Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I guess it is easy to forget about the HSPA+ support since my iPhone 4 doesn't have it. I think.

I figure it will probably be a year before LTE comes to my home on ATT, though Verizon has it.

I think that Verizon would be better if I do more traveling in rural areas. I know that Colorado was bad for ATT for me.

Exact same thing here in Fl - great Verizon LTE coverage now locally, and we travel mostly in rural areas with little to no AT&T coverage of any sort. I at least get EVDO with Verizon, which is useable.

I converted to VZ on my iPhone 4S purchase for the same reasons.

Right now I'm paying for a VZ hotspot because we had no internet service many places we travel to every year.

If I was staying in metro areas, AT&T would be a stronger option.

thaghost

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Winter Garden, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

To dive and for the 32gb white Verizon.

dkushner

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
I just noticed that Apple added a Verizon 1GB plan for $20 on the iPad pre-order site. This option was not there yesterday.

I pulled the trigger on the Verizon model since my iPhone is AT&T. This way I have the best chance of coverage regardless of location - either Verizon or AT&T.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
I know it was asked earlier but didn't see it addressed. Does the extra LTE band on the AT&T model provide any advantage over the Verizon model, possibly for current international travel or future compatibility with US LTE networks?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Verizon Hotspot for iPad -- at last??

The biggest question I need answered is related to how Verizon will treat the hotspot capability in the iPad. On my Verizon Xoom hot spot is specifically included as a feature in the Verizon literature and using it does not cost anything additional. Just uses my 2GB data. It is the main reason I moved to Verizon and bought this Motorola Xoom. I'm very tempted to go back to iPad but really need Verizon to step up and offer this on iPads and not just Android tablets (the current iPad 2 does not have any hotspot capability on Verizon)

I don't use this capability often but it's essential and I can't rely on my Sprint phone coverage to use their hotspot feature reliably. I can't find anything on the Verizon (or AT&T website that indicates how they're handling hotspot on the iPad)

Cheers,

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
VZW has more and better LTE coverage. If not LTE, you drop to slow EV-DO rA

AT&T has some LTE coverage, but the new iPad will drop to HSDPA and HSPA+ which is faster than EV-DO rA.

So, it's a personal decision based on locality and coverage.

And this is why I went with the AT&T version. Plus it helps that I have that grandfathered Unlimited Plan. We'll see how well it all works in practice once they start hitting peoples hot hands and taxing the network.

WhiteGrapes

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Is AT&T 4G iPad identical to international model?

Quick question. Is the AT&T 4G iPad identical to the version sold internationally (e.g., in the UK)? It would seem so based on the tech specs:

US:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
• Wi-Fi + 4G for AT&T model: LTE (700, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
• Wi-Fi + 4G for Verizon model: LTE (700 MHz); CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UK:
http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/specs/
• Wi-Fi + 4G model: LTE (700, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Thanks.

cabingirl

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2006
One question, if you choose the $15 plan and go over 250MB does it charge you overages right away or does it warn you beforehand? Or does it automatically just give you another 250MB for another $15?

It warns you when you get close to the limit. It only happened to me once so I can't remember if it was a popup on the iPad or an email. At that point, IIRC, you have the option of upgrading to the 2GB plan for that month for an extra $15.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I went with AT&T for two reasons.....primarily because I've had them on all my phones and iPads and never have had an issues but also because they just rolled out LTE in my area (January/February in Raleigh NC).

Verizon has been in the area since last June and I'm hoping AT&T will be less congested. From everything I've read, AT&T gets the nod in terms of speed, so I went with them. The decision was made further confusing as the coverage maps for AT&T and Verizon in my region (North Carolina) are basically identical.

For my area, I think either one would have probably been fine.

dkushner

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
I just noticed that Apple added a Verizon 1GB plan for $20 on the iPad pre-order site. This option was not there yesterday.

I pulled the trigger on the Verizon model since my iPhone is AT&T. This way I have the best chance of coverage regardless of location - either Verizon or AT&T.

Copied from the current pre-order site. If the Verizon 1GB for $20 was there yesterday then I am mistaken. Can anyone else recall?

(AT&T)
250MB per month2 $14.99
3GB per month2 $30.00
5GB per month2 $50.00

(Verizon)
1GB per month2 $20.00
2GB per month2 $30.00
5GB per month2 $50.00

Last edited:

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I went Verizon because I refuse to give AT&T any more money than I have to. I have absolutely had it with their treatment of customers.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I went Verizon because I refuse to give AT&T any more money than I have to. I have absolutely had it with their treatment of customers.

x2. Even talked to the office of President and was rudely treated.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
The biggest question I need answered is related to how Verizon will treat the hotspot capability in the iPad. On my Verizon Xoom hot spot is specifically included as a feature in the Verizon literature and using it does not cost anything additional. Just uses my 2GB data. It is the main reason I moved to Verizon and bought this Motorola Xoom. I'm very tempted to go back to iPad but really need Verizon to step up and offer this on iPads and not just Android tablets (the current iPad 2 does not have any hotspot capability on Verizon)

I don't use this capability often but it's essential and I can't rely on my Sprint phone coverage to use their hotspot feature reliably. I can't find anything on the Verizon (or AT&T website that indicates how they're handling hotspot on the iPad)

Cheers,

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/07/mobile-hotspot-included-in-verizons-ipad-4g-lte-data-plan/

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
The posted rates were different yesterday

Copied from the current pre-order site. If the Verizon 1GB for $20 was there yesterday then I am mistaken. Can anyone else recall?

(AT&T)
250MB per month2 $14.99
3GB per month2 $30.00
5GB per month2 $50.00

(Verizon)
1GB per month2 $20.00
2GB per month2 $30.00
5GB per month2 $50.00

Yesterday Verizon had $30/$50/$80 posted for 2 GB/5GB/10GB. No 1 GB option was posted. AT&T posted 2GB for $30, not 3 GB as is showing today.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Verizon

I currently have the grandfathered unlimited data with AT&T with the iPhone but went with the Verizon 4 LTE iPad.

I plan in the fall switching my iPhone to Verizon with the hopes Verizon will offer the option of a joint data plan between the iPhone and iPad.

I can't say I've ever been throttled by AT&T but I want better phone talk coverage and I hear Verizon's 4 LTE has more coverage and is plenty fast.

If Verizon can offer $50 for 5GB between the iPhone and iPad that's what I would get.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

I'm considering going Verizon for that reason as well. My phone is from work, so no chance of combining cell service. On the other hand, AT&T's 3G is much faster. I'm in NYC so both have LTE available.

In favor of AT&T is that I might be able to transfer over my iPad's unlimited service. But I'm not sure what that will mean for the LTE service. Also that plan is $30 and I think I'm unlikely to go over the 2GB of data which Verizon offers for $30 since I'm usually on wifi.

I guess I'm going to wait until I can read some real world full reviews. Which of course means not ordering until after the device starts shipping, which means I will probably be ordering into a three week backup of supply. Bummer, but the prudent thing to do with a nearly $800 purchase.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005

(AT&T)
250MB per month2 $14.99
3GB per month2 $30.00
5GB per month2 $50.00

(Verizon)
1GB per month2 $20.00
2GB per month2 $30.00
5GB per month2 $50.00

The 1 GB option most definitely was not there yesterday. If you go to Verizon's site, they still have just the 2, 5 and 10 GB plans. What's with all the switching and confusion?

dkushner

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
The 1 GB option most definitely was not there yesterday. If you go to Verizon's site, they still have just the 2, 5 and 10 GB plans. What's with all the switching and confusion?

ProMod, thanks for the sanity check.

I just took a print screen of the 1GB Verizon option for $20 on Apple's site...just in case :cool:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Hmm, I just thought of this. I expect my new iPad to last at least 2 years. I also expect to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 when it comes out. My iPhone 5 will obviously have LTE connection and, since I get it through work and work has an AT&T contract. Well, there is a reason for me to go Verizon so I have diversification in my coverage when traveling.

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I would think if you are planning to travel at all either for work or vacation, or if you