Verizon advertising not mention iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Jun 28, 2011.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I see a lot recent Verizon ads, and they announce Galaxy this, Android that, but not a note of iPhone.

Actually, I have not seen any Verizon ad about iPhone.

Apart from the possibility Google contributed for the Verizon ad, what other reason for this lack of mention of iPhone?

(Kind of reminds of back in day of stores announcing latest Winblows hardware, but never a peep about Mac)

2. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

My own opinion? Verizon is not getting the iP5 at launch, there is going to be a delay for them to get it; even there in-store advertising is not geared to the iphones which makes me wonder why they wanted it in the first place, yes I know it's a year old, but its one of the most popular phones on the market still a year later.

3. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Im guessing that the Iphone does not need any advertisement , they are well known already ;)

4. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

every verizon store has iphone merchandising. and i doubt apple wouldn't launch the iP5 simultaneously. it just doesn't make sense

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Everyone knows what a ****en iPhone is. Lol parden my french but that is probably the first question to come out of a persons mouth "Do you have the iPhone!!!!?", "Do you guys sell the iPhone here?!!!", "Aw you guys dont have the iPhone?!", etc. Seriously its been damn near branded into everyones retina's. When I had an iPod touch before my iPhone half the time people would say "Is that the iPhone!!!?". Its like the BMW of cell phones, do you think BMW is concerned about marketing as much as someone like Kia? Probably not because there product is premium and if someone buys there product it means they are willing to pony up the $$$Ca$h$$$ to pay for it and all the expensive things that you can get for it.:cool:

BTW that^^ is just one reason. I posted about verizon having an "agenda" against the iPhone 4 a bit ago and everytime I walk in the reps are like "iPhone suckzorz!!!111" or "I wouldn't feel comfortable selling that to you", yes a rep said the latter...yeah might that have anything to do with Apple not loving you? :p

6. shadrap macrumors 6502

I agree, they are definitely not in love with the iPhone. I am hoping a great success with the iPhone 5 will soften their hearts. They may just be playing hard. Apple does need them now and I think they know it. But a great launch with the 5 could ease that mindset a bit.

7. macinnv macrumors regular

I have noticed this in the past and discussed it in threads on here before. I would assume the return on investment for iPhone advertisement isnt high enough. Possibly because the iPhone doesnt need advertisement or the iphone profit margin for Verizon isnt high enough.

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

AT&T ads don't mention the iPhone either. Only Apple can promote the iPhone, I believe. It's all part of their "control the entire ecosystem" mantra -- including the messaging.

9. Youngmoney23 macrumors newbie

That is half true. While when you see the iphone commercials at the end it either displays the AT&T or the Verizon logo.
    On the other hand, AT&T does have a commercial directed towards the iPhone 3GS being only $49

10. korndawg macrumors regular

Hmmm, my local store has a nice big display and table for the iphone that is very prominently displayed. No other phone in their store has that.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, AT&T does have one ad BROADLY used of a man who forgot their anniversary, and while it does not mention iPhone by name, it is impossible to not see it is an iPhone.

I have seen another AT&T iPhone ad, cant remember the plot, but it is for iPhone.

Both of the above showcase the "call & internet at same time" ability.

And then the above mentioned iPhone for $49, which even a blind man knows is about iPhone.

Verizon, except for the initial launch, not a peep about iPhone. One would think they would be happy to get people on their network, no matter what the platform.

12. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

I believe the one you're thinking of is the one where the lady is sitting on her couch surrounded by various prizes (motorcycle, tv, etc.). She's calling in to a radio station to win more prizes using the voice+data capability.

13. scott craft macrumors 6502a

The majority of the employees at my local Verizon store are carrying iphones. There is a large display set up for just the iphone also. AT&T advertises themselves as the only network where your iphone can talk and surf at the same time.

14. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Verizon confirmed months ago to engadget that they would be getting the iPhone exactly the same time as ATT. I would be highly pissed if rlthat didnt.

15. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I had a Verizon rep actually try to talk my wife out of an iPhone when she bought it. I have to believe that this is because the iPhone is probably one of the lowest margin phones in the store, and as in many retail situations the highest margin items (droids in this case) carry "spiffs" and incentives for employees that sell them. Any Verizon employees care to shed some light on this?

16. Fresh1 macrumors regular

I too, would like to know an answer. I've had a number of friends who have said the same exact thing. It's like they have to say, "No, I'd like the iPhone. No, not a droid, an iPhone."

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

from last month:

link

18. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

The iPhone sells itself. After release, there isn't much need to push heavy advertising anymore. If iPhone sales were sucking, they would be advertising hard for sure.

Same concept with movies. You (usually) see more previews for movies that are a piece of crap. They need to try to excite you about a product that is lacking. How many times have you seen a lesser quality movie, only to realize you had already seen all the okay parts in the 10,000 trailers they released? :p

19. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Verizon employees (meaning corporate owned stores, not authorized agents) are not paid differently between an iPhone sale or an Android, or a Blackberry, or a Palm, or a Windows phone. They are paid on the contracts and add-ons, like data plans. The particular phone is completely irrelevant. Spiffs are not 100% unheard of, but they are vanishingly rare.

Every human being has biases.

20. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

IIRC Verizon sales reps get commission for selling droids

21. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

You recall imperfectly. My post above is 100% correct.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think carriers do much iPhone ads to begin with

23. funman95 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5220p Safari/6533.18.5)

Everyone knows about the iPhone they don't need advertising

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, not that one. In fact just saw that one last night for first time(!!).

Depends on which market on what ads you see, it seems.

25. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That's the thing.
    Verizon made an ad showing a selection of smart devices (phone, tabs), so why not show an iPhone or iPad in that grouping?

Addendum:
    Verizon mobile front page:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/index.html

See an iPhone (or iPad) anywhere?