Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon and T-Mobile have discontinued their iPad rebate program in partnership with Apple following widespread customer complaints that the program was ineffective, flawed, and rarely worked as intended.

ipad-pro-carrier-subsidies.jpg

In recent weeks, complaints from customers have emerged across social media regarding Verizon's and T-Mobile's rebate programs. If it worked according to plan, the program would give customers up to a $200 rebate when purchasing a cellular iPad and activating through Verizon and T-Mobile. Unfortunately, customers have faced a subpar experience with the program, often reporting being denied for the rebate for unclear reasons.

The complaints have been amplified by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who has in the past criticized the carriers for the ineffectiveness of similar programs for the iPhone 13.

There have been several complaints regarding the iPad program (1, 2, 3). Nevertheless, at the start of December, a Verizon spokesperson told Bloomberg that the iPad rebate program was running "as it should for eligible Verizon customers."

Things have now clearly changed as Apple has scrapped all references of the program with Verizon and T-Mobile from its website, including the purchase pages for its range of iPads.

removed-ipad-rebate-section.jpeg
The now-removed overlay from Apple's website detailing the rebate program

Verizon and T-Mobile initiated the program following the launch of the updated iPad Pro in April. Still, the program was previously available on all cellular iPad models, including the new iPad mini and baseline ninth-generation iPad.

Update: A T-Mobile spokesperson has issued a statement to MacRumors saying that the iPad rebate program in partnership with Apple was a limited time offer that started in April 2021 following the launch of the new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The spokesperson added T-Mobile is always looking to give its customers the "best deals on devices."
The iPad rebate with Apple was a limited time offer that has been in market since April 2021 and ended December 31. We're always looking for opportunities to give our customers the best deals on devices.
A Verizon spokesperson also confirmed to MacRumors that the offer was set to end on December 31.

Article Link: Verizon and T-Mobile Discontinue iPad Rebate Program Following Widespread Customer Complaints [Updated]

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My friend got his thru sprint two years ago but it was a different plan. Now he’s with xfinity and dropped the cellular from his unlocked iPad altogether.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Does AT&T offer any deals with the iPad mini? It’s expensive and the service is too. ($20 a month.)

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Verizon said my pristine S21 Ultra was rejected, not what they “expected”. Not full value, not reduced amount, and no, they didn’t return it even. Was for credit to account, not even a real rebate. Shoddy. Scam. Fraudulent business. Scalping their own customers.

So it extends to their entire “business model,” not just the Apple + iPad deal mentioned.

I’m going back sadly to AT&T when this contract is over.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
I get that it's not the same but we've had great luck with discounted iPad hardware for getting under contract with AT&T. Admittedly large volumes, 300+ devices. It really should be that simple though for an individual. Just like the old contract model with phones.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I was able to get my iPad and Apple Watch rebates via a bill credit. but had to contact their twitter support after my claims were denied.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
TINSTAAFL
There’s no such thing as a free lunch
Well, to be accurate, nothing is free in this deal. It's only a rebate. Rebates are common everywhere. Most of the time, they are legit, but sometimes, one has to fight to get what is due. The fact that this did not even involve a trade-in and still rejected is flat out criminal.

I've done 2 trade-in's for new iPhones through AT&T and both times AT&T did what they said and I'm getting my $1000 in bill credits for my trade-in.

MikeDProducer

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2019
I did get this rebate with my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. But it was a monumental pain in the ass. They kept denying it. I had to get ugly. Lol but it did work.

kltmom

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I traded in my husband's XR for a 13 a few days before Thanksgiving, for the additional $200 credit/rebate via T-Mobile (and got the trade-in credit for the XR itself too). I did it in store (at the Apple Store) because I don't trust sending it in. I've been on pins and needles about actually getting the credit from T-Mobile because of all the horror stories I've read on here regarding not only the iPhone T-Mobile rebate but the iPad T-Mobile rebate as well. Fortunately, we just got the approval from T-Mobile a few days ago.

no_idea

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2018
I never do phone purchases through the carriers. Only Apple store or Apple.com. The sales personnel at carriers are sleazy and try to scare u into buying a bunch of attachments and protection plans you don’t need. It’s utter nonsense.

I recently purchased a 13 and traded in my SE all through Apple.com and the trade in was smooth as butter. They sent me a prepaid UPS box to put the phone in, and 5 days later got a $180 credit posted back to my credit card

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I never do phone purchases through the carriers. Only Apple store or Apple.com. The sales personnel at carriers are sleazy and try to scare u into buying a bunch of attachments and protection plans you don’t need. It’s utter nonsense.

I recently purchased a 13 and traded in my SE all through Apple.com and the trade in was smooth as butter. They sent me a prepaid UPS box to put the phone in, and 5 days later got a $180 credit posted back to my credit card
That’s crazy. I do all my trade ins via carriers. Like my 13 pro max. Bought an xr off swappa for $180. Took it into T-Mobile and got the phone and 800 in bill credits. Sold my 12 pro max for 900 and put 700 in my pocket. Will do the same next year. Except I will use part of the 700 to pay off the 13 and keep those bill credit rolling. 4 phones, 4 cellular watches for $25 month on T-Mobile after all my bill credits. Smooth as butter.

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
Verizon said my pristine S21 Ultra was rejected, not what they “expected”. Not full value, not reduced amount, and no, they didn’t return it even. Was for credit to account, not even a real rebate. Shoddy. Scam. Fraudulent business. Scalping their own customers.

So it extends to their entire “business model,” not just the Apple + iPad deal mentioned.

I’m going back sadly to AT&T when this contract is over.
Similar experience with Verizon for me as well. I ported my parents T-Mobile lines over to my Verizon account. They had a trade in deal. I was supposed to get $500 for each of their iPhones (which were in spectacular condition). I got the new phones and shipped back the trade in. 2 Months later, I got a $190 bill credit. Beyond upset about it, I could have gotten WAY more for both at the EcoATM at Walmart or sold them for more online. They refused to tell me why they didn't give me full value. Needless to say, I'm never doing trade ins with Verizon ever again. That whole experience has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Reactions: IowaLynn

georgeedwardg

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
In case anyone is getting crap from Verizon, here is a screenshot of the terms and conditions taken directly from their app. Please use this as necessary to justify your claims. Verizon has recently taken the cake for worst customer service in my husehold, so I’m not at all surprised to read that they are tactically going about denying proper claims.

Also, for the avoidance of doubt, the rebate in question is the $200 bring your own device rebate for devices purchased from Apple directly.

Attachments

• 752EBB9A-4149-4ED4-99E4-203191A8075C.jpeg
    752EBB9A-4149-4ED4-99E4-203191A8075C.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 710

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I had the hardest time having T-Mobile finally approve mine after several months of fighting with them on it.
I had to call customer support to get them to approve mine, but it only took 1 month. They said my original application was rejected because I used the phone number of my iPhone on my application rather than the number on my iPad. That seemed really odd since both numbers are on the same account.

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.