Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The flood of news stories coming out ahead of the Verizon press conference continues to reinforce the likelihood that the Verizon iPhone will be announced on Tuesday, with The Wall Street Journal now reporting that Verizon is confident that it will be able to handle the onslaught of the iPhone.
Verizon Wireless, the country's largest wireless carrier, is confident enough in its network that it will offer unlimited data-use plans when it starts selling the iPhone around the end of this month, a person familiar with the matter said. Such plans would provide a key means of distinguishing its service from rival AT&T Inc., which limits how much Internet data such as videos and photos its customers may use each month.
AT&T has been widely criticized for performance issues related to its handling of the iPhone. In several major cities, users have reported frequent dropped calls and poor reception.

For its part, AT&T has begun going on the offensive, already working to tout the speed of its 3G network compared to Verizon's CDMA network and also apparently moving to aggressively court the low end of the market with some pricing changes.

AT&T's first official response clearly responding to the Verizon iPhone rumors describes Verizon's CDMA technology as "life in the slow lane.":
The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA phone. I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."
Meanwhile, just prior to the news breaking last Thursday regarding a Verizon iPhone introduction tomorrow, AT&T lowered the price of the 8 GB iPhone 3GS from $99 to $49 with a new two-year contract. Apple quickly followed suit in its own online store, lowering iPhone 3GS pricing to $49 in line with AT&T's pricing.

094051-apple_3gs_49.jpg

All of the focus of the Verizon rumors has been on a CDMA-capable version of the iPhone 4, and Apple is not expected to introduce a CDMA-capable version of the low-end iPhone 3GS for the carrier, meaning that customers not looking for the latest hardware should in fact find the entry-level iPhone price point $150 cheaper at AT&T than Verizon, assuming Verizon offers the same $199/$299 pricing on iPhone 4 models as offered by AT&T.

Apple's pricing for the iPhone 3GS does not appear to have changed in any other countries, where the company's online stores sell iPhones only at unsubsidized prices, suggesting that the U.S.-only move is likely an action by AT&T to boost its subsidy for the iPhone 3GS and thus more aggressively target the low end of the market unreachable by Verizon and its iPhone 4.

Article Link: Verizon Expresses Confidence in Network Capacity as AT&T Preps for Competition

justgeig

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Life in the slow lane????

Sure, At&t has faster 3G speeds but that only does you good if they offer it in your area! Verizon's EVDO is MUCH faster than AT&T's EDGE and is pretty much everywhere these days. I'll take Verizon and their "slow" lane any day.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
So the iPhone is on AT&T and Verizon, both very expensive. But it really needs to be on Sprint. More minutes, nights/weekends @7pm, free calling to ANY MOBILE, TRUE unlimited 4G and 'unlimited' 5GB 3G.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA phone. I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane.""

I have to admit, that IS a good quote. Kudos to whoever wrote that. I'm not sure it's accurate, however.

As a cell phone user (iphone or otherwise), I want a phone that can MAKE PHONE CALLS. AT&T's past performance in this important area has been sketchy at best.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA phone. I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane.""

I have to admit, that IS a good quote. Kudos to whoever wrote that. I'm not sure it's accurate, however.

As a cell phone user (iphone or otherwise), I want a phone that can MAKE PHONE CALLS. AT&T's past performance in this important area has been sketchy at best.

agree. I've tried Verizon, AT&T and Sprint the past year. Dropped calls consistently with AT&T iPhones and even the Nexus One. Now Verizon has absolutely ZERO signal where I live at home! Sprint provided the best coverage and data speeds for where I live.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Its nice to have more options, AT&T is shivering in its boots, good effort on their part, but not sure how much impact it will have.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
No one knows anything. You never know, Verizon could shock the world tomorrow with the first LTE iPhone. Verizon may get the exclusivity of that, you just never know. Whether it be CDMA or LTE, I'll be buying the first round... If it comes out.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Its nice to have more options, AT&T is shivering in its boots, good effort on their part, but not sure how much impact it will have.

i kind of think that the verizon iPhone will bring them subscribers from AT&T, but I don't know how many users will buy the iPhone who are currently on Verizon.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
So the iPhone is on AT&T and Verizon, both very expensive. But it really needs to be on Sprint. More minutes, nights/weekends @7pm, free calling to ANY MOBILE, TRUE unlimited 4G and 'unlimited' 5GB 3G.

agree. I've tried Verizon, AT&T and Sprint the past year. Dropped calls consistently with AT&T iPhones and even the Nexus One. Now Verizon has absolutely ZERO signal where I live at home! Sprint provided the best coverage and data speeds for where I live.

Do you work for Sprint? Your comments sound like a Sprint commercial.

zinj

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
i kind of think that the verizon iPhone will bring them subscribers from AT&T, but I don't know how many users will buy the iPhone who are currently on Verizon.

I know several current Verizon customers who have been waiting patiently for the iPhone, myself included. I had the original iPhone on AT&T and switched to Verizon because of the At&t service in my area. Really looking forward to tomorrows announcement, as I'll get it on day one for sure.

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware

I have Verizon and Sprint. Both of their coverage is pretty bad. It seems like Sprint's doesn't penetrate to my phone for some reason. My Kindle 3G gets pretty good AT&T reception, but AT&T just added 3G to my area, which is why I haven't tried them yet.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I know several current Verizon customers who have been waiting patiently for the iPhone, myself included. I had the original iPhone on AT&T and switched to Verizon because of the At&t service in my area. Really looking forward to tomorrows announcement, as I'll get it on day one for sure.

yea. i guess the iphone doesn't do it for me anymore. maybe if it were on sprint i'd consider it. but it just seems like android has caught up .

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
in my area, at&t has very low reception, though verizon is full reception. so i'd consider changing. however, are you able to use data and call at the same time on verizon. i've heard you can't - i.e. talking on phone while loading the maps or checking email. if verizon can't handle that, i'll be sticking with at&t.

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
Funny how ATT just a few months ago was down playing a loss of exclusivity - now it looks like ATT is getting defensive - interesting to see how verizon will run with the ball

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
But, but, but . . . I was assured by MacRumors posters that there was no such thing as a Verizon iPhone, or that we would definitely not see one in 2011. I'm confused now, for I thought you could trust what was anonymously written here . . .

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
in my area, at&t has very low reception, though verizon is full reception. so i'd consider changing. however, are you able to use data and call at the same time on verizon. i've heard you can't - i.e. talking on phone while loading the maps or checking email. if verizon can't handle that, i'll be sticking with at&t.

No you can't. You will be able to with LTE, but with CDMA 3G, both Verizon and Sprint, you cannot talk and data at the same time.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
I am very sure Verizon will be able to handle the capacity. They've had a few years to build out their capacity and there don't seem to be any issues with all those Android phones being used. Time will tell of course, but I think they'll be fine.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

I agree, genius phrase - great marketing. Does not matter if that is true or not - if they repeat it often enough and if it is getting picked up enough by all 'news' outlets it will stick in peoples mind, no matter if true or not.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I am very sure Verizon will be able to handle the capacity. They've had a few years to build out their capacity and there don't seem to be any issues with all those Android phones being used. Time will tell of course, but I think they'll be fine.

Verizon's network is solid. I read somewhere that the android phones on Verizon use much more data than iPhone users on AT&T, so I don't think there will be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.