Using iPad in Car, as Driver

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolant113, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

I was wondering if anybody uses there ipad in there car when there driving. I have a floor seat mount for my ipad and i use it for music when i am driving. But i feel like i could do more with it. What do you do?:apple::apple:

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

For your and others' safety, you shouldn't use your iPad while driving. Except while in traffic jams :D

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Jesus christ, stop that. As if people on cel phones weren't bad enough. Are you serious?

4. mattraehl macrumors 6502

I've heard it makes a sick GPS. There was recently a concept car (by Ford I think) that replaced the media/navigation/camera screen and controls with a slot for an iPad. We'll get there eventually, and it will be awesome.

5. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Ummm...I drive. Normally I never tell people what to do, but when it comes to my own safety, I ask you please DON'T USE YOUR IPAD WHILE DRIVING!

6. RoyWill macrumors member

I think even in traffic jams. Watching iPad when driving pretty much the same as DWI!

7. jon1987 macrumors regular

Your just trying to wind people up right?

But if you are being serious, I'm glad the roads I drive on are the opposite side of the Atlantic to you.

8. Jus711 macrumors member

I use mine with a dash mount everyday in my car. It's good for gps, music, quick glance of the calendar, movies for my daughter in the backseat, etc. I have done FaceTime while driving, but just to see if it would work, lol.

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

10. Jus711 macrumors member

Actually, you could argue its safer than talking on a cell while driving (if you don't have Bluetooth), at least with the iPad mounted both hands are on the wheel, but yes I wouldn't make a habit of it. As to the OP's original point though, I think the iPad in the car is great, it's almost the perfect head unit, and if you port Siri to work on it its really great or wait for iPad 3 which will probably have Siri out of the box.

11. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

And how the hell are you going to do anything, even control your music with both hands on the wheel? At least with my car stereo, I don't have to take my eyes off the road to find the buttons and knobs with one hand. With a touchscreen there is no feedback other than visual, you HAVE to take your eyes off the road to control it. Bad bad idea.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Mount it above your steering wheel, turn on rear camera and drive through the iPad's screen. Best game ever.

13. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

(Using iPad in Car, as Driver)...should be allowed only with a navigator app.

14. mattraehl macrumors 6502

That's what Siri is for.

15. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

...Using the iPad while you're driving..?!?!! What can you possibly be thinking?? Will it take a broadside hit to make you realize it's just plain stupid? Ditch the iPad and focus on driving!!!!!

16. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Driving while using an iPad? Surely you jest. Or have no common sense.

Whatever, should things go wrong and you injure someone, don't whine when you get sued. Presuming, of course, you survive the crash.

17. Jus711 macrumors member

I don't know where you all have been, but there have been video touchscreen head unit/gps/car stereos out for years, the iPad just adds more functionality. Obviously, you don't tinker with it while your doing 80 down the highway or in traffic, but at a stop light or a quick glance to change a song, etc. is no problem. In fact there are several manufacturers of iPad car dash mounts.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You know, if the camera could be set for longwave IR, it might be good for driving at night. Moonrunning, even. Assuming your windshield is not a big time emitter.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just a bad idea if you ask me except for GPS, which is understandable.

20. MarkN macrumors member

I like playing Need For Speed while driving on the freeway! It makes the game come alive! :D

21. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

ehhh...still seems like an unwise decision...even for GPS, because most dedicated GPS units have verbal commands.

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You do realise that no other Apple device besides the iPhone 4S currently has Siri, right?

23. M Quick, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I use it for navigation, movies/music and internet browsing, movies and internet is mostly for the passengers to use or when i'm standing STILL in queues or things like that. But as my in car navigation has broken down it's a much better replacement imho as i got it all + internet... which is sweet!

Using it for navigation is no different than a tomtom o garmin gps btw people.

24. mattraehl macrumors 6502

The discussion context of my response was "future iPad" which will almost certainly have Siri.

25. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

I would call this "Natural Selection" if stupid ****ing morons didn't bring intelligent people with them in death...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.