Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zalman

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
I got same issue with vietnam's SIM.
Model: SVC,IPHONE 6 PLUS,MM,16GB,SILVER,CI/AR
IMEI:
Serial:
ICCID:
Coverage: Apple Limited Warranty
Coverage Start Date: 01/03/15
Coverage End Date: 01/02/16
Activated: Yes
Unbricked: True
First UnBrick: 10/02/14
Last UnBrick: 02/11/15
Wifi Mac Address:
Bluetooth Mac Address:
Version: 8.1.2
Sold To:
Initial Policy: 2320 - US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy
Applied Policy: 2320 - US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy
NextTether Policy: 2320 - US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy
Purchase Country: United States
Purchase Date:
Unlock Date: 11/02/14
Factory Unlocked: True
Simlock: Unlocked
Find My iPhone: OFF

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
A number of brand new users seem to be suddenly joining just to post about experiencing this problem. Perhaps it's nothing, perhaps not.

I do find it interesting too that it seems as if there is almost no one who regularly posts to this forum that has this issue.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
False. At least in my case, it is. I think you are over generalizing here.

Bought my VZW 6 in November directly via Apple. It's under a 2 year agreement. Ends in November 2016. Model is MG612LL/A.

I can put an Orange (EE) SIM in it and it works fine. I get my UK phone number. No issues activating, no SIM lock screen shows up.

My wife's VZW 5S also works great with the same Orange (EE) SIM. She's in contract until late this year.

Attached are pics (deleted last part of phone number in second image).

Also, just for kicks and grins, I ran that $1.99 report on it.

I've removed my serial numbers.

Code:
Model: IPHONE 6 SILVER 128GB VERIZON-USA
IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Version: 8.1.3
Warranty Status: Apple Limited Warranty
Warranty Days Remaining: 605
Estimated Purchase Date: 10/17/14
Registration Date: 12/24/14
ICCID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mac Address: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Bluetooth Mac Address: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Unbrick: True
First Unbrick Date: 10/24/14
Last Unbrick Date: 10/24/14
Activation Policy ID: 2023
Activation Policy Details: US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Next Tether Policy ID: 2023
Next Tether Policy Details: US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Purchase Country: United States
Sold To Name: APPLE
Carrier: US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy
Find My iPhone: ON

You have the correct policy on your device, and this has NOTHING to do with the 5S and older units. This issue is only limited to iPhone 6/6+ units and that too <10% of the units I would say if not <1% of the units. Because your SIM worked, there was no need t waste $1.99 on a report. I'm glad you checked and that you are in the clear. Also this issue is only affecting the small % of devices that have some sort of contractual agreement, all the units I have see so far (5) including mine that were purchased at full price do not have issue at all.

----------

I do find it interesting too that it seems as if there is almost no one who regularly posts to this forum that has this issue.

If you guys have doubts, welcome to ask Mods to track IP addresses and other user information to get past your doubts lol...the fact is the issue exists and that was enough for me to start the thread to bring it to people's attention.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Hello People,

An update to my post.....

I had raised a query with Apple regarding my iPhone 6 not working on international Sims while it worked perfectly on all US operator Sims, there I came in contacted with a senior Apple adviser who was very helpful at investigating and resolving my iPhone 6 issue.

If you see, the post from acadiel! it mentions the policy applied to his iPhone 6 as "US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy" whereas in my case it was "US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy" and that's exactly the issue with the problematic iPhone's we are discussing.

The senior Apple adviser was able to understand my problem statement and asked me to provide her a proof of purchase which would help her further probe the problem. I had purchased this iPhone 6 from eBay and hence sent an eBay receipt. Unfortunately, she said that it didn't help much, maybe since it wasn't from an Apple authorized re-seller or distributor.

She guided and helped me put this case through to the eBay seller and later we understood from the information we gathered that the iPhone was not legit, and the seller immediately credited a full refund in my Paypal account against this purchase.

Appreciate all the help and guidance provided by all on this thread and most importantly thanks to Apple support for helping me successfully concluding my case.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hello People,

An update to my post.....

I had raised a query with Apple regarding my iPhone 6 not working on international Sims while it worked perfectly on all US operator Sims, there I came in contacted with a senior Apple adviser who was very helpful at investigating and resolving my iPhone 6 issue.

