Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghostlyorb, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

So I know that Verizon most likely WON'T get the iPhone.. and I'm getting ready to switch to AT&T.. but if I took the SIM card from my VZW Blackberry.. would it work in the iPhone? Just a curious question I have.:confused:
    I'll be getting the new iPhone this summer and I'm pretty excited! :D

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. troop231 macrumors 603

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If your Verizon BB has a SIM, it's for international use only. It's useless in the US. In the US it'll use Verizon's CDMA network.

So no, if it has one, it won't work.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sigh

if it were that simple a ton of people would have done it! ;)

6. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Verizon iPhone - don't think it will ever happen. Not for a long time anyways.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Verizon wants too much control over their phones; they would never allow a phone that can download music and apps that they don't control. The very openness of the iPhone is a direct conflict with Verizon's "we control the phones" philosophy.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

The sim in your Blackberry "world phone" won't work. Verizon in the US is CDMA-only.

The CDMA Verizon iPhone will likely show up later this year. Most prevalent rumor is third quarter (September).

9. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Okay cool. Yeah that's what I had thought. The BB Tour is a "world phone" so I guess that's why it has a SIM card. I'm excited to see if the AT&T network is more stable than the Verizon network.. at least where I live. My BB is suppose to have 3G.. but I don't think it's actually 3G. Internet is so slow and not worth paying $30 for.:(

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    As far as smartphone control goes, you have it exactly backwards.

On Verizon (and any other carrier, for that matter), smartphones can download apps, music, themes, etc from anywhere the owner wishes.

The iPhone is the only smartphone that's locked down so that apps must come from one place --- Apple, who also censors the selection according to their own tastes.

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

No it will not show up later this year...don't give false hope to the gullible

12. brvheart macrumors 6502

Wait a minute - I am not a verizon advocate, quite the opposite, but lets face it the iphone does salute openness - the only that can be downloaded is from itunes and CD's you already have, that is controlled by apple. So instead of the phone company controlling the phone, the manufacture is.

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

I went through that with Verizon too. When negotiating our corporate account, the district rep went on and about how Verizon's broadband was "3G" too. Well, having been on it with my Blackberry for 2 years, I can tell you that their "3G" (1X Ev/DO) is pretty lame compared to the 3G performance my wife gets with her iPhone.

14. Hmac macrumors 68020

Your opinion vs mine. I think a CDMA iPhone is obvious, but time will tell.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Openness? iPhone? You're joking, right?

16. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

obvious?? how so? no leaked photos of one, not even rumors about production of the elusive CDMA iPhone...how is it obvious? it should be obvious after three straight years of rumored Verizon iPhones and not one has come to fruition, that it ain't happening anytime soon

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You always say this as if you are Steve Jobs or something. You don't KNOW for sure either way.

As I've said many times, there are rumors stating there might be a Verizon phone this year. But in past years we had the same rumors that never worked out.

Don't rely on anything in these forums. There are a bunch of know-it-alls here that can't admit they don't know squat and are only speculating.

So don't hold your breath. But also don't assume it won't happen. When it happens, you will most certainly hear about it all over the place.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Another iPhone on Verizon thread? People, it ain't happening (for a long time) so stop asking.

Everyone saying so is wrong and will eat crow by end of WWDC keynote. AT&T's reassurance of iPhone exclusivity runs strong, even so more with AT&T being the sole provider for 3G in the iPad.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You also need to stop acting like you work for Apple or something. You need to stop making factual statements when in fact they are not factual.

I agree, we most likely won't hear about a Verizon iPhone during the WWDC, but this is an educated guess on my part (as well as yours.)

I'm getting so sick of people making statements around here that could only be made by someone intimately involved in the decision making process.

21. Hmac macrumors 68020

Obvious. I'm actually kind of surprised that you don't see it.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it wont work in the US.
    Only if you're roaming outside of the country and had an unlocked iphone it would.

Keep dreaming :D

23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

usually when people see something that others don't it's a result of delusion...I admire the level of tenacity with which you defend the Verizon iPhone rumors

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Many phones come in both CDMA and GSM flavors. In most other countries, the iPhone is no longer exclusive to one carrier. It's a probable reality that the same will happen here in the US. So I'd say you need to check yourself if you think someone's deluded.

I'm with you on doubting an announcement this WWDC, but to keep making absolute statements like you do about it never happening is just plain naive.

25. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

as I've said many times there have always been rumors stating there MIGHT be a Verizon iPhone since 2007 and time and time again they prove to be nothing more than rumor...I don't use macrumors as a definitive source on anything unless it can be verified by multiple reputable outlets so kill that argument right there...as for holding breath...I don't need to, I have an iPhone and have had one since it's release because I'm fine with AT&T