Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
YES!

YES!

YES!

Goodbye my dear PC, it was nice when it lasted but this is the last punch - now you're 100% useless. And I will never miss you.

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
This is the Beta version that is now official today!

Wanted to see the new achievements and added features but the steam servers are too busy to handle my request. :(

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
super low price, check
worlds best online shooter, check
massive new update, check
can run great maxed on almost any machine, check
mac support, OH HELLS CHECK!!!!

now just bring me l4d, and few other third party games, and I will never use windows or physical media again!

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Good for the Mac gaming community. Although myself, since i start playing killzone 2 on the ps3 i cant touch another FPS game(whether on pc, mac, xbox, anything) without a feeling of steping back.

Killzone fells too clunky for my liking. The turrets ruin the game.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
Any idea if this will be functional on a 9400m under 10.6.4?

Wondering this too, gonna try in a bit. What I know is it will definately be playable -- it's a 2004 game after all and a well optimized one as such -- so it's just a question of framerate. Up to 30 fps would be welcome, but that might just be a little too optimistic.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm more excited about the major update! It's been in beta for a few weeks now and some of the changes sound brilliant. Can't wait for it to finish downloading (XP).

We're just waiting for L4D1, 2 and Half Life 2 Deathmatch. 3 very awesome multiplayer games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good for the Mac gaming community. Although myself, since i start playing killzone 2 on the ps3 i cant touch another FPS game(whether on pc, mac, xbox, anything) without a feeling of steping back.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not :D. Console shooters are a massive step back from PC shooters. They're made for casual gamers after all.

Dav3

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
WHOOHOO !

DWNLDing it !

PLayed this game a lot, Now the fun starts all over :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You guys who are slating Valve please be aware Valve are actually the good guys in the gaming industry, Who else is supporting Mac gaming?

Blizzard Entertainment for their WoW and other games that was working on Macs.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I'm guessing sometime after 2016, I'm starting to think this whole Steam for Mac is just a way for Valve to make money from old games. I'm not impressed so far to say the least.

The most important online distribution channel for games, one of the most relevant game engines and one of the most successful and famous game franchises of all time have finally been ported to the Mac (and are available FREE OF CHARGE for all switchers), inviting the entire computer game industry to follow their example, and you're not impressed.

Wow. Just wow.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I have 'Counter Strike Anthology DVD' for PC, does anyone know if I need to buy a new license for this Mac version?

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I thought everyone stopped playing Source when Wolf3D came out. No?

Seriously, to me this fall under the category of "Why bother?"

You don't have a clue what you're saying, do you? First of all, Source is an engine, not a game, so what do you mean with "everyone stopped playing Source"? Games built with Source also include very recent titles, not just games from 2006.

Besides, do you have any idea how many people are still playing CS?

I wouldn't want to try playing any of the cutting edge games on a Mac anyway. It's already sad how much the frame rates suffer with Valve's old games.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Can't tell if you're being serious or not :D. Console shooters are a massive step back from PC shooters. They're made for casual gamers after all.

Which is perfectly fine with me. I'm 40 now and no longer interested in spending more than three days in a row on playing a game from start to finish.

I like shooters with a story and I am more interested in the story than in the shooting part. Half-Life 1 was the best FPS ever made in this regard, Return To Castle Wolfenstein also was quite good, and "Alan Wake" (which isn't really a shooter) also is a great example.

I've played The Orange Box on both PC and Xbox 360 and didn't find much of a difference. Once you've gotten used to the Xbox controllers, it's actually easier to play the games on the console.

The biggest plus for choosing a console over a PC or Mac are the non-existent hardware compatibility problems. The game WILL run on the console at max resolution, and it WILL look good. With a PC or Mac version, you do not even have that guarantee when you're playing it on an expensive Mac Pro.

LazersGoPEWPEW

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Pensacola, FL
FPS_Doug.jpg

Come and get some ladies. I'm going to go pwn some noobs after years of not playing this game. BOOM HEADSHOT! BOOM HEADSHOT! GET SOME GET SOME!!!! DIE! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! DIE!

Does anyone know if the skins will work for this version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.