Users Reporting 'Wrecked Scrolling' on Logitech Mice After macOS Sierra Update [Updated]

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Show me a better, more functional mouse than the MX Master and I'll switch. You won't. I waited years to get a mouse like this. A driver hiccup is worth the positives.
Exactly. I had the Magic Mouse and both Magic Trackpads and the MX Master beats all of them, especially for video editing.

I use "Logitech Options" instead of LCC. My MX Master mouse works perfectly in Sierra.
Have the LCC users tried replacing that with Logitech Options instead? (It's listed in their downloads, just a bit further down).
A few people have said the MX Master is running fine on Sierra. In fact I tested it with the first public beta and it was fine. I reverted back because Final Cut kept crashing.

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
Mine is already in the U.S., at home, in my hands.

It was supposed to be delivered mid-October. I was like "F it". Reserved in store and picked up the same day. Cancelled pre-order.

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I'm having issues with my cheap, $15 HP wireless (usb, not even BT) mouse. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just branded as such and was manufactured by logitech. The problem I have is in ppt and xcl documents; it will just change scroll directions mid scroll. Doesn't do that in safari or pages/keynote/numbers though. Like I needed another reason to avoid office.

ddives

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
M705 had same broke back and forward function so went to the LCC and remapped the buttons to keystrokes so that they emulate "cmd + left arrow" for thumb back button and "cmd + right arrow" for thumb forward button. Works like a charm!

Here's a screenshot of what you should make it look like:
upload_2016-9-22_12-11-41.png

MauiDad

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
No offense to all you rodent lovers, but try the trackpad! Go to settings and turn all features ON, and goto accessibility Mouse and trackpad, trackpad, turn on enable dragging - three finger drag.

This is super touch without smearing your display or having to reach awkwardly across the screen.

I didn't believe it at first, but after being encouraged to try it, I'll never miss a mouse!

But, each to their own.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
No offense to all you rodent lovers, but try the trackpad! Go to settings and turn all features ON, and goto accessibility Mouse and trackpad, trackpad, turn on enable dragging - three finger drag.

This is super touch without smearing your display or having to reach awkwardly across the screen.

I didn't believe it at first, but after being encouraged to try it, I'll never miss a mouse!

But, each to their own.
Apple trackpads are great but certain applications. Photoshop, gaming etc. demand a level of precision that is difficult or impossible to replicate without a decent mouse.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I can imagine the email response...

Phil,

I love the graphic user interface but the mouse broke...
-Steve

Steve,
Can I interest you in a Magic Trackpad?
-Phil

p.s. Our iPhone docks work great for listening to wired headphones while charging your new shiny iPhone 7.
So...You generated a fake conversation about what a deceased CEO would have said in this matter? Interesting.

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
MacOS Sierra didn't bring any improvements to scrolling that iOS 10 did. Actually Sierra is worse than El Capitan.

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/10611/the-ios-10-review/6

"In iOS 10 Apple has recognized that problems in their own APIs have played a part in dropping scrolling performance on iOS.

It honestly surprises me that Apple didn't make these changes sooner, because the impact on performance is dramatic. The iPhone 5s on iOS 10 has better scrolling performance than it ever has in the previous three years."

I wanted these iOS 10 scrolling improvements to Sierra also, but no...

thatanonymoususer

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2015
If you bought a peripheral that needs a control panel to interface with it...you're doing mac wrong
To be honest, you can get a lot of functionality from the Control panel. I have things like sshfs, SmoothMouse, a keyboard modifier, and Logitech Options in there. I like the Mac's customizability and scripting functions, and it wouldn't be nearly the power-user system it is now without some ability to extend the preferences.

Why would anyone use this atrocity of a thing on a beautiful Mac?
Apple makes great trackpads, iThings, and computers, but they suck at making comfortable mice (and durable cables - but that's another discussion). I can scroll sideways, go back and forward, scroll endlessly, and do all of the standard magic mouse gestures using the side button with a mouse that is decent enough to game with. Why not use it?

As much as people complain about Macs being a more closed system, it's these features that make Mac a lot more customizable than many think.

michaelant

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2006
Well, can anyone recommend a brand of ergonomic mouse other than Logitech that doesn't have so many problems with their drivers?

I've been using an MX series Logitech mouse forever, and I like the feel of it so much better than an Apple mouse, and yes, I do use the extra buttons for stuff, all the time. But their drivers have been problematic forever, it seems.

