Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
A compilation of various phones dropping bars while being held...

This was just a quick search. So tell me....Is it an iPhone flaw or just a cell phone commonality? You decide.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
A compilation of various phones dropping bars while being held...

This was just a quick search. So tell me....Is it an iPhone flaw or just a cell phone commonality? You decide.
iPhone flaw. On none of those phones to you touch the antenna. You can't detune the antenna on those phones. All phones can be attenuated but not detuned. The detuning effect is much greater.

Anandtech shows iPhone 3GS diminish only 1.9db while the iPhone 4 dropped 19.8 db. db is logarithmic meaning the signal strength dropped 62 times more than it did on the iPhone 3GS.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
dmelgar said:
iPhone flaw. On none of those phones to you touch the antenna. You can't detune the antenna on those phones. All phones can be attenuated but not detuned. The detuning effect is much greater.

Anandtech shows iPhone 3GS diminish only 1.9db while the iPhone 4 dropped 19.8 db. db is logarithmic meaning the signal strength dropped 62 times more than it did on the iPhone 3GS.

Are you blind! the EVO dropped to from 5 bar to 1 bar when the guy hold it in his right hand...:mad:

Billy Mays

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Let's see the videos of these devices dropping bars when touched with one finger.

Oh, that's right, there aren't any because the iPhone 4 was designed poorly...

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Let's see the videos of these devices dropping bars when touched with one finger.

Oh, that's right, there aren't any because the iPhone 4 was designed poorly...

Oh, you know what you are right. I forgot that holding my phone with 1 finger while talking or texting was an optimal method.

Billy Mays

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Oh, you know what you are right. I forgot that holding my phone with 1 finger while talking or texting was an optimal method.

Strawman more.

The fact remains, the iPhone 4 loses connectivity in select places due to engineering flaws. "This is really cool engineering!" - Steve Jobs Keynote Speech

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I damn thee facts!! Your getting in the way of a lawsuit, free bumper freaks, apple haters, conspiracy theorist, and loonies. Stop it!

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I went to the iPhone for quality, Apple is usually years ahead of competition. I'd except other phones to do this, but not the iPhone (especially since it's the only model Apple has to manufacture every year).

You guys hate when the iPhone is compared to other phones, but now that there's an issue about it, everyone is quickly jumping to post comparison videos of phones, imo, that aren't in the same ballpark as the iPhone.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I went to the iPhone for quality, Apple is usually years ahead of competition. I'd except other phones to do this, but not the iPhone (especially since it's the only model Apple has to manufacture every year).

You guys hate when the iPhone is compared to other phones, but now that there's an issue about it, everyone is quickly jumping to post comparison videos of phones, imo, that aren't in the same ballpark as the iPhone.

........what

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007

Here ya go my friend: HTC Evo Signal Attenuation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj2YBYTbag

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
What is this thread hoping to achieve?

The people with issues are still going to have issues. Videos don't magically help their reception.

The people without issues aren't going to care; their phones work.

Everyone knows that other phones suffer signal attenuation.

Let's try and move past the excuses and finger pointing, shall we?

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Consumer Reports agrees with the OP.

I don't have an iPhone 4 yet, but I've always thought this was being blown way out of proportion.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...not_unique_iphone_4_no_reason_not_to_buy.html

"It's amazing really to experience the difference in sensitivity the iPhone 4 brings compared to the 3GS, and issues from holding the phone aside, reception is absolutely definitely improved. I felt like I was going places no iPhone had ever gone before. There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS."

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
What is this thread hoping to achieve?

The people with issues are still going to have issues. Videos don't magically help their reception.

The people without issues aren't going to care; their phones work.

Everyone knows that other phones suffer signal attenuation.

Let's try and move past the excuses and finger pointing, shall we?

What has a forum posting ever achieved in history? If you came here for life lessons and smiley face bumper stickers you are going to walk away like a fat kid with his jaw wired shut at an apple pie eating contest somewhere in the outskirts of North Dakota...(damn you alcohol!!)

But in all seriousness, I was merely showing that this is not something that is NEW in the world of cell phones, LIMITED to the iPhone, AND DOESN'T KILL BABIES (???)...yea.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
iPhoneHome said:
Haha, are you serious? You cite the company that is being investigated by the authorities regarding theft of an Apple device.

I think he is joking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.