If you see, the post from acadiel! it mentions the policy applied to his iPhone 6 as "US Verizon LTE MM N61/N56/N51/N48/N42 Activation Policy" whereas in my case it was "US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy" and that's exactly the issue with the problematic iPhone's we are discussing.

The senior Apple adviser was able to understand my problem statement and asked me to provide her a proof of purchase which would help her further probe the problem. I had purchased this iPhone 6 from eBay and hence sent an eBay receipt. Unfortunately, she said that it didn't help much, maybe since it wasn't from an Apple authorized re-seller or distributor.

She guided and helped me put this case through to the eBay seller and later we understood from the information we gathered that the iPhone was not legit, and the seller immediately credited a full refund in my Paypal account against this purchase.

Appreciate all the help and guidance provided by all on this thread and most importantly thanks to Apple support for helping me successfully concluding my case.

Define "not legit" you mean it was not purchased in a legit manner? obtained fraudulently?

Thanks for the update by the way.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
The seller from whom i had bought the iPhone 6 over eBay seemed to be a re-seller and had purchased some 4-5 iPhone 6's from a supplier who didn't provide him a unit unique receipt.

I kept on demanding a receipt, however due to his inability to provide it, he refunded the full amount to me. I believe that he may have doubted that the iPhone he sold me could have been a stolen property (though it appeared clean on all IMEI check/Blacklist websites) and may not have wanted to get into legal hassles.

laura329

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
apple also suggested me to contact seller if the phone can be returned or exchanged.
They said they checked activation policy has no problem.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
@laura329 - You may get support from Apple directly if you have a proper purchase receipt with the IMEI of the iPhone mentioned on it. However if your case is like mine, i.e. you have an eBay or similar receipt where the IMEI is not mentioned, then you may have a tough time getting the iPhone exchanged/returned from/to the seller. Have patience and don't let go.... Be persistent on your efforts, you will get it for sure.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Hi People, seems the traction on this tread is stalled.... Can we please have any suggestions/inputs to help us get out of this ackward situation by keeping the traction on.

dgabler

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
Paid for a GSX check but it did not have the activation policy details.

Chatted with a rep and both iPhone 6's I purchased (full retail price) have the following policy in Apples system "Verizon Wireless- United States USA (Locked)"

Not sure how to find out what this maps to...

dgabler

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
Found an o2 sim I had for my 4s at home. Shaved it down put it in and it worked. No issues at all aside from the £0.00 balance. :)

errorunknown

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
I can confirm that this is a real issue!

Just came back from dealing with Apple, AT&T and Verizon. My father has a Verizon iPhone 6 that he purchased from Verizon. As you all know, Verizon states that they do not lock their phones, and as such they do not have an unlock procedure. My father took his phone to Europe and was able to use an international SIM without issue. He later had to get his phone replaced his phone by Apple and switched service to AT&T two weeks later. 2 weeks after that he went on another trip to Europe and when he tried to use his same international SIM he received an Invalid SIM error.

We talked to AT&T and they said that the phone was not locked on their end. We talked to Verizon and they said that they do not lock their phone and cannot unlock it. We went to Apple and they looked up the phone by its IMEI and confirmed that the phone was LOCKED by Verizon. I have attached a picture we took of the internal documentation from Apple that proves that the phone is Verizon locked. More specifically it is locked INTERNATIONALLY. Verizon is escalating to R&D to see what they can do to resolve the issue.

I believe that this is only an issue with phones that have been replaced by Apple. You can see if you have a service replacement by looking at the model number in the settings. If the model number starts with an N, that means you have a service replacement.

EDyYj1f.jpg

Last edited:

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
I believe that this is only an issue with phones that have been replaced by Apple. You can see if you have a service replacement by looking at the model number in the settings. If the model number starts with an M, that means you have a service replacement.