EsqCats

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Hi,
I have one of the affected models - I noticed the problem immediately and was able to fix it by using the latest version of LLC 3.9.4, available here:
http://www.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/mouse/mac/lcc3.9.4.zip
(Released on 26, July 2016)

Since updating I haven't had any issues (it actually fixed some duplication issues I had under the old software, along with an issue where the mouse wouldn't immediately work after a reboot.)

I didn't realise the software was available as the default download page shows an old version of the software (until the I selected the latest version of OS X from a not very obvious drop down menu) - which could be tricking people into thinking they have the latest version of the LLC software.

Some users are reporting performance issues with Logitech's mice accessories after updating to macOS Sierra, mostly citing problems centered around "laggy" scrolling and some unresponsive customized buttons. Users have specifically mentioned that the M705 Marathon Laser Mouse and Performance Mouse MX are among products affected, but a wider swath of Logitech's mice lineup is likely included.

The reason behind the problems, and how wide it could reach, is because of an incompatibility issue between the Logitech Control Center app and macOS Sierra. As mentioned by a poster on the Logitech forums, on the latest 3.9.4 software for LCC, the M705's forward and back buttons were reported as "not working," while scrolling was being problematic as well.

The M705 Marathon Laser Mouse (left) and Performance Mouse MX (right)

A separate report, posted on StackExchange, detailed a similar issue with Logitech's mice on macOS Sierra. The user described their mouse as having "soggy inertia" scrolling in native Apple apps, and "choppy" scrolling in third-party apps. Ultimately, they found that updating to macOS Sierra "wrecked scrolling" on the Logitech mouse.
The Logitech Control Center Mac app allows users to customize the features of their Logitech accessories -- mainly mice and keyboards -- along with basic features like notifications for low battery life and when each device has a firmware update. Its incompatibility with Sierra appears to be the source of the problem users are describing online. Unfortunately, Logitech has confirmed that "LCC is not available on Mac Sierra," and that "there is no release date known" for when it might launch.
The same user who mentioned "wrecked scrolling" did appear to find some solutions to the problem, although they noted that everything was just "temporary band-aid tweaks" in the face of Logitech's lack of support. The user noted that messing around with the scroll and zoom settings in System Preferences > Mouse could help slightly, as well as checking out System Preferences > Logitech Control Center > Vertical Scrolling.

Article Link: Users Reporting 'Wrecked Scrolling' on Logitech Mice After macOS Sierra Update

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
I never use the scrollwheel or navigation buttons.

M705:

- Scrollwheel working
- Back button puts the mouse in scrolling mode
- Forward button does nothing it seems

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
Sure it's not pretty, but the logitech M705 has been a fantastic mouse for me for a couple of years.
Magic mouse is fine for light work etc, but I never liked it for photoshop, after effects etc.

R3k

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
The mx is great. Can't stand apples mouse. Hand aches when using it for an extended period. Touch pad scroll is imprecise and a pain when navigating around apps like Logic.

Wouldn't be caught dead using the Logitech control center app though, apple drivers are fine.

KingofGotham1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Actually, the problem is more widespread than just Logitech.

I have a Razer keyboard and it will also not work with macOS Sierra. Just like the Logitech mouse (G700) that I also have, it will not work and that, since beta.

Today, on my iMac that i game on, i have not updated to macOS 10.12 because of that.

The same message from Razer (incompatible and no dates) applies.

Ugh my Razor DeathAdder will cause a kernel panic and the entire system to reboot when plugged in, waiting for an update soon hopefully.

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
Because you don't develop arthritis on it unlike Apple's terribly unergonomic crap...

Also, right click along with other customizable buttons are just far more practical for anyone that does more than just send pictures of their kids to gramma and grandpa.
[doublepost=1474567304][/doublepost]
So using that logic no one should use a graphics tablet or anything that offers features that aren't directly supported by the OS. You couldn't sound more ludicrous if you tried. Did you actually think that through before you posted it?

Show me a better, more functional mouse than the MX Master and I'll switch. You won't. I waited years to get a mouse like this. A driver hiccup is worth the positives.
The smug attitude from so many members on MacRumors is deplorable.

I've owned a Logitech MX510 and MX518 for about 10 years. Every time I bought a new Mac I've thrown out the included mouse, they're terrible garbage and insanely uncomfortable. I use USB Overdrive to add shortcuts for my buttons for Illustrator and Photoshop. I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to CHOICE??