Users Reporting 'Wrecked Scrolling' on Logitech Mice After macOS Sierra Update [Updated]

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
No offense to all you rodent lovers, but try the trackpad! Go to settings and turn all features ON, and goto accessibility Mouse and trackpad, trackpad, turn on enable dragging - three finger drag. I didn't believe it at first, but after being encouraged to try it, I'll never miss a mouse!
Trackpad's features are very good, but not good enough for some types of work. I tried editing video using only trackpad... too slow and imprecise.

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
No offense to all you rodent lovers, but try the trackpad! Go to settings and turn all features ON, and goto accessibility Mouse and trackpad, trackpad, turn on enable dragging - three finger drag.

This is super touch without smearing your display or having to reach awkwardly across the screen.

I didn't believe it at first, but after being encouraged to try it, I'll never miss a mouse!

But, each to their own.
No thanks. It's nowhere near as precise and fast for photoshop work and completely useless for gaming especially with FPS games like Battlefield.

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
So...You generated a fake conversation about what a deceased CEO would have said in this matter? Interesting.
It's an example of a new variant of fan fiction.
"50 Shades of Apple" - a romance which traces the relationship between a tech multinational's employees and their dead CEO.

Reactions: Feenician

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Logitech is the worst company for mouse. I have logitech mx master mouse...and it' skips and lags...often.

blodyholy

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have a Performance MX and I haven't had a *lot* of issues, but some. I've never been able to use the Back or Forward buttons on the mouse (thanks Logitech!), but thanks to those that suggested USB Overdrive I've successfully mapped them accordingly. Highly recommend that utility!

Reactions: bladerunner2000

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Why would anyone use this atrocity of a thing on a beautiful Mac?
Because, just maybe, the mouse by Apple is an atrocious, non-ergonomic garbage? I know because I owned one. It felt uncomfortable, but I kind of got used to it and also liked the touch surface/gestures. BUT. After a few months with this mouse I started to experience noticeable pain in my hand and index finger. Many people complained - so I hoped Apple would understand the mistake and release a better, more ergonomic version. But what did they do? They released exactly the same garbage, only with a charging port on the bottom. Bravo!

I currently use Logitech MX Master - no more pain. LOVE that mouse - super ergonomic, practical and awesome looking too. And, thankfully, I don't have the issues mentioned in this article.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Have you ever used a Logitech mouse? I have the Master MX and absolutely love it, way more ergonomic than Magic Mouse/Trackpad, has more functionality and great battery life.
I don't know about that...i'm currently using that model right now as we speak...and it skips/lag often.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
"As of right now, LCC is not available on Mac Sierra. And there is no release date known.
Once it is available, it will be posted."

They've only had, you know, a couple MONTHS to test out their software.
I've had two Logitech mice bite the dust after a year or so, and their software is total crap. I'm finding the cheapo Amazon Basics mouse I got for <$15 is actually quite a bit more reliable and needs nothing extra installed. Sad.

KernelG

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
I love my Logitech G700s (and other models before that), though I'd recommend using SteerMouse to drive it instead of LCC. I know it sucks to pay extra for a driver, but SteerMouse has never given me any problems and updates have always been swift. They have a v5 beta right now that is a-ok with Sierra (v4 was not, and now I know why).

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Why would anyone use this atrocity of a thing on a beautiful Mac?
Because Apple, for whatever reason, has historically made the worst mice imaginable. Remember the circular puck that shipped with the original iMac? Or the one with that awful "pea" scrollwheel that would stop working frequently just because it had touched your fingers? The Magic Mouse is a sh***y piece of glass with an unnecessary and over-sensitive touch surface. The only thing they've done right in this area is the standalone Trackpad.

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
Because, just maybe, the mouse by Apple is an atrocious, non-ergonomic garbage? I know because I owned one. It felt uncomfortable, but I kind of got used to it and also liked the touch surface/gestures. BUT. After a few months with this mouse I started to experience noticeable pain in my hand and index finger. Many people complained - so I hoped Apple would understand the mistake and release a better, more ergonomic version. But what did they do? They released exactly the same garbage, only with a charging port on the bottom. Bravo!
I presume the magic mouse was aimed at people who don't use a mouse for many hours without pause...
I still have mine and use it for light office work while travelling, it fits into laptop bag nicely.
But it is useless - and uncomfortable - if used in studio for many hours.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
No offense to all you rodent lovers, but try the trackpad! Go to settings and turn all features ON, and goto accessibility Mouse and trackpad, trackpad, turn on enable dragging - three finger drag.

This is super touch without smearing your display or having to reach awkwardly across the screen.

I didn't believe it at first, but after being encouraged to try it, I'll never miss a mouse!

But, each to their own.
I use both mouse and trackpad. This is my current setup:

I've learned to use my left hand for gestures, smooth scrolling and occasionally pointer as well. But for precision work in Photoshop, Illustrator - nothing beats the mouse (especially such a good one as Logitech MX Master).

Reactions: bladerunner2000

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
I have a Performance MX and I haven't had a *lot* of issues, but some. I've never been able to use the Back or Forward buttons on the mouse (thanks Logitech!), but thanks to those that suggested USB Overdrive I've successfully mapped them accordingly. Highly recommend that utility!
USB Overdrive and Steermouse are both great. USB Overdrive will also work with game controllers (not sure about steermouse). It's pretty awesome with a SNES or Sony PS type controller and mapping all the buttons to your liking for things like DosBox or OpenEMU.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Middlesbrough, England
Hah.

Under El Cap my MX Master has been an absolute train wreck when connected by Bluetooth to iMac. Sometimes refuses to connected, often skips when moving around or even just sticks for about 5 seconds before returning to life.

Switch to windows bootcamp and it's perfect. So it's obviously not a hardware issue.

I had troubles with my previous mouse using the USB receiver too, same skipping issues but not in windows.

So macOS just hates other mice I think. Not tried it properly yet under sierra as have been using trackpad, but I plan on wiping and starting fresh. Both macOS and windows have been through several upgrades each now, time for a clean out

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
The mx is great. Can't stand apples mouse. Hand aches when using it for an extended period. Touch pad scroll is imprecise and a pain when navigating around apps like Logic.

Wouldn't be caught dead using the Logitech control center app though, apple drivers are fine.
I agree with you about ergonomics and I also remember the LCC being garbage. But in my experience the new Logitech Options software is very nice, clean, modern and reliable (but you probably need more or less recent Logitech hardware to use it).

Reactions: R3k

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I've noticed some weirdness with mine too.. No biggie though. I love my logitech mice, however many times i try to like the recent Apple mice I end up with hand cramp and .. It's just not as handy for the things I do, at all. :(

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Using a relatively new Logitech Anywhere MX 2, and using the Unifying dongle (using Bluetooth had interference issues with the wifi at school). Also using Logitech's Options software, and all is working as it should.

Clean install of Sierra on 2015 MBP.

kanselmo

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I use both mouse and trackpad. This is my current setup:

I've learned to use my left hand for gestures, smooth scrolling and occasionally pointer as well. But for precision work in Photoshop, Illustrator - nothing beats the mouse (especially such a good one as Logitech MX Master).
I have this setup as well (though with the trackpad and mouse reversed) and it's the best of both worlds, in my opinion.
[doublepost=1474574241][/doublepost]My Logitech M355 works normally. I did have to remap the scroll wheel tilting behavior in LCC, though.

Reactions: Sandstorm

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Logitech Options doesn't let you assign a keystroke to a button with the MX Master in Sierra. Everything else is working for me.

I switched to Steermouse for the time being, and that works great, but it is ridiculous that Logitech couldn't have had a working version ready for Sierra.

rimcrazy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
You're kidding, right? The MX Master is the best mouse I've ever uses, and it also looks amazing.
[doublepost=1474562696][/doublepost]
I use Logitech Options and I am having problems.
Glad it works for you. I went through 3 MX Master mice on my Mac and gave up. IMHO they are the worst mice Logitech has ever made bar none. Scroll broke on 2 and buttons on 1 and this is ONLY about 1 month use. Returns were through Amazon thank goodness. Last one through Logitech and I had to jump through 16,000 hoops to get them to take it back. Went back to Performance MX. Don't use LCC. Don't need it if all you need is a good 3 button mouse. I do CAD/3D work with Modo, Maya, ZBrush, Nuke and you can't work any of those programs without a 3 button mouse and Apple Mice are garbage for that kind of work.