My model starts with a M is fully unlocked and it was not a replacement... I did a simple check of the IMEI listed and it's supposed to be unlocked:
Code:
iPhone 6 - 64GB Gold
North America/Verizon

Serial: DNRNCSABG5MJ
Replaced Serial: C7JP32WZG5MJ
Internal Name: iPhone7,2
Model Number: A1549
Order Number: MG502
Board ID: n61ap
FCC ID: BCG-E2816A
Network: GSM/CDMA(Global)
Manufacture Date: January, 2015
Production Week: 3
Phone Age: 0 Year(s), 2 Month(s), 28 Day(s)
Factory: C7 / Pentragon, Changhai, China (Possible Refurbished)
Introduction Date: September 9, 2014
Discontinue Date: N/A
AppleCare Protection: No
Telephone Technical Support: Expired
Repairs & Service Coverage: September 19, 2015
Purchase Country: UNITED STATES
Purchase Date: September 20, 2014
Sold To: VERIZON WIRELESS - D239301
Carrier: Us Verizon
Factory Simlock: Unlocked
AT&T (USA): Clean
Verizon (USA): Clean
T-Mobile (USA): Clean
Cricket (USA): Clean
Metro PCS (USA): Clean
Telus (Canada): Clean
Telenor (Sweden): Clean
Softbank (Japan): IMEI is not recognized in Softbank
AU KDDI (Japan): IMEI is not recognized in KDDI

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I can confirm that this is a real issue!

Just came back from dealing with Apple, AT&T and Verizon. My father has a Verizon iPhone 6 that he purchased from Verizon. As you all know, Verizon states that they do not lock their phones, and as such they do not have an unlock procedure. My father took his phone to Europe and was able to use an international SIM without issue. He later had to get his phone replaced his phone by Apple and switched service to AT&T two weeks later. 2 weeks after that he went on another trip to Europe and when he tried to use his same international SIM he received an Invalid SIM error.

We talked to AT&T and they said that the phone was not locked on their end. We talked to Verizon and they said that they do not lock their phone and cannot unlock it. We went to Apple and they looked up the phone by its IMEI and confirmed that the phone was LOCKED by Verizon. I have attached a picture we took of the internal documentation from Apple that proves that the phone is Verizon locked. More specifically it is locked INTERNATIONALLY. Verizon is escalating to R&D to see what they can do to resolve the issue.

I believe that this is only an issue with phones that have been replaced by Apple. You can see if you have a service replacement by looking at the model number in the settings. If the model number starts with an N, that means you have a service replacement.

Strange part: it says "Activation Date" December 1969.....

----------

My model starts with a M is fully unlocked and it was not a replacement... I did a simple check of the IMEI listed and it's supposed to be unlocked:
Code:
iPhone 6 - 64GB Gold
North America/Verizon

Your iPhone is unlocked

thegrinch54

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2015
SIM Locked out of international.

So i got an iPhone swapped out from APPLE that was supposedly locked to T-mobile.

At the apple store, they did a DFU reset or something ( they RE-installed the iPhone software before they turned on the phone) and my phone became UNLOCKED to all US carriers.

I do have 3 DIFFERENT international Sim Cards, from 2 different countries.

when i place the sim into the iPhone 6 Plus, it is locked. The phone is unlocked to AT&T and T-mobile again, but will not work with my international sim cards.

I neeeed to unlock this phone to be able to use it abroad in 13 days.
I just paid $3 to check WHO this phone is locked to so i can pay to unlock it (APPLE SAID IT WAS A T-MOBILE REPLACEMENT), and apparently it turns out to be a VERIZON locked phone.

this is what the showed up on my PAID check:

US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service Policy

Does anyone know what i could do in this case to unlock it for international use?

I have the issue stated above and it has affected me directly #justsaying.

Thanks for any input.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Code:
iPhone 6 - 64GB Gold
North America/Verizon

Hey DanielNTX

From which website did you get this report? In mine, I didn't get the replaced serial. Thx.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Hey DanielNTX

From which website did you get this report? In mine, I didn't get the replaced serial. Thx.

One of the free IMEI info sites... I forget which one right now.

I'd like to know that as well. These free sites used to work well, but all the free ones that I can find are now broken and refer you to their paid sites.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I think it was this one: http://www.imei.info/

You have to have an account.

I have an account there...I used to use that site until the iphone 6 came along.

This is the message I get now.

This service is temporarily not available, check again in a few days or try paid version which works well.
How to find lock status in my iPhone check result?

Oh well it doesn't matter mine is unlocked anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.