Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Boom! Let's see if AT&T steps up and matches this. They better or I know at least one person jumping ship.

Paden

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
It's an app similar to their MiFi device that allows up to 5 different people to use your internet connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Not familiar with Verizon, what is "Mobile Hotspot"?

You can turn the phone into a wireless "wifi" router, so any other device you have that uses wifi can connect to the phone and share it's 3G connection, such as your laptop or iPad.

Ethere

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central PA
This is exactly what I want to hear. People leaving AT&T and jumping over to Verizon for their iPhone. This can only be good news for those of us who are going to stay with AT&T.

Since it's CDMA, are you going to be able to browse the internet at the same time you're on the phone?

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
yes, AT&T better match or I'll consider switching also... Was planning to stay to AT&T, but now I have a decision to make

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Unless this is free, it's no better than Sprint's hotspot service for phones like the EVO, or AT&T's current tethering service. Free would be incredible.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
I thought I read that you can indeed receive calls, it just stops the internet from working?

Also, would this be part of the firmware or an app? Tethering right now is only USB/bluetooth.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
This was what I was hoping for. I am perfectly happy with AT&T but if they won't match Verizon on the tethering I am gone. The $20 to use the data you already have is BS.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I can only hope people leave AT&T in droves and they start allowing at least tethering on AT&T.

Mr Mot

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
No voice and data at the same time on the Verizon iPhone

Why are people so fussed about this?

You either have the phone pressed up against your face or take your call on loudspeaker with the flashing banner at the top of the screen, neither are great ways to browse the internet on a small device whilst consentrating on a conversation.

Why don't you pay the people your on the phone to some more attention.
Then you can get off the phone quicker and carry on browsing.

Failing that, take your calls with a wifi connection too, that way you can chat on the phone and browse whatever it is that's oh-so important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.