apple has evolved their Chips in gens.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Any suggestions for an inexpensive 12.9 case/ cover - My AMZN US search > Prime > Sort Low to High did not show anything other than 2018/ 2020 ones being peddled.

Would any of those of certain variety work for the 1/2nd Gen?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I checked out my spreadsheet (scores based on Geekbench 4). Looks like the A12 is around double the A9 in single-core but is only 60% faster than A9X. It's 2.6x the speed of A9 and 2.3x of A9X in multi-core, though.

I don't have benchmarks for the iPad 8th gen but it's the same specs as Air 3 anyway so I just copied those scores.

Pretty amazing to see how far Apple has come since the Apple A5(X). You'll notice the jump from generation to generation isn't as huge as it used to be. Hence we're seeing iPads performing very well for years compared to the major slow downs we used to see after just 2-3 major iOS updates.

C2CAAB43-ACB1-4E4A-B160-DE9310323828.png

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Any suggestions for an inexpensive 12.9 case/ cover - My AMZN US search > Prime > Sort Low to High did not show anything other than 2018/ 2020 ones being peddled.

Would any of those of certain variety work for the 1/2nd Gen?

Include 2017 in your search. Here's one of the first results I got searching for ipad pro 12.9 case 2017.

Mind, I tend to find the hard plastic cases pretty brittle so I prefer the soft/flexible TPU ones even if they're a bit pricier and heavier.

Here's the one I'm using:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Left-to-right: 12.9, 10.5, 10.2, 9.7

View attachment 1684535
Has anyone on the forums posted such a Dark/Light Pic of Old 12.9 Pro vs the Newer 12.9 Pro vs the new 11 inch ones? Just curious to see all next to each other.
ipad pro 12.9 case 2017.
Ah! Makes sense. I guess 2015 will also help?
Mind, I tend to find the hard plastic cases pretty brittle so I prefer the soft/flexible TPU ones even if they're a bit pricier and heavier.
I usually hated the soft silicone type for my iPhone - Always used to get stuck in my jeans pockets. But maybe this is a thought for iPad not going into my jeans pockets :D

PS: Could you share the actual excel. Would like to play with it a bit and share back with you. Love your analysis style. Reminds me of me :D ... Even the Dark Room pics is what apple should be showing.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
One more question:

What would be the correct way to test the Lightning to USB3 connector/ adapter for USB 3 speeds?
via an External SSD? + Using some benchmark App or just copy files? How?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ah! Makes sense. I guess 2015 will also help?

I usually hated the soft silicone type for my iPhone - Always used to get stuck in my jeans pockets. But maybe this is a thought for iPad not going into my jeans pockets :D

PS: Could you share the actual excel. Would like to play with it a bit and share back with you. Love your analysis style. Reminds me of me :D

The 2017 model has a LED flash in the back. A case designed with only the 2015 in mind could block that flash.

As for the Excel, sorry, too much effort to clean it up and transfer it from PC to iPad when MacRumors wouldn't even let me attach Excel files from iPad (not interested in using any file sharing sites/workarounds).

Mind, display size is same on 2018/2020 and 2015/2017 iPad Pro 12.9. It's just that 2018/2020 have rounded corners plus much smaller chassis.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
I've been using a 1st gen IPP 12.9 for years, and it's great. I have a number of the smaller iPads (9.7) lying around for the kids and such, and really, they're just too small to read on for long. My phone is an iPhone SE 1, so when I say the 9.7 is too small it's too small.

The 12.9 is light (if it's not in a case) and it's super-easy to annotate stuff. It's basically a MacBook Air without the keyboard. They're also really cheap right now; get the 128GB one so you can keep your library in it. You can get a case with a pencil holder, or just get one of those stick-on pencil holders.

You'll never notice that it's slow.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've been using a 1st gen IPP 12.9 for years, and it's great. I have a number of the smaller iPads (9.7) lying around for the kids and such, and really, they're just too small to read on for long. My phone is an iPhone SE 1, so when I say the 9.7 is too small it's too small.

Depends on your eyesight. Over 10 years ago, I used to read on the 3.5" OG iPhone with Stanza and I was already happy with that. Nowadays, I wouldn't want to read on the 6.1" iPhone.

I'm still perfectly fine with using the 9.7" iPads for PDF, though. I annotate letter-size PDFs side by side and 2x 9.7" iPads in portrait still offers more screen real estate than one 12.9" iPad in landscape.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
As for the Excel, sorry, too much effort to clean it up and transfer it from PC to iPad when MacRumors wouldn't even let me attach Excel files from iPad (not interested in using any file sharing sites/workarounds).
Excel on iOS is typically easy connected to multiple online drives; iCloud, OneDrive, DropBox etc. I can share a folder from mine or my email if you can email. Whatever might work/ feel easy for you. Thanks again for all the insights and inputs and i highly appreciate it. PS: Lunch on me if we cross paths next I am state side.
I'm still perfectly fine with using the 9.7" iPads for PDF, though. I annotate letter-size PDFs side by side and 2x 9.7" iPads in portrait still offers more screen real estate than one 12.9" iPad in landscape.
Ha ha! You definitely found a use case for using 2 iPads side by side :D :p Jobs soul would be so tickled ha ha!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Excel on iOS is typically easy connected to multiple online drives; iCloud, OneDrive, DropBox etc. I can share a folder from mine or my email if you can email. Whatever might work/ feel easy for you. Thanks again for all the insights and inputs and i highly appreciate it. PS: Lunch on me if we cross paths next I am state side.

Ha ha! You definitely found a use case for using 2 iPads side by side :D :p Jobs soul would be so tickled ha ha!

Lol, I've already found use for 2 iPads side by side back in 2011 when I was cramming for my EIT exam.

I don't actually have the Excel file on the iPad. It's on my work desktop and contains my employer information so I don't feel comfortable sharing it, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.