Using Verizon LTE iPad with AT&T 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by screensaver400, Mar 13, 2012.

1. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I suppose this comes down to whether the new iPads are GSM locked (I don't think the first and second iPads were).

Since the new Verizon iPad includes a SIM card slot and support for HSPA+, could we use it with AT&T's 3G/Fake 4G network? It wouldn't work with AT&T's LTE network because of band differences.

I think it would, but it's possible it's locked to Verizon as the only US carrier, but will support international carriers. Can someone confirm either way?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

3. profets macrumors 68040

Until someone gets a hold of one on Friday and pops in an AT&T sim we won't know for sure.

My guess is that it will work on AT&T.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Wha?????
    All 4G models are the same PCB board. This means you can change whatever carrier you want. The 2012 iPad will support both Verizon AND AT&T LTE networks. The iPads will not be GSM locked if they come from Apple since you are paying full retail price instead of a contract price.

----------

Ah, one more thing...
    If you're on Verizon, you won't be dropping down to HSPA+ like on AT&T. You'll be dropping down to EVDO instead.

5. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

From Apple's website:

Attached Files:

6. profets macrumors 68040

There are two models. Identical GSM/EDGE/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA hardware. But different LTE bands between the two.

7. screensaver400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I think its the antennas that are slightly different even though they use the same Qualcomm chip. The Verizon model needed to support LTE on 700 MHz and CDMA EV-DO on 800 MHz and 1900 MHz. The AT&T model needed to support LTE on both 700 MHz and 2100 MHz but not EV-DO. All models support HSPA and HSPA+, though not the T-Mobile USA bands.

There's no technical reason the Verizon model shouldn't work with AT&T HSPA+, but there may be a software or policy restriction.

8. PLin macrumors 6502

When my Verizon iPad arrives this Friday, the first thing I plan to do is insert my AT&T MicroSIM card from my iPad 2. If I don't get an AT&T 3G signal, then I'm going to consider exchanging it for an AT&T version.

I have a Rogers MicroSIM from Canada to try as well, which should roam on AT&T. If the Rogers SIM works but the AT&T SIM doesn't, then it's most likely a software restriction or a SIM slot that's partially locked to prevent use with AT&T.

9. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Please reply back on how that goes. Thanks.

10. noles200 macrumors member

So I ordered both the VZW and AT&T version. Don't have 4G in my area in NJ yet but expect that VZW may come out with it first here. That said I was thinking of testing both (I have VZW phone but never used AT&T) to see which had best signal.

Now, if I can keep the VZW and still get on AT&T 3G network for the short term (hopefully short term anyway - :) ) It would be a no brainer for me to keep VZW iPad.

The big question for me would be....how/where do I get an AT&T SIM?

Thanks.

11. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

That's what I'm thinking and I have my unlimited AT&T SIM to use!

12. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

The worst part about this is Apple is not fighting Verizon and At&t to give us a truely unlocked device. I have to buy a Candian iphone 4s from the Apple store to have a phone I can use on Verizon, At&t, or Sprint.

I want an ipad I can use on any network I want. I'll pay a premium for the freedom to get past this carrier crap.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have a verizon ipad coming. Im going to hold onto my ipad 2 ATT sim to try it since i have a little while left on my data plan and im selling the ipad 2 friday anyway.

14. Meever macrumors 6502a

I wonder if the whole Verizon/ATT LTE business is because of some arbitrary software lock or something?

I thought the chipset Apple is using pretty much supports all the bands.... Did the major carriers pressure Apple into locking certain bands? I wonder how this came about....

15. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Because Steve is not here to tell Verizon and At&t take it or leave it. Make me mad and I will buy you.

16. noles200 macrumors member

So if I'm reading right, the AT&T 3G micro SIM card will work in a VZW new iPad but a 4G will not.

Sorry for the nativity but I've always been with VZW so I don't really know squat about this SIM card stuff.

Again, just not sure how to get this SIM card. Went to AT&T site but it does not list Apple as an approved "phone" for the one they have for $6.

17. profets macrumors 68040

It's not verizon or at&t giving us the device, it's Apple. And it is a truly unlocked device.

The issue with this iPad is that there is a technical limitation of the current broadband chipset that prevents LTE bands for both AT&T and Verizon to be used together.

The LTE business is a technical limitation right now, nothing more.

Verizon has traditionally been a cdma carrier - a technology that does not use sim cards. Their LTE network however does use sim cards (as its an evolution of the GSM standard). For LTE service on the device from verizon you need to use a sim card.

Now, besides the LTE aspect of the iPad, both versions have identical GSM/3G technologies that AT&T and other carriers around the world use. They need sim card as well to connect. Being that iPads are all unlocked, one technically should be able to put an AT&T sim card into the "Verizon LTE" iPad and get gsm/3G connectivity. The best thing to do is ask for an iPad sim card from AT&T or an Apple store - sim cards are all standard but I believe they have certain stock of sim cards that are provisioned for iPad use ahead of time.

Hope that helps...

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

This is going to be interesting... the other question is about whether hotspot will work on a VeriPad on AT&T HSPA+, or whether the AT&T SIM will trigger it to shut down?

Verizon is definitely the better carrier for The New iPad...

19. sidgriffey macrumors member

Similar question:

Would putting an AT&T 3G sim in a New Verizon iPad negate the ability to get Verizon LTE service or would you be able to operate both assuming coverage?

20. profets macrumors 68040

As soon as an AT&T sim card is inserted I'm sure the Verizon connection won't work.

Really not sure how the behavior will be with the Verizon iPad having the ability to connect to CDMA without a sim card and how it affects other gsm networks.

21. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

But, they are marketing it as an LTE device. In that case, yes, it won't work on the other network. But If the international frequencies are the same as AT&T, there is no reason technically why it wouldn't work on GSM, H+. The only hangup I could see is if in configuring them for Verizon there is a software block on AT&T specifically to prevent that.

22. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I am not sure that is the reason the iphone 4s has the same issue of being locked. The Canadian version works on all US carriers. The US version is locked to the specific carrier. Ie: You cant use At&t on any CDMA network or Verizon on any US GSM network.

23. PLin macrumors 6502

When I was in Canada, I simply went into an Apple Store and asked for a Rogers SIM for my iPad, and they gave me one. It came in a sealed plastic pack with some instructions. It's a special SIM card that is programmed to work with the iPad Settings screen that lets you purchase the data plans. Apparently, it's free at the Apple Store, but it's $10 at the Rogers store.

I don't know if the Apple Stores in the US give out the AT&T ones for free. I'm not sure how much the AT&T stores charge, but AT&T sells it for $15 online:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/index.jsp?q_sku=sku5610233

24. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

25. PLin macrumors 6502

Was this for a replacement iPad SIM? I know that if you are a postpaid customer, they will give you a free replacement SIM for your iPhone or other phone, but I wasn't sure about the iPad-specific SIM.