Verizon Changes their Mind about Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

actually it is the reverse, since they currently have tiered pricing and moving to unlimited

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you read the article? It says Verizon has decided to leave the unlimited 3G for a LIMITED time and then move to their tiered plans as usual. People who get the unlimited plan will be like the lucky on AT&T who also have it.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think it's called luck, I think they call that being grandfathered in.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

That's too bad. Hopefully they will continue to offer an unlimited plan, even if it is at a higher price point. I don't like that AT&T's largest official plan is only 2GB.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Quick question, do you ever use more than 2GB? If so, are you willing to pay for more?

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I don't know many people who use more than 2gb/month.

8. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Yep I went over it twice, that's why I left at&t.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're a small percentage of users that goes over the 2GB and I doubt AT&T shed tears.

10. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Most I have ever hit was 900MB in a month, and a little over a week that month I was on Vacation, 90% of the time I am on WiFi somewhere.

I have trouble using a lot of 3G data and keeping my battery charged so I assume those who usea lot of Data charge their phone all the time, I just do not see how you can use that much and not constantly be charging your phone?

11. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

For me, it's all about peace of mind. I go over 2gb probably 50% of the time. When the 4.3 jailbreak is released, I'll probably go for it for the free tethering and surpass 2gb almost every month. I'll keep my unlimited plan until the LTE iphone.

12. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

People that use more than 2gb are most likely using it to stream movies etc. They use it as the primary means of internet and or use it on the job for that all the time. It would be worth it if it were 4G Speeds...

13. err404 macrumors 68020

I regularly use just over 2GB, but this can be significantly more when I'm traveling. Also, as time goes by, my regular data usage is steadily climbing. Using AT&T's largest plan today, my bill would fluctuate from $35-$55 depending on the month. If required, I would be willing to pay more than $30 a month for a true unlimited. Just how much more would depend on how the math worked out.
    FYI - I'm currently grandfathered in with unlimited at $30.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Grandfathered at $30? Well, why do you complain then? I'd completely understand if you were at the 2GB plan.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

Actually I don't stream movies at all, but I do stream audio for several hours each day (work/gym/driving). 2GB is not a lot of data.

16. seamus26 macrumors newbie

seamus26

I'm grandfathered on the unlimited plan, too. I never come close to hitting the limit. Most of my data transfer is at home (WiFi) or at work (also WiFi), but what if I should need it some day? I guess it's the thrill of hanging on to something that you can't get any more.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

I didn't mean to come across as complaining, but I do consider it disappointing that the availability of unlimited plans is coming to an end. Sure, I'm grandfathered in for now, but it's only a matter of time until I want to add a feature to my plan or even switch carriers. At which time it is all but certain that unlimited data will no longer be an option.
    For example, I can't add tethering and I may be forced to a limited data plan if I get an iPhone5.

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

yes i did read the article, you probably should reread though

currently verizon is tiered
    they are moving to unlimited
    and then at some point down the road back to tiered

so saying they are following att's lead and going the same direction is inaccurate,

i don't have verizon so i can't say for certain but i think they actually had tiered plans before att and att followed them to that pricing scheme. now verizon is going back to unlmited to grabbed customers, and probably depending on how quicly they reach the subscription numbers they'll go back to tiered again

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Well said seamus :)

I feel the exact same way about my current $10 web2go unlimited data on T-mobile Nexus One ($40/mo total w/ $30 500 minutes) and you cant get that anymore so its REALLY hard to give it up and pay full price when you know you have a great deal currently and you know if you give it up you can never get it back! :(

It'd be like if Amazon didn't exist tomorrow and I had to pay sales tax on all of my purchases. I'd hate it since I've been spoiled by such good prices and "cheating" the system with a good deal ;)

20. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

So we are still left with unanswered questions for those debating between an AT&T or Verizon iPhone. So it appears you'll be able to get a Verizon iPhone and have Unlimited data. But what does "for a limited time" mean exactly? Should we assume that you'll be able to stay grandfathered after they switch to tiered? Should we assume you can stay grandfathered even when you upgrade to a new phone (iPhone 5, for example)?

And the Hotspot question still remains. If Verizon were to offer the Hotspot feature for free, then I would almost certainly get the Verizon iPhone. However, if I'm eventually going to end up with tiered data on either carrier, then it really comes down to who will offer up the best LTE package! Because really, if I get an iPhone this year, it will only be a stop-gap until next year when the LTE iPhone comes out.

So if I'm thinking long-term, I should be considering who will have LTE in my area first, and who will likely have the best coverage and packages available. And that, unfortunately, is still the big unanswered question.

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Probably means when it ends those that have unltd will be grandfathered in however new customers will have unltd data... like ATT.

So if you are switching to Verizon do it now before it ends, this way you can be grandfathered in. Once grandfathered if they change it you have the right to break the contract which Verizon won't do.

22. steven10093 macrumors newbie

I had just gotten off the phone with a Verizon Wireless REP. and she had told me that there WILL be a 29.99 unlimited data package for a LIMITED time only!!!

23. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'll be buying the iPhone at full retail because I'm not upgrade eligible until summer. At that time, I will upgrade my contract if the iPhone 5 comes out on Verizon - otherwise I'll wait until next year's version. So in my case, when my contract is over in the summer, would they force me into a tiered plan, or would I still be able to keep the Unlimited?

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If Verizon has any good customer service, then they'd let you keep the grandfathered plan. I know AT&T reps encourage you to keep your $30 plan and warn you heavily it won't come back if you leave it.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Buy iPhone at subsidized pricing.

I know for a fact I can sell my gsm iPhone for $500'ish not sure about a CDMA iPhone.

You might be eligible for iPhone upgrade if iPhone 5 comes out. Use $300 profit to buy iPhone 5.