vacationing in HI with a drone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by halfmonkey, Sep 1, 2018.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a drone and using it while vacationing in HI. I just started looking into this as I've seen some awesome footage on you tube and thought that having a drone would be cool because it would give some different perspectives of us while we're hanging out around the island aside from the selfie sticks and tripod shots.

I'm looking at the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Does anybody have a drone they use while vacationing? Can you share your thoughts, tips, and tricks? Suggestions on a good drone? Tips and tricks about traveling and flying on a plane with a drone? I know you have to register your drone with the FAA. I live in CA and so if I register it in with my home address in CA, is there a problem with me taking it to HI and flying it there?

Again, I'm just starting to look into drones so please forgive me if I missed something or didn't ask something that maybe I should be asking. Thanks.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ask the FAA regarding their own rules. That’s probably your safest bet. You probably can’t check the batteries, so be prepared to carry them on the plane with you.

Also, drones are ****ing loud and annoying. Be courteous.

3. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely recognize that people don't want to be "spied" on and it's not like I'm going to fly the drone at head level and buzz around people's heads and faces. My goal is to use the drone to take pictures of my family from different angles that I wouldn't have been able to get using a selfie stick, tripod, or asking another person to take our group photo. I would also use the drone to capture landscape shots that again I wouldn't be able to get with my camera in hand.

As far as people are concerned, I'm not interested in taking videos and pictures of random people that I don't know and if they get bothered by a drone flying in the air that isn't focused on them, then I'd have to say that they're probably just bitter people that don't understand what being in the public means. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. Again, I'm not saying that I'm going to be taking pictures/videos of people. I would launch the drone and the done will take pictures and videos of my family. If someone happens to be in the background, well then they happen to be in the background. I just want to use it to capture my kid boogie boarding at the beach from the air. Such an awesome perspective. We're going to the Kaneohe Bay sandbar and seeing the videos on You Tube, I think it would be awesome to capture some videos and pictures from the air to give a different perspective. Again, my thought in using the drone is to capture different perspectives that I wouldn't otherwise get with using my camera in hand.

Of course, I'm not saying that I wouldn't respect people's "privacy" in public but at the same time, they are in public and to say that a drone might annoy someone, well I don't know what to say to that. What is there to annoy someone if the drone is taking off and has nothing to do with the person next to you? Maybe a little bit of a buzz? I don't get it. Like I said, I can see if someone is flying a drone at head level through a crowd and people are having to duck because the drone would otherwise smack people in the head for example but if a drone is a few hundred feet in the air out in the ocean taking pictures and videos, what is there to be annoyed about?

I found this website, https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map that seems to provide a pretty good layout of where you can't fly. It also list some warning zones but you can still fly in those areas so it seems that Oahu doesn't have too many no fly zones.

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

All's well until this...

maxresdefault.jpg

5. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Well, @halfmonkey, re-read @mobilehaathi's post. And read it again. Well said, @mobilehaathi.

With respect, your own post arguing that people who detest drones or object to them are "bitter people", and that there is "no reasonable expectation of privacy in public" (oh, yes? Really? Says who?) positively reeks of judgmental entitlement.

And, as for the sentence, "Like I said, I can see if someone is flying a drone at head level through a crowd and people are having to duck because the drone would otherwise smack people in the head for example"....seriously? How generous of you.

If I had to "duck my head" because someone else's dangerous toy might "smack into my face", I believe that I would have a right to smash that thing.

Drones are intrusive, noisy and very annoying; there may be "no privacy" but there is a right to expect and extend some courtesy and respect in the public space. Your right to photograph your kids from a different angle doesn't trump their right to a pleasant afternoon without stupid things hovering around them.

6. Scepticalscribe, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Remember that arcade video game (one of the earliest computer games) "space invaders"?

As an undergrad, several of my male friends devoted hours, if not weeks and years of their lives to playing this game, thinking about this game, and mastering this game, (sometime bunking off, mitching or skiving off classes to do so) while I drank coffee and watched them.

However, the very thought of drones hovering near my head, or, over my head, or buzzing annoyingly, in my immediate vicinity, revives intense memories of "space invaders".

Thus, my instinctive response is to want to shoot them down. In flames.

7. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

That sounds cool
    You can't check the batteries for the flight.
    Thanks I was wondering if something similar existed,

8. Lioness~, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018

Lioness~ macrumors 65816

I think we only seen the beginning of this, and it is fine lines to walk and fly on so to speak.
    Where exactly does people’s privacy start and ends? If they are out in the open or just being visibel from a drone circling around, are they in public then?

Recently I was walking around not very dressed at all in my living room. After some time I wondered what kind of buzz I heard from outside the windows. Yep, there was a drone checking up on me.
    Another time I was spending time not dressed either on a balcony of mine. I happened to have my AirPods on so it took a little longer for me to recognize my little curious guest.
    No, I am not that scared of men watching my body, I hang a lot on beaches where nudity is nothing to raise any eyebrows for. And this in Sweden, we are not exactly famous for being prude. But I really prefer to chose when and where that happen myself. I can imagine how exiting this must be for young boys, or even lonely or 'something else' men.

How close are those drones allowed to go settled areas and houses? I mean they can defend themselves that they were only flying by. Am I supposed to have a security-camera that can catch the drones now, huh?

You may very well catch things of 'mistake' but yet....these things seem to happen a bit to easy in today’s drone-world. Where public and private starts and ends seem to have changed.
    And the lines are moving in many direction that they haven’t pretty fast with drones.

Not saying that you have other intentions then just taking pics/movies on your kids.
    I’m just pointing out that the lines of privacy and public seems to move with how close and fast these drones can move around. From the drones perspective it might look like one thing, from people’s perspevtive a total different story.

But we have only seen the beginning of this discussion.
    And by all means, have fun with your kids and wife on your holiday.

9. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

I would have shot the drone

10. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Uhmm, everyone doesn’t have guns in Sweden. We are suppose to be a peaceful country and people ;)
    But when you say it, shooting drones could be awfully fun :D
    Things to consider...

11. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

It makes me wonder how many people have shot a drone in their yard.

12. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Was checking what Swedish law said about shooting drones....hmm.
    Seems like, we are supposed to report it to the police, or follow the drone back to the owner and talk to them :rolleyes:
    We don’t have a 2nd amendment, so getting a gun here is a long story. I probably won’t have a reason to be allowed one. Air gun however, is a possibility. I shot some air riffle, long time ago. Might work to at least damage the da** thing.

13. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

You don't need a gun to launch projectiles at things. :)

14. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

Seriously talk to the owner :rolleyes:
    If you do it right & set some targets up it might look like an honest mistake. I have no problem with drones but I do have a problem with how people use them but I blame the user & not the drone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2018 ---
    That is true

15. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

You have any good suggestions?
    I am kind of out of my waters here. What kind of projectiles are you thinking of?

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Water balloons, heh...

17. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

I am not sure I will have time to get dressed and run after the da** thing. He will be way gone by then.

18. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

That might be a problem!

19. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Might not do that much, maybe some tennis balls, small stones, or something of own making.
    I will think through it and prepare something and myself for next time.
    He have been pretty close, so if I’m prepared :mad:

20. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

Tennis balls and stones will work. Think of it as a game.

21. Scepticalscribe, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

We've just had a nice, hot summer, and I certainly know of cases where people, sun-bathing peacefully and privately in their back gardens, were bothered by drones.

And again, as @Lioness~ points out, drones peeking in windows at people (women) and hovering over balconies to drool, dronefully, at people (women) may well give this topic of privacy, and where the public space begins and ends, a bit of a gendered bite.

In our part of the world, no, we don't have guns, (much though I'd love to blast the damned things out of the sky), but we do have government regulation. That (plus, perhaps, air rifles) may be the route to take.

22. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

I bet that's annoying

23. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

You don’t really need to spend a bunch of money for a drone to take off-angle selfies. Just ask a stranger to take a picture of your family and then enjoy the rest of the time. If you were doing some cinematography or photo shoot or something then sure that makes sense.

24. VivaLasVegas Suspended

VivaLasVegas

I never liked handing my camera to strangers and I would think handing a phone to strangers would be even worse.

25. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Why? You think some tourists are gonna run off with your phone?