Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's not written by Nilay in fairness, but it's still the usual Verge 'review': the tech specs page interspersed with random comparisons and factual sloppiness finished by an ambivalent conclusion towards the product.

Yep! Perfect for the "general population"

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
FYI before you guys bother clicking it's. Useless review of the Non-touch Bar MBP 13 so it's pretty useless.

I heard Apple scammed or mislead media outlets by saying would they like to review the new 2016 MBP of course they lol said yes. Problem is they never said it was the Non- Touch bar version

So now they are stuck doing these detailed reviews only to do another review weekly later when they either buy or receive review version of the Touch Bar models

Essentially giving Apple double media coverage.

If you are buying the Non- Touch Bar 13 you are simply not right in the head

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I can imagine that there are some people for whom the non-touch-bar 2016 MBP is a good choice, but then insanity can come on gradually so thanks for the heads-up.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
FYI before you guys bother clicking it's. Useless review of the Non-touch Bar MBP 13 so it's pretty useless.

I heard Apple scammed or mislead media outlets by saying would they like to review the new 2016 MBP of course they lol said yes. Problem is they never said it was the Non- Touch bar version

So now they are stuck doing these detailed reviews only to do another review weekly later when they either buy or receive review version of the Touch Bar models

A little unfair - they were all given non-Touch Bar models immediately after the keynote and they will receive Touch Bar review units soon - not exactly scammed.

And the non-Touch Bar is a great MacBook Air alternative if you don't care about the Touch Bar and are price-conscious.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

Get a grip.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

I expect this will be the best selling Mac for the next several years, especially when the price is reduced by $200 or so within a year.

This is pretty much exactly the MacBook Air update everyone has been hoping for, minus the choice of ports. But the whole point all along is that as soon as you make those updates to the Air, it loses its compelling price point.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
The image in the article of him using a dongle to plug his iPhone into it. If Apple we're going to go all courageous on us they should've gone all the way and put USB C on the iPhone. Short of that they should've at least included the lightning to USB C cable.

Frankly the i/o situation across Apples product lineup is an absolute mess. I mean introducing lightning into the mix of the Mac with the Magic Keyboard/Mouse/ Trackpad, why??

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
The review was good until the end... Most of the facts were correct (or all of them - nothing stood out to me), but he spent almost the entire article raving about the laptop, only to then end with "but I need dongles. So Apple lost me." Really poorly written.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I love my new non touch 13" Pro. I didn't need the extra power of the higher end model nor did the touch bar interest me enough to wait. If the price of that model was a little lower I would have purchased it but at $1800 I didn't see the value for myself. This machine has better graphics prowess than my last 13" Pro and seems equally as fast if not faster in most tasks.

Like the reviews have mentioned, the build quality is amazing. It feels like a beautiful chunk of aluminum and in space grey it's so sleek and sexy. The screen is bright and the colors are crisp and lifelike. The keyboard took a few minutes to adjust to but now I'm typing faster and more accurate than old Pro. Wish the price was lower but thats the penalty you pay for buying 1st Gen Apple. I'm sure in 6 months it will be down to $1299 and it will represent a better value then.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The review was good until the end... Most of the facts were correct (or all of them - nothing stood out to me), but he spent almost the entire article raving about the laptop, only to then end with "but I need dongles. So Apple lost me." Really poorly written.
Agreed 100%.

To clarify on the factual errors:
  • "the MacBook Pro approaches its level of portability while offering vastly more power and a longer-lasting battery." - it has the same quoted battery as the previous generation (even in the same bloody review this is contracted: "Battery life on this new MacBook Pro doesn’t rival the Air’s 12 hours")
  • "Is there any technical reason why this computer couldn’t have four [TB3 ports], like the $1,799 model with a Touch Bar? Nope, it all comes down to price." - no, the lower-tier CPUs in this model only support two TB3 ports
  • "Razer... has the latest seventh-gen Intel processors, whereas Apple is still using sixth-gen chips." - no mention that seventh-gen MBP chips are not available yet, that Razer use a different tier of processors that Intel has updated, and that the speed difference is negligible anyway (it is an efficiency upgrade)
And, not a factual issue per se, but the final line is just classic: "I agree with Apple’s vision of the future. I’m just not buying it today."

Read: "I want to have my cake, but only if I can eat it too". :confused:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006

I actually have no idea what you mean by this. Why is a review of the non-TB one useless???

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
Well I liked the photography in the article since they did a good job of showing off the look of the new machine...it is actually quite attractive so I could appreciate someone wanting to jump to it for that.

The argument for the new non-touch being useless pretty much boils down to "you can still buy the 2015 MBP" which has all the ports, etc. and arguably the same or better performance. Not saying I agree but for me I would rather rMB or touch MBP (or heck 13'' Air I guess) than the non-touch rMBP but I agree with the sentiment that this will probably become a popular computer for Apple, especially if it consistently comes in at a lower price point than the touch MBP.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is The Verge even a tech site anymore? Their new redesign sucks.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Agreed 100%.

To clarify on the factual errors:
  • "the MacBook Pro approaches its level of portability while offering vastly more power and a longer-lasting battery." - it has the same quoted battery as the previous generation (even in the same bloody review this is contracted: "Battery life on this new MacBook Pro doesn’t rival the Air’s 12 hours")
  • "Is there any technical reason why this computer couldn’t have four [TB3 ports], like the $1,799 model with a Touch Bar? Nope, it all comes down to price." - no, the lower-tier CPUs in this model only support two TB3 ports
  • "Razer... has the latest seventh-gen Intel processors, whereas Apple is still using sixth-gen chips." - no mention that seventh-gen MBP chips are not available yet, that Razer use a different tier of processors that Intel has updated, and that the speed difference is negligible anyway (it is an efficiency upgrade)
And, not a factual issue per se, but the final line is just classic: "I agree with Apple’s vision of the future. I’m just not buying it today."

Read: "I want to have my cake, but only if I can eat it too". :confused:
I like cake, too. And this new escape-key macbook pro :)

The real final line should be: "I agree with Apple's vision, I want this laptop, but I just don't get it."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.