Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah the X is not very appealing with the notch and Face ID issues in bright light.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Verge are always the most critical when it comes to apple products.

Other who have reviewed face ID say it works well

It won’t be perfect but Touch ID sure as hell isnt perfect

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can say I’m pretty annoyed at how much both reviews placed an emphasis on apps that weren’t updated yet. It’s almost a given a most apps will be updated when the time comes, as this happens when all new screen resolutions were added to the iPhone. Looking back at these reviews in a month or two, non-updated apps won’t be a problem for how much emphasis they’re given in these reviews.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
The part about FaceID is very concerning. You have to hold it at a certain distance, certain angle, and not under bright sunlight or fluorescent light to have it work consistently.

I’m sure it’ll still work at least 80% of the time, but it definitely seems like a step back in terms of convenience when compared to Touch ID.

Oh well, I already ordered mine and will just have to live with it.

Reactions: potentmf

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Looks like the folks that ordered are going to be the guinea pigs for face id.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The part about FaceID is very concerning. You have to hold it at a certain distance, certain angle, and not under bright sunlight or fluorescent light to have it work consistently.

I’m sure it’ll still work at least 80% of the time, but it definitely seems like a step back in terms of convenience when compared to Touch ID.

Oh well, I already ordered mine and will just have to live with it.
Not for me, Touch ID works like half the time now when the screen struggles to even turn on

Other reviewers haven’t had the same issue as this guy as of yet but it’s your usage is what matters not some reviewer

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
Apple will improve the reliability once it is out.

Still there is something about whether it represents the future of smartphones?

Reactions: SHKLMRE

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Hmmmmm, bit concerning with Face ID and not working properly when outside or under different lights. Let’s hope Apple releases a quick update fix for that.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
In my initial tests, it worked nine times out of ten. You really have hold it in front of your face like you’re taking a selfie. Too close, in particular, and it won’t work. It recognized me in the dark, and when I put on sunglasses — but not when, in the interest of science, I put on a fake beard. (Apple says it adapts to handle beards when they come on more slowly

WSJ view on face ID

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hmmmmm, bit concerning with Face ID and not working properly when outside or under different lights. Let’s hope Apple releases a quick update fix for that.
A fix would only be needed if more people have an issue. Not one person

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I think the Verge was valid on touching on how well Face ID would likely work in the dark compared to in direct sunlight. So it is something that is interesting they talked about.

And That's what technology is, it's a revolving door and a maturity process. For those who are concerned about how accurately Face ID will work in direct sunlight or under certain lighting conditions, it may not be perfect, but it will be improved upon to make this technology better. It's just a matter of Apple consistently improving it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vampire14 and deany

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Not for me, Touch ID works like half the time now when the screen struggles to even turn on

Other reviewers haven’t had the same issue as this guy as of yet but it’s your usage is what matters not some reviewer

For me I won’t use either Touch ID nor Face ID. I don’t lock my phone and it’s fine for me. Perhaps this can even save some battery usage for me.

lique831

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011

Touch ID worked half the time when it was first introduced, but i never have any issues with it now. I would say it’s almost perfect in my use cases.

Reactions: Vampire14

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don’t lock my phone and it’s fine for me.

Interesting, definitely among my tech peers nobody doesn't lock, my immediate family all locks (even reinforced that concept with my little G). I don't know I have anyone I'm acquainted with who doesn't.

You don't have any concerns over a stolen phone? Just curious, obviously if it works for you, that's all that matters, and I'm probably a little excessive in the other direction.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Already having issues with FaceID without sunglasses. Now combine bright light, or fluorescent lighting + sunglasses and see what happens.

For the people automatically and blindly defending Apple, this is the first reviewer to specifically mention bright light and fluorescent lighting causing problems with FaceID. He said it works fine in regular lighting, like the other reviewers.

For anyone that has had a Face Unlock phone before, we all know why it won't work as well TouchID (at least in the current iteration). The Dot projector may be a huge advance from previous technologies, but it is still susceptible to precisely what this guy suggests: interference from background lighting.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
lol despite The Verge desperately trying to make the X sound bad, it'll still be a hit.

They lost credibility after harping on the same tired issues again and again.

I have to disagree with you. I don't think the Verge made was in attempt to make it sound bad at all. Sometimes we have to open up our mindsets away from everything that we want to believe is positive, and also accept the reality with new technology and it's possible downfalls. They addressed an interesting point about Face ID operating in direct sunlight/other lighting conditions compared to using it in darkness. Time will tell.

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
What my concern is will the battery life of X be better than that of iPhone 6 Plus, and even 8 plus. Hope there will be some test on it. I am also interested in the effect on battery usage if the function of true depth cameras are being disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.