Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
We know that apps are checked for viruses etc. with the App Store and we know that is not the case on the fee-for-all do-what-you-like no oversight Steam.

Steam is not a free for all. Its not limewore or bittorrent or whatever. Its a multi billion dollar a year platform. I’m not sure where you get your info but steam personnel authenticate every game thats on there.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Steam is not a free for all. Its not limewore or bittorrent or whatever. Its a multi billion dollar a year platform. I’m not sure where you get your info but steam personnel authenticate every game thats on there.
Not to mention, how is this any different to downloading and playing games on steam normally? Only difference is you’re streaming from the PC to another device, which is done over your own network...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Turn your AppleTV into a remote Steam play box?

this is a win for the platform for sure.
[doublepost=1558094149][/doublepost]
I think I saw someone do it with virtualization.

it's possible, but fairly complex.

You need to be able to pass the performance of the GPU to the VM, which usually means not having it available for the host OS.

in this case, you'd essentially need 2 GPU's.

Linus Tech Tip had a project a few years ago where they were working on 6 gamers running off a single "PC". They used UnRAID host Virtualization platform that allows for some more complex hardware passthrough than a standard VirtualBox installation can allow for.

it was a buggy mess with some interesting hardware considerations that they found (Like AMD VRAM wouldn't clear without a full reboot of the host).

For the overall complexity, it would likely be a better option just to build a 2nd gaming computer for the 2nd user.
[doublepost=1558094413][/doublepost]
Is it just me, or is anyone else thinking of malware etc. being installed via stuff downloaded through Steam. I don't trust it.

Steam has been around since 2003. there is no history of malware distribution. Your trust doesn't necessarily reflect reality that steam has been a robust, and reliable platform for 15+ years.

there's arguments to be made about their business models overall, But security of the platform has been tested for a long time at this point and it's considered one of the safest places to purchase games from.

So it is really just you.

In addition, installing steam on your iPhone doesn't install any games to your iPhone. It's just more of a remote control program and streaming from your existing gaming PC.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
it's possible, but fairly complex.

You need to be able to pass the performance of the GPU to the VM, which usually means not having it available for the host OS.

in this case, you'd essentially need 2 GPU's.

Linus Tech Tip had a project a few years ago where they were working on 6 gamers running off a single "PC". They used UnRAID host Virtualization platform that allows for some more complex hardware passthrough than a standard VirtualBox installation can allow for.

it was a buggy mess with some interesting hardware considerations that they found (Like AMD VRAM wouldn't clear without a full reboot of the host).

For the overall complexity, it would likely be a better option just to build a 2nd gaming computer for the 2nd user.
Yes, you would use 2 graphics cards, a bare-metal hypervisor, and 2 OS licenses. No big deal.

It gives you an excuse to buy Threadripper.

It is a better solution if you don't need 2 PCs.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yes, you would use 2 graphics cards, a bare-metal hypervisor, and 2 OS licenses. No big deal.

It gives you an excuse to buy Threadripper.

It is a better solution if you don't need 2 PCs.

I'm not sure it's a "better" solution

But I would have alot of fun trying to make it work. if you're just going for 2 gamers though, ThreadRipper (while fun) is probably not really necessary

Could probably get away with a 1700/2700 (x) variant as they have a decent amount of cores/threads anyways. (4 per VM would be enough for most gaming).

it's the GPU's that would be the pain. (but then again, i think that cause I use an m-ITX setup that doesn't have the room :p_)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm not sure it's a "better" solution

But I would have alot of fun trying to make it work. if you're just going for 2 gamers though, ThreadRipper (while fun) is probably not really necessary

Could probably get away with a 1700/2700 (x) variant as they have a decent amount of cores/threads anyways. (4 per VM would be enough for most gaming).

it's the GPU's that would be the pain. (but then again, i think that cause I use an m-ITX setup that doesn't have the room :p_)
It is better if you sometimes run heavy stuff and don't want another system cluttering your home.

Yes, 8 core would be enough for average gaming, but I would not buy a desktop for one person with less than 6 cores, hence TR. But maybe Ryzen 3000 will feature up to 16 cores, so that could be enough for your heavy work.

Well, I don't like massive GPUs, so fitting 2 in ATX is basically trivial.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I for one have just been waiting to kick back and play the full version of Goat Simulator (the iOS version just doesn't do it justice) on my iPad while soaking my piggies in the tub! Fun fun fun!

Back in the the real-world, however, there are some great games with considerable re-re-re-replay-potential where having them available this way might be nice (I'm looking at you Dragon Age Origins!), much nicer than being tethered to a PC or even a laptop. I've used in-home streaming for quite some time for certain games, and the ability to play a few of them using my iPad as the screen is certainly welcome.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I’ve been trying it out & so far it appears the steam link hardware may still be better than the Apple TV app...I still have more settings to play with.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Surely it burns more battery than playing a game that doesn't require Wifi... (yes there are a few out there...)

Games not using WiFi are still utilising the CPU & GPU to a greater extent which are far more power hungry than WiFi.

Streaming a game means all the rendering is done on the host, the iOS device will rely mostly on it’s video acceleration capabilities.

Reactions: Regbial

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Games not using WiFi are still utilising the CPU & GPU to a greater extent which are far more power hungry than WiFi.

Streaming a game means all the rendering is done on the host, the iOS device will rely mostly on it’s video acceleration capabilities.

While you're right about the CPU/GPU usage not going towards rendering the game on the local device, The encoding/compression for streaming does take up a decent chunk of power / performance and will still likely cause some decent battery drain.

When I used to use my Macbook Air as a Steam client, the CPU would often sit at 50-75% usage, so there is overhead on the local device.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
While you're right about the CPU/GPU usage not going towards rendering the game on the local device, The encoding/compression for streaming does take up a decent chunk of power / performance and will still likely cause some decent battery drain.

When I used to use my Macbook Air as a Steam client, the CPU would often sit at 50-75% usage, so there is overhead on the local device.

Overhead varies based on the system in question. If your device doesn’t support hardware acceleration of the particular stream then your CPU is doing the grunt work.

The mobile devices the steam link app supports do have hardware accelerated video decoding, so CPU & GPU usage is much lower.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Overhead varies based on the system in question. If your device doesn’t support hardware acceleration of the particular stream then your CPU is doing the grunt work.

The mobile devices the steam link app supports do have hardware accelerated video decoding, so CPU & GPU usage is much lower.

very true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.