Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games - Winter Edition!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NathanCH, Feb 1, 2010.

1. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

[​IMG]

Today more than 5000 athletes and hundreds of thousands of spectators will descend upon Beautiful British Columbia, Canada to participate and observe the 2010 Winter Olympic games.

Vancouver 2010 is projected to be the largest Winter Olympic games with more than twice as many athletes participating than during the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy. However, Vancouver faces the tough task of following one of the most flawless games ever - Beijing 2008.

Key Points:

• Opening Ceremonies: Friday, February 12, 2010 (6PM PST, 9PM EST)
    • Closing Ceremonies: Sunday, February 28, 2010 (6PM PST, 9PM EST)
    • Cities Participating: Vancouver, Whistler, Richmond
    • Motto: "With Glowing Hearts" / "Des plus brillants exploits"
    • Nations Participating: ~80 with ~5,500 Athletes

Interesting Facts:

• Vancouver will be the warmest city to ever host the Winter Olympics.
    • Vancouver is the largest city to ever host the Olympics.
    • BC Place Stadium is the largest stadium to host the Opening Ceremonies for a Winter Olympics. It is also the first indoor stadium in Olympic history (including summer games).
    • January 2010 was the warmest month in Vancouver since 1932. Thank-you El Nino...

Information For You:

**As all Olympic threads in the past, this is to discuss the torch relay, events, venues, medals, key moments, and execution of the games. Please refrain from discussing politics and religion.**

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't there concern that it was to warm and all the snow is melting.

Of course NBC has the rights so you know they will find a way to ruin it.

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Can't wait.

The only upside of being unemployed at the moment is that I'm going to be watching HOURS of Olympic coverage a day.

I'm personally glad NBC has the Olympics because of the number of channels and events they're able to cover every day. Otherwise I'd have to watch the events I'm told to watch.

Bring it on!

PS: Go USA. :)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC still picks the stuff you see. They skip a lot of coverage. The best bet is that ESPN wins the new contract and goes wall to wall live coverage.

5. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Yeah, a big concern for most people but VANOC says they have it under control (but I don't know if I can trust that).

The snow concerns are at Cypress Mountain which at this point of the year would have roughly 300 - 400 CM (200~ inches) of now. But right now there is a mere 60 cm (the last I checked). It's so warm that they cannot even create snow anymore. On the other hand, Whistler (where a lot of events are being held) is getting a significant amount of snowfall despite the warm temperatures. In fact, they started this season with a record of 500 cm of snow and had their earliest opening in history.

The coldest it got this January was 1 Degree Celcius. The average temperature for January is typically around 2 - 3 degress. This January was closer to 7 or 8 degrees (still waiting for official numbers).

I've never watched NBC for Olympic coverage in the past, but I read this year that they are doing the most Olympic coverage than they ever have in the past (even more so than Beijing). I can't remember the amount, but I think it was more than 400 hours.

In Canada I'm really impressed by the amount of coverage. It will be broadcasted on 12 television channels, 20 radio stations, and online with up to 14 concurrent live video streams. Live coverage will also be presented on almost every TV in downtown Vancouver as well as many movie theatres (some in 3D).

Also, every second of every event will be posted online to watch later. Hopefully it will be available in the United states too. Perhaps even the live streaming.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I live right by (200m away) from the Athletes Village.
    is def interesting seeing how much is being blocked off and double/triple fenced.

Cypress is so screwed.
    It is soooo warm this year. I am wearing jeans and yoga hoodie and I am on top on mountain overlooking the city.
    and I am warm.
    no hat or gloves.

hasn't rained all that much either.

8. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I hope the Olympics don't fail as bad as this thread has :(

Not as bad as London 2012 or Sochi 2014! I actually like it. But I think I'm bias.

Yeah it's disgusting how warm it is. I can't remember it ever being this warm for so long in my life. I don't think too many people can. By the way, the weather network is the worst at predicting weather:

[​IMG]

Snow? lol

And look at how above normal Whistler is:

[​IMG]

9. Surely Guest

Surely

10. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Looks like the cover of Rush's Test for Echo album. :)

If Rush doesn't play the closing ceremonies, I am going to have to invade Canada.

11. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

They're having about the same weather in Dallas TX as Vancouver BC this week. Dallas is actually getting lower night temps. I'm about two hours south of Vancouver and a polo shirt and jeans are weather appropriate for this sunny and 50 degrees we've had for the past few weeks.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Forecast improving a little but things look dicey around the 15th. Should be cold enough to make snow for the next few days, however.

13. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

That's good news. That'd help all that snow they're brining in from Manning too.

I just want it to know 1 foot on February 12th! Else I'll feel sorry for all the spectators that payed 100s to stand in mud.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Maybe they should have taken up Medvedev's offer of snow from Russia.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

according to the weather guy
    is 8C and raining
    according to me is sunny outside and 14C
    I am in a light weight long sleeve shirt and jeans right now and just comfy sitting on the roof deck ( at work)

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

It would be ironic if we got a massive winter storm in about a week. Vancouver would actually in more trouble with a snow storm than without snow. I'm an ex-Vancouverite now living just across the strait.

I can think of another first for Vancouver. I'm sure its the first city to host the Winter Olympics that grows palm trees outside. Really.

Should be a lot of fun. Wish I could have volunteered.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

It's weird because I called this when we won the bid. Why we didn't go for the summer games is beyond me.

Oh well, I ain't goin anywhere NEAR downtown until this whole thing is over. Transit waits already suck and with the million plus they seem to expect to be using it daily... no thanks.

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

and cherry blossoms.
    and some flowers are coming up already.

and I have TWO palm trees at house entrance :D

19. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

[​IMG]

Vectorial Elevation started tonight! I saw them testing this at like 4am on Saturday night in a cab. But it's officially launched now and the system they have set up is VERY impressive.

Link: http://www.vectorialvancouver.net/home.html

Not only can you watch the video live on their website from 4 webcams, you can also submit your own light show. They play a new one every 12 seconds and then send you a screenshot when yours is played.

Watch Live: http://www.vectorialvancouver.net/live.html

I've submitted one already. The system isn't hugely robust, but it's cool nonetheless. I also hear they will be playing special light shows during celebrations and key events.

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I just hope that it won't be raining here during the opening ceremonies.

My company was selected to put on a fairly large event in the city's 'livingroom" which will include two 24' LED displays simulcasting the ceremonies, and several live bands playing during the commercial breaks on a 24'x30' stage.

So I'll be outside all night! Hooray!

21. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A! (the white U.S.A sign is not showing cause it's white)
    :p:p

shaun white!!! woooo lets see a 1260!

22. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

The torch is on its way to the Fraser Valley. I expect big crowds!

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

^^ this.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ Really? You still don't like it even after reading my post (#9)? Even after learning that it's not just a bunch of weird abstract shapes put together and that it actually represents something cultural in Canada?

25. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I watched the NHL Network's coverage of the Toronto/Ottawa game tonight. There was a great commercial for a Canadian cable company or somebody.

But it had four guys, pushing a couch, and then each jumping on like the bobsled event. It was awesome.

I CAN'T WAIT!