Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickster9224

macrumors 6502a
This is the stupidest thing I've heard all week.. iPads are not meant to be used by a driver, regardless of how many fancy mounts you have.. Is playing with it in the car really worth risking your's or some innocent person's life.. Seriously, that's just plain stupid, you could kill someone.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Could we please put this thread into wasteland it seems like the o.p. kinda lost his mind.

Jus711

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Wow, I'm really surprised by the level of Ludditry on a tech-related forum. There is nothing inherently unsafe about using an iPad in a car. Yes, if you watch a movie while driving down the highway, that's crazy. But, taking a quick glance at a gps, changing a song, having something for the passenger(s) to search on the Internet or for entertainment, is all fine. I think it's much safer than talking on a cellphone in your hand, which people have been doing-and im sure most of the people on this board have done-for years. Even FaceTime is just like taking a call over Bluetooth, you're really just using it for sound, except the other person can see you driving-no big deal. And, if you use Siri-which with the jailbreak you can-then its even a more convenient and safer option in the car. Voice-activated systems in-car have been around for years and are becoming the norm.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I'm going to get flamed...

I've been doing since Portable DVD Players came out and with Apple releasing the iPad, they actually made it more easier/better with better LCD, Touch, etc.

I wouldn't do this if I knew I couldn't. There are drivers on the road that can't drive for sh...

Just last night this dipstick stopped half way making a left turn at a light and I'm getting criticize because I have my PlayBook set up in my Coupe.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I don't know where you all have been, but there have been video touchscreen head unit/gps/car stereos out for years, the iPad just adds more functionality. Obviously, you don't tinker with it while your doing 80 down the highway or in traffic, but at a stop light or a quick glance to change a song, etc. is no problem. In fact there are several manufacturers of iPad car dash mounts.

I recently was given a loaner car with a touch screen nav/radio. Interestingly, the nav unit automatically disabled a lot of functionality as soon as the car started driving. I had to set the destination before I started the trip.... I don't think the iPad has a similar safety interlock.... though it would be a good feature in an app.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I'm going to get flamed...

I've been doing since Portable DVD Players came out and with Apple releasing the iPad, they actually made it more easier/better with better LCD, Touch, etc.

I wouldn't do this if I knew I couldn't. There are drivers on the road that can't drive for sh...

Just last night this dipstick stopped half way making a left turn at a light and I'm getting criticize because I have my PlayBook set up in my Coupe.

You will eventually get flamed as you car burns after hitting a semi...

And the Darwin Award goes to... We have a tie between you and the guy that turned left at a light...

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
_adc17fe2e3bf9848f6d024eb4e013a8747c49a74759857.61409920.jpg

Not a good idea.....

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Wow, I'm really surprised by the level of Ludditry on a tech-related forum. ... I think it's much safer than talking on a cellphone in your hand, which people have been doing-and im sure most of the people on this board have done-for years. ....

Our provincial WorkSafe organization looked at the use of cell phones and driving, as part of their mandate to protect workers' safety. Their conclusions were (and I'm summarizing here) 1) The number of collisions they could link to cell-phone use seemed to be small... but ... and this was a big "but".... people involved in a collision who were using a phone would be unlikely to report that they were distracted, so any stats that link phone use and collisions would likely be understating the link.

They also concluded that just holding a phone conversation (hands-free or not) is hugely distracting. Both physically (having to take your eyes off the road, hands off the wheel) and cognitively. Drivers have a harder time keeping position in traffic, and they will "see" a traffic problem in front of them.... but it takes time to disconnect their attention away from the phone conversation, and back to the road so that they will "notice" the traffic.

Conversations with passengers don't have this issue because (in most cases) a passenger can sense when it's time to shut-up, either through being aware of the traffic situation themselves - or from the body language of the driver that is tensing up.

Update: Sorry, forgot the link
Cheers

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I hate living in New Jersey... I really do. People cannot drive for their lives in this state and now I see why. Geez.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI

This explains why you should not. Other drivers are stupid, inconsiderate and not paying attention, which is why you need to focus on the road. Then, of course, there are dogs, children, bicycles and other things in your way: your first responsibility as a driver is to not hit things in your path, compromising your ability to do that is not forgivable. Do not be part of the problem.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I use the ipad for Navigation only and it is much better than a typical in car nav.
I set the destination while parked and then proceed to my destination.
Taking a glance while driving is no different than looking at your in car nav.
The benefit of the ipad is the bigger screen and the ability to 2 finger zoom in and out.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Wow, I'm really surprised by the level of Ludditry on a tech-related forum. There is nothing inherently unsafe about using an iPad in a car. Yes, if you watch a movie while driving down the highway, that's crazy. But, taking a quick glance at a gps, changing a song, having something for the passenger(s) to search on the Internet or for entertainment, is all fine. I think it's much safer than talking on a cellphone in your hand, which people have been doing-and im sure most of the people on this board have done-for years. Even FaceTime is just like taking a call over Bluetooth, you're really just using it for sound, except the other person can see you driving-no big deal. And, if you use Siri-which with the jailbreak you can-then its even a more convenient and safer option in the car. Voice-activated systems in-car have been around for years and are becoming the norm.

Lol don't worry about them. They just love to over-react and be self-righteous.

Assuming you don't have the hand eye-coordination of an 80 year old, its quite normal to do things while driving and not realistically endanger yourself or anyone else driving on the road with you.

To them, if you do anything that might increase the probability of POTENTIALLY making a mistake = you've just murdered someone.

Accidents happen because people make mistakes and have mental lapses in controlling their car, not because they checked their phone. I can drive on the freeway with one knee holding the wheel and am writing a whole paragraph via text to someone while music is blasting in the background and I am changing tracks, looking at the road only once every 5 seconds. AND I NEVER EVEN GOT CLOSE TO HAVING AN ACCIDENT. You can't explain that...

The truth is its not up to you to say just how skilled and capable of a multi-tasker and driver the said person is. If I had to make a blanket rule, I would probably err on the side of caution, because determining who can and can't do what, is impossible. But I don't illogically go over-board and act like no human on earth is fit or in control of his motor functions enough to handle the multi-tasking dynamics of driving and also doing something at the same time.

Driving is not that challenging guys. You're in a lane and you stay in it and you go straight. Once in a while you make a right or left turn.

People get in car accidents without being drunk or texting at the wheel all the time. (You can't refute that piece of evidence.) Over-reacting like its the end of the world is just illogical. People go whole lifetimes while doing stuff in their cars so spare me the safety-freak holier-than-thou drama and realize the world continues to exist without your "rules."

Last edited:

yellowroom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
UK
I can drive on the freeway with one knee holding the wheel and am writing a whole paragraph via text to someone while music is blasting in the background and I am changing tracks, looking at the road only once every 5 seconds. AND I NEVER EVEN GOT CLOSE TO HAVING AN ACCIDENT. You can't explain that...
I can only hope you're being ironic or something, because if you don't think being in charge of a ton of metal travelling at 60mph deserves your full attention then you have no business holding a driving license.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I can only hope you're being ironic or something, because if you don't think being in charge of a ton of metal travelling at 60mph deserves your full attention then you have no business holding a driving license.

You're not qualified to make that assessment nor are you aware what I personally am capable of. For all you know I can be the most trained stunt driver on earth with a huge capacity for multitasking and precice road awareness. How do you know I am not a race car driver, to which whom it is like second nature to drive to, and can maintain a perfect road awareness even whilst doing secondary auxiliary tasks? Did you ever look at it from that perspective? Different people have different levels of aptitudes and skills and what may be complicated to you might be effortless to me.

Its like that scene in Good Will Hunting where the math is just too easy for him compared to how it takes the professor time to figure it out and fumble through it.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
people involved in a collision who were using a phone would be unlikely to report that they were distracted, so any stats that link phone use and collisions would likely be understating the link.

Makes no difference what they admit. If a fatality is involved, that's one of the first things the police check - the cell phone records.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
looking at the road only once every 5 seconds. [...] Driving is not that challenging guys. You're in a lane and you stay in it and you go straight. Once in a while you make a right or left turn.

Only looking at the road every 400-500 feet? Never having to deal with other drivers doing stupid *****? No deer or dogs ever run into the road?

Driving itself isn't challenging, very true. It'd also be a lot safer without the inattentive drivers who think they can handle anything.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
You're not qualified to make that assessment nor are you aware what I personally am capable of. For all you know I can be the most trained stunt driver on earth with a huge capacity for multitasking and precice road awareness. How do you know I am not a race car driver, to which whom it is like second nature to drive to, and can maintain a perfect road awareness even whilst doing secondary auxiliary tasks? Did you ever look at it from that perspective? Different people have different levels of aptitudes and skills and what may be complicated to you might be effortless to me.

Its like that scene in Good Will Hunting where the math is just too easy for him compared to how it takes the professor time to figure it out and fumble through it.

Someone thinks highly of themselves...

yellowroom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
UK
For all you know I can be the most trained stunt driver on earth with a huge capacity for multitasking and precice road awareness. How do you know I am not a race car driver, to which whom it is like second nature to drive to, and can maintain a perfect road awareness even whilst doing secondary auxiliary tasks? .
But you're not, are you. Because no driver who would describe themselves as "highly trained" would make such oxymoronic statements as you have done in this thread.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I use a Garmin GPS while driving, absolutely nothing else (besides the radio/CD player).

Same here. I think it's absolutely crazy to even think of using an iPad while driving. I remember about 5 years ago I was driving down the Mass Turnpike, and passed a car and happened to look, and the driver had a BOOK open on the steering wheel and was reading and driving! Gawd.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
Same here. I think it's absolutely crazy to even think of using an iPad while driving. I remember about 5 years ago I was driving down the Mass Turnpike, and passed a car and happened to look, and the driver had a BOOK open on the steering wheel and was reading and driving! Gawd.

Lol. This reminds me of the time when I realized that I didn't do my biology homework until I started driving towards my school for class. I'm lucky I didn't die that day.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
...How do you know I am not a race car driver, to which whom it is like second nature to drive to, and can maintain a perfect road awareness even whilst doing secondary auxiliary tasks? ...

You're right.... every F-1 race car driver I've seen has exited their car holding a phone, and an iPad.... what could we have been thinking!

And those TV commentators, ex-drivers themselves usually, who talk about a split-second lapse in attention causing an accident on the track.... what were they thinking? Drivers now-a-days can multi-task!

sigh....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.