vacation blackout july 22-29

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypress822, Jun 28, 2012.

1. cypress822 macrumors regular

Apple vacation blackout july 22-29....what could this be for??

Perry

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

i agree...but why would they need all employees around just for an OS update that will be done via app store---there is no need to go into the store.

4. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

To be fair i imagine its more to do with training staff on Mountain Lion so they can demonstrate it in store.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

FWIW I can't find any evidence of a vacation blackout for the Lion release, which also featured new Minis and MBAs.

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Interesting point. Is ML more of a change than Lion was?

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Definitely not. It's more like Leopard -> Snow Leopard. Bug fixes, stability, consolidation, expanding a few features. Lion introduced iCloud. ML gives iCloud a larger role.

8. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

i guess i was just hoping it would be the new iMac release...

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Keep hoping. We all are. It's just hard to draw any conclusions from a vacation blackout alone.

10. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Ahh ok so the first cat (single name) is generally the big step and the following cat (double name) is the smaller step. That makes sense, but why the blackout? Comon new iMacs!!!! Knowing my luck it'll be a redesigned Mini and no mention of iMac :p

11. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to get excited. But, I can't see them having a vacation blackout for a spec bumped iMac. Or, for that matter, for a new release of the operating system. Yes, there would be some training to go through, but I guess most of that would be online and they'd be rotating the store staff through it from any day now.

12. emoore macrumors regular

I thought the vacation blackout was for a third party company and not for Apple store employees?

13. Baphomet macrumors member

Baphomet

I cannot belive that the whole stuff isn't allowed to take vacation because of the mountain lion release. There must be one more thing...

14. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

They must be reckoning on people holding off buying a new Mac until they're shipping with ML.

FWIW, I am.

15. JeffNewland macrumors member

Vacation blackout for a small(er) software update? Hard to believe. My guess is that the iMac's will be updated, with either a spec boost or redesigned a bit. :)

16. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I wouldn't think they would do a VBO for just ML, but they might. Apple has been doing a few things lately that just seem..., well, weird, I guess. ;)

17. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

What scenario with new iMacs would require that much time though?

18. rvinther macrumors member

rvinther

Where did you get this information?:)

19. jeffs177 macrumors member

Vacation Blackout Hints at Late July Release for OS X Mountain Lion
    Friday June 22, 2012 12:02 pm PDT by Eric Slivka
    At its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple officially announced that OS X Mountain Lion would launch sometime in July through the Mac App Store, carrying a low upgrade price of $19.99 for users of OS X Lion or Snow Leopard. Following the conference keynote, Apple also released a "near-final" version of OS X Mountain Lion to developers for testing purposes.

MacRumors has now heard from several employees at a third-party firm offering technical support for Apple products that their company has imposed a vacation blackout from July 22 through 29, requiring "all hands on deck" in its desktop and portables division to support an unspecified event.

Speculation naturally turns to OS X Mountain Lion as the event in question, although some potential customers may be hoping that new iMac and/or Mac mini hardware could arrive at the same time. Apple scheduled just such a simultaneous hardware/software launch last July, introducing new MacBook Air and Mac mini models alongside OS X Lion.

20. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Your Big Mac is really attractive. I have not had any of these for several years!

21. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Ahhhhhhh, now I remember that one. A third party firm, not Apple stores. Wonder who they support and how large a customer base they have.
    Wonder if they know any more than we do?

22. rizzle16 macrumors newbie

Too bad the vacation blackout isn't next week.... the 4th would be a whole lot cooler if I had a new iMac to toy with! :cool:

23. Luvin macrumors member

The vacation blackouts are so extra staff will be on hand to update older stock to the new OS. They certainly won't ship it back to Apple just for that and they won't have enough units on hand with pre-existing ML installs; those will be sold on a as-per-request basis.

24. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

I don't buy that — Apple will have a lengthy window of opportunity to upgrade stock in the supply chain from the moment ML goes GM.

25. deblewis macrumors member

I sure hope its new iMacs and minis... but maybe the new TV?