Verizon iPhone 4 Yellow Screen Issue Confirmed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DSchwartz88, Feb 13, 2011.

1. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

Just wanted to give some people a quick update on this issue. I got a Verizon iPhone 4 during the Verizon preorder. When I recieved it, I compared it to my AT&T iPhone and noticed that the display was slightly warmer and gave a much more yellow appearance to whites.

I brought it to the Apple Store SoHo on Friday and they immediately replaced it, no questions asked. The genius got me a replacement and I was on my way.

Stupid me forgot to actually look at the phone and lo and behold, yellow screen as well. So I go back tonight to the Apple Store and ask them to replace it, again the genius takes one look and rushes back to get me a new one. This time I make sure to take him with me to other iPhones so we can compare my new replacement phone, and what do you know, yellow screen as well. Me and the genius tested it against 5 separate AT&T iPhones, and they all had non-yellow gorgeous displays.

At this point the genius was stumped, and basically said he was going to escalate the issue up to corporate, so hopefully something will become of it. Either way he put a note tied to my current iPhone's serial number, stating that they should replace it on the spot next time I come in.

Hopefully, corporate will become aware of the issue, and hopefully within the next couple weeks, ill be able to get one without the yellow tint.

One thing to note, my father received an iPhone 4 during the feb 3rd pre-sale as well, and his iPhone display is perfect, so maybe there are problematic batches.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info DSchwartz :)

I always appreciate when people look out for the community like this and give us the heads up on what to watch out for.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Don't we go through this every six months to a year?

First, someone says the screens are too yellow.

Then a while later, people say a batch of screens are too blue.

Then we go back to yellow again.

Not saying it's not a problem, but it also seems to be a repetitive pattern.

4. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is definitely a repeating pattern. This happend to a friend of mine during the AT&T iPhone 4 launch. More of a measure of Current Apple QC than anything else. Just figured id provide the community an update, since I noticed a couple other people suffered from this issue as well. I just wish Apple QC was better is all.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not even sure why this is a problem. I thought Apple used various manufacturers for screens, so this was expected and normal.

It's crazy how Apple will exchange devices with a tinted screen (due to manufacturing variations) but they might leave you hanging with a laptop with 3 dead pixels.

So my iPod Touch has a warm tint? Should I take it to Apple? :confused: (No, I'm not being sarcastic).

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

DSchwartz, it is very much appreciated that you posted that information. I kept my AT&T iPhone and when I got the Verizon iPhone, I put them next to each other and the Verizon screen seemed rather "off". Good to know this was sent to higher ups. I don't have any complaints about the Verizon iPhone, even the yellow-ish tint, but if it ever became a problem, I am happy to know if I needed a replacement that this issue was brought up.

7. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry you dont expect perfection and consistency from a couple hundred dollar device.

I also take it you dont do anything professionally with color either? As someone who spends his day looking at a billion different shades of color for work, having an entire screen tinted is a major distraction.

8. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

My wifes preorder has this issue. The one I picked up for myself on the 10th does not. Not sure what is going on.

9. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Umm, it's not like he just joined here to tell you, and if he had, you'd probably have slated him for flaming.

10. Thadon macrumors member

My preorder iPhone has this... not sure if I'm going to bother getting a new one or not yet.

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

I cant believe this is still an issue. I went through this with the 3GS launch. It is unacceptable for sure.

I have a friend with a crystal clear Verizon iPhone screen, so don't give up, correct screens exist.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I understand, but I thought it was normal to have slight variations amongst iPhones.

I see the warmness differences when I look at my iPhone and iPod Touch, but personally, I couldn't be bothered by it knowing that the replacement iPod might have the same thing or that the Genius would refuse to help me stating its a "manufacturing variation and its normal"

13. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

More like $600 - $700...

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My Verizon iPhone 4 looks identical to my (now my wife's) AT&T iPhone 4.
    I do not find it yellow in the slightest.
    Not denying some are yellow, but I doubt it affects ALL of them.

15. gb1631 macrumors regular

16. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Haven't heard anyone complain that they had a screen that was to blue? My wifes 3GS is so yellow it's distracting. For the life of me I don't understand how they don't add a setting to go from yellow to blue. I'd think if our TV's can do it then iPhones could too.

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Probably just a bad batch, although some people might like the warmer screen

18. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I'd take my yellow screen back but I'm sure all the replacements are the same... Cmon iPhone 5! Give me a blue screen!!!

19. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

This is not exclusive to the Verizon iphones. I experienced this in the last 2 months from AT&T iphone and the iPad.

I have a black iPhone I bought at launch last year. Display is beautiful with a cooler tone and bright whites. I recently converted it to a white one (tired of waiting for the real thing) and still wanted a black one as well. It was always my plan to have a black and white and to pop my sim into whichever one I wanted for that day. When I get the black one (which was mfg 4th week of 11) the display is awful. It is so yellow looking that I can barely look at it.

further more, I bought an iPad 2 months ago. I had a wifi only and sold it to get a 3G. Guess what, yellow display. I exchange it twice and they all had it.
    Now since I had one from last year, I know what it is supposed to look like.

I returned the ipad and repurchased again 2 weeks ago. Again, yellow display.

I agree that this is a matter of Apple turning us consumers into a QC dept.
    maybe it is cheaper to replace 3%(pulled that number out of my A$$) of "XXXX" sold than to pay for a QC dept to check things.

20. james92se macrumors 6502a

My sister in law just got a Verizon iPhone yesterday and I noticed once I had the phones side by side that hers is slightly yellow, comparatively.

However, the whole beginning of the day I never noticed and it's only yellow "by comparison". I really don't think it's that big a deal and I'm not even sure most would notice unless you put two side by side. I certainly didn't

21. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

you are right, some are slightly yellow and would only tell if another was beside it. That would be considered the variance. However, many of them are so bad that you can just tell that the whites are yellow not white without having anything to compare it to.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Seems like this will never stop.

Use the phone. It's great no matter what.

23. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

people like you crack me up.Its a non issue until yours is like it and then watchout. I agree that some people obsess over the stupidist thing. But the display on a phone like this is the focal point of the device. it is the window to our content and for it to be subpar is unacceptable. I can live with many imperfections, but this is an issue that I dont think anyone should have to.

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Why haven't people realized that Apple are preferring warmer screen calibration since the introduction of the 3GS (even some replacement 3G). Heck an Apple exec confirmed it IIRC.

25. kre62 macrumors 68000

Cause thats not true. If all phones had a slightly warmer tint, then yes. Since most screens are a clear blueish tint, Yellow screens are defects.

Want to know for sure? Look at the display iPhones in an Apple store. You wont find a single yellow screen. I want the product on display, not some bastardized version that I'm supposed to "deal with".