Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Was thinking of picking up a Gold Stainless Steel watch as it would suit a lot of my work outfits with a dark sports band.

However I also like to hit the gym 3 times a week. Would the gold stainless steel look ok still? Anyone use it for workouts?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Depends. Do you touch up your hair, makeup, and lipstick before working out at the gym? Or are you more a “whatever’s comfortable and doesn’t get me kicked out” person? :)

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Depends. Do you touch up your hair/makeup/lipstick before working out at the gym, or are you more a “whatever’s comfortable and doesn’t get me kicked out” person?

I’m a guy, so I’m just more of a “whatever’s comfortable” type of person. I just know the aluminium is more ‘gym like’...

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
The SS is absolutely fine for the Gym. I hit the gym 4-5 times a week with mine and nothing has happened to any of mine since series 0.

Reactions: Kaloyan

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I had two Series 2 - one Black Aluminum and one SS - and used to switch to the Aluminum on days off and to exercise. Now have a SBSS Series 4 and aside from usually switching to a Sports band (more because I sweat a lot than it looks less fancy) I have worn it to a gym, outside jogging and bike riding. Don't think anyone looks closely enough - though occasionally at the screen - to even care what it looks like on.

Reactions: deeddawg

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I just know the aluminium is more ‘gym like’...
Do you mean weight-wise? Sure, the SS watch is a little heavier, but not that much. The amount of metal in an apple watch is pretty small, and now it's even less than in previous models (thanks to the full-ceramic back.) It shouldn't be an issue methinks.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Do you mean weight-wise? Sure, the SS watch is a little heavier, but not that much.
47.9g vs 36.7g for the 44mm watches. So about 4/10th of an ounce. Not much relatively speaking. Depends on what you’re doing. Lots of stuff it’d be effectively meaningless. You might notice when running but lots of runners wear the behemoth Garmin Fenix and don’t fall over from it’s weight.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
SS is the only suitable AW for the gym. Speaking in terms of durability. And its not even close. It sounds like your more concerned with color. Color is subjective to whomever is wearing the watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
However I also like to hit the gym 3 times a week. Would the gold stainless steel look ok still? Anyone use it for workouts?

With the gold stainless, you at least have the Sapphire display, which would be the most crucial part you want to protect if you are in the gym around weights. And the gold stainless also includes a physical vapor deposition coating (PVD), which is a protective layer around the casing against minor scuffs and scratches.

That said, I actually regularly body-build on a five day schedule, and I don’t wear my Apple Watch in the gym, Being there is too many close encounters with weights and machines, I just didn’t want to take the risk of damaging it, but that’s my own personal prerogative. A Couple of other members had some unfortunate experiences with their Apple Watches and weights, where it was damaged.

Reactions: athletejmv

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I'm pretty sure no one will really care which AW you're wearing at the gym. I'm also confident that someone who works out wouldn't notice the extra 4/10 of an ounce that the SS model weighs.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
The only thing I notice is someone has an apple watch, I never notice the finish they have or model.

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
i wear my stainless at the gym and for all workouts. there are some kettlebell exercises i will take off my watch for but other than that i don't worry about it.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Been wearing my SBSS to CrossFit and for swimming for a week. Feels great. Looks great. Wearing with a sport loop (not the sport band it came with). I flip it to the inside of my wrist for kettlebell stuff. I upgraded from an S3 aluminum with which I used a skinomi screen protector (actually almost 2 full packs of 6 in 11 months - corners peel and looks terrible after a few weeks). I am loving not using any screen protector whatsoever. But I do fear the day I smacked it on something hard and metal, which will happen. The true test of DLC and sapphire durability I suppose...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i wear my stainless at the gym and for all workouts. there are some kettlebell exercises i will take off my watch for but other than that i don't worry about it.

Yes, the kettlebells can be very problematic. Because when you curl your wrists to bring it up from the ground, other members have had the kettlebell hit the display. I don’t personally use kettle bells, but others have and mentioned the same thing you did.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Thanks for your replies everyone, hard to source a SS in Aus without a long wait time!! Will be getting one soon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.