Users - Please Tell Apple to Keep/Put Back In Firewire

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tjcampbell, Oct 16, 2008.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Just did it...

Let's hope this makes a difference! (not):rolleyes:

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Do you guys actually think Apple is going to go out of their way to make adjustments on the inner casing of the MacBooks to add firewire?

That will piss off current buyers of the new MacBook (including me), which means they will be flooded with thousands of calls from people demanding they get a replacement, or compensation. Then they'll have a lawsuit from that one idiot, like always.

Also, in the keynote, it was said that 50% of Mac buyers are new. They must've done some survey's around the world asking people, and I'm almost positive that they asked how many people used firewire.

Now, you guys are going to go and say "how bought those people in media, etc" Well, they are using/should be using the MBP anyways for that stuff, especially if they're in the professional field, so they do have access to a firewire port (800), which is backwards compatible.

I'm pretty sure excluding firewire 400 in the MacBook's is only hurting a few customers, out of the millions that they have.

4. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I am actually interested in this "petition."

Please keep us all updated. I would like to know Apple's possible response.

In my honest opinion, I doubt they'll add it because it would only mean buy a MBP for it. But hey, you never know...

5. Peabody macrumors regular

good luck with this. I'm still waiting for a floppy drive too...

:)

6. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Thanks for that big waste. Go word-wank on another thread. This is for those that want FireWire on a MacBook.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Exactly what Apple will think of your petition.

You *might* get firewire in a 13" computer, but it wouldn't be until at least next summer. Can you wait that long for a new machine? Do you actually think they're going to run back to the engineering table and draw one up this week for a 1000 people (if you even get that many signatures)? What is your goal and timeframe here? I can understand wanting them to know your needs, but the tone of some of these firewire threads makes it sound like people expect to see it on the store shelves next week, which is simply delusional.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I DO want it on my damn MacBook because my harddrive is firewire 400, now I'm forced to use USB, and have no USB's available.

This form is 100% useless.

9. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Frankly, all the Mac users I know who have only gotten Macs (all MacBooks) in the past few years have no idea what FireWire is. To them, it's as mysterious as the ExpressCard slot, cable clock or even DVI ports are to a lot of users. Most portable hard drives have USB connectivity, and it's also Apple's way of nudging people towards the Pro models. If you're working with audio and/or video equipment that's FireWire only as part of your job, then frankly you shouldn't be miffed that a product targeted at normal computer users (web, email, photos/videos and a bit of gaming perhaps) is no longer catering to your needs and get a MBP.

10. Chase817 macrumors member

Chase817

11. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Actually, no. Most DV camcorders use FireWire, and considering Apple glorifies the made-with-iMovie home movie (they ADVERTISE the new MacBook as being perfect for working in iMovie), imported from someone's FireWire-only camera, why would they do this? Why DID they do this?
    I personally don't use the FW on my MBP, but I do use it for my Pro Tools rack on my G5. I can understand the frustration, though, of omitting such a basic port.
    This isn't ADB omission (it was still included on the G3 B&W, plus simple adapters allowed for using them in USB ports), or even floppy disk omission, considering Apple placed its eggs in the zip drive basket. FireWire won't just work in a USB port with an adapter. It won't work over Ethernet, except, I think, in Windows. Maybe Apple feels the port is dated, but until they provide a viable, adaptable alternative, all they're doing is being cheapskates.

12. beret9987 macrumors regular

Yea.. I'm a poor college student with an older Sony DV Camera that only uses firewire and I want a mac. Ooh look, the new macbook is in my price range with EDU discount! Oh but wait! There's no firewire to import my footage with?! There is a certain niche about the younger generation that uses "older" equipment that has Firewire. And also, the MBP is bigger. You're telling me that to get ONE DAMN PORT, I have to go buy something thats 700 dollars more AND bigger, but I really want something that I can just shove into my backpack and go? Apple better fix this Macbook or just give me a 13.3"(or 14.1") Macbook Pro. I'll personally take either one.

13. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Yeah, for me it's also the size issue. I hit about ten countries a year. I used to travel with a MBP but it was a pain in the a$$ so I switched to a BlackBook. I was looking forward to the latest revision and if it had FireWire I would have bought one. The 15" is too big to jet around with.

14. iOrlando macrumors 68000

From appleinsider...

Attached Files:

15. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Great letter. It's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking right now.

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

How many times people?

MacBook no longer has FireWire because the people who buy MacBooks do not use FireWire! How hard is this to comprehend? This is a machine marketed almost entirely to students writing essays and listening to music - where does FireWire come into that equation?

And before anyone says "but the MacBook Pro had FW800 reinstated!" just remember that the people who buy Pro are vastly different to the people who buy MacBook.

17. beret9987 macrumors regular

Well I called customer relations and they said that Apple was actually taking this feedback pretty seriously. For the fact, I have like 50 clients and I told them I could not recommend a macbook to them anymore but instead told them to buy a previous generation Macbook, they seemed to take me a tad more seriously. I even got the guy's number and he said he would keep me updated on anything he could come up with or to call him with any other feedback. Here's to hoping for Firewire or a smaller Macbook Pro?

18. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

Not to mention it wouldn't fit on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Anyone see free space by the ports there? I don't.

19. niekverw macrumors newbie

20. niekverw macrumors newbie

there are so many threads about it because alot of people use FW, why else would there be so many post about this issue on EVERY forum

21. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

They could if they changed the design of the laptop, but that's not happening for a few years.

22. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

by-Ethernet approach?

Maybe a simpler solution is for Apple to develop an Ethernet/Firewire adapter that would provide basic functionality, at least the level of FW400. If they provided a dependable, reasonably priced device, they could satisfy the small but strident minority who insist on FW without having to completely redesign the MB.

23. cube macrumors G5

They just DID!!!

24. toontra macrumors 6502

I have a Macbbok and use firewire regularly - everyone else I know with a Macbook uses firewire regularly.

If you don't know what your talking about, best you don't bother posting.