Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
That setting apparently has ceased to exist. there is no setting to turn off screen while active after x amounts of minutes. at least I could not see it after long time

Reactions: shafez and mabaker

Stefdar

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2012
Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 7.41.16 μμ.png

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why make things simple, and keep things that don't need changing the way they are, when you can artificially make forced changes that complicates things and confuse the users unnecessarily? Well, Apple?
This is a change that further unifies the UI across all their platforms. There will be growing pains for users who have muscle memory in System Preferences, but for users who were previously in the iOS world only the new look actually makes a ton of sense.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Hi,

While switching to the iOS System Settings... motif is fine, and just takes a little time to get used to if you aren't already used to it, but what I don't enjoy is when entire sets of options are removed from System Settings. [Okay, I'm probably just blind and haven't found some things yet -- please help me.]

For instance, I've had to resort to using Terminal commands (fine by me) to alter my DNS nameserver settings, or even to see the DNS settings. The Advanced... button on the WiFi System Settings... pane no longer has DNS options. And "Info" doesn't even show the current DNS settings, nor does the System Report.... Wireless Diagnostics will show the DNS nameservers, but this takes a lot of time to generate. Sure, the System Settings... -> Network -> Thunderbolt Bridge -> Advanced... -> DNS has to ability to add DNS servers to the Thunderbolt Bridge, but this pane does not even show the current nameservers.

So, I've resorted to using the commandline for my DNS nameserver needs (actually, this is faster than System Preferences anyway) -- but is there a better way, anyone?

Thanks, Solouki

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I’m not exactly sure why so many people were saying the previous design of settings was a bad thing. I thought it worked wonderfully and was easy to navigate. I also liked it being called system preferences.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i don't think it was a bad thing, it's simply the previous version of system settings. that was then, this is now. so, eventually, we'll all adapt... and one day, you'll wake up and it will feel just right.

that will be the moment apple changes the design again 🤣

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I disagree that the previous one wasn't broken with a similar attitude. The simple way of making sure the computer does not sleep itself- now seemingly gone. In fact thanks for the breadcrumb trail but I still don't see that. And now I'm finding my mac pro 2019 (and its raid) sleeping. It's a time machine backup server.

So how do we prevent the machine from sleeping? Not in energy saver nor lock screen.

watagan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2022
I disagree that the previous one wasn't broken with a similar attitude. The simple way of making sure the computer does not sleep itself- now seemingly gone. In fact thanks for the breadcrumb trail but I still don't see that. And now I'm finding my mac pro 2019 (and its raid) sleeping. It's a time machine backup server.

So how do we prevent the machine from sleeping? Not in energy saver nor lock screen.
Display>Advanced

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
This thing is a total disaster for a larger computer display with typically landscape mode.
It discourages discovery.
As a seasoned user, I know what to look for and use search since it is nearly impossible to find stuff by clicking. And this is after Apple simplified by dropping features like Network Locations.

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I apologize.

The setting to disable putting the computer to sleep is not in Lock screen or energy saver. It's in display settings.

DUH! How could I be so stupid?!

https://www.***************/how-to-disable-or-adjust-auto-sleep-time-on-mac/

• Haha
Reactions: Nermal

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Why make things simple, and keep things that don't need changing the way they are, when you can artificially make forced changes that complicates things and confuse the users unnecessarily?
Because progress is made from scrambled eggs. I don't like it either, but overall Apple's method gave us the Macs we love. Thanks to all, who came before me and suffered through the various transitions so that I can enjoy the platform as it is today. 🥰

Reactions: fisherking

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Because progress is made from scrambled eggs. I don't like it either, but overall Apple's method gave us the Macs we love. Thanks to all, who came before me and suffered through the various transitions so that I can enjoy the platform as it is today. 🥰
Things have changed dramatically since the head of QA left the building (and the planet).

Siri Chief-> You're fired.
Migration Assistant Team-> You're fired.
OpenCL/OpenGL/API team-> You're fired.

etc.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Why make things simple, and keep things that don't need changing the way they are, when you can artificially make forced changes that complicates things and confuse the users unnecessarily? Well, Apple?
Oh, for the sake of progress™. Don't you love ScIeNcE©?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Since you mention it, I don't believe I have ever read or heard any complaints with the old system settings. Ever.
we've come up, in os x, on system preferences: it's what we've always known.

so i get it: change is scary. but over time, settings will be the thing we know and use... and life will go on 👍

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
we've come up, in os x, on system preferences: it's what we've always known.

so i get it: change is scary. but over time, settings will be the thing we know and use... and life will go on 👍
Yeah that's what I meant, I've just been reading so much about "settings."

Sometimes change just sucks.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yeah that's what I meant, I've just been reading so much about "settings."

Sometimes change just sucks.
sure, sometimes change sucks. but progress... is a great thing, always.

personally, i like the new settings, am not alone in that (hmmm... apple must like it), and it's the way forward. am glad apple takes us new places; life, as an adventure, is more fun, exciting, and valuable (imho) than sitting still...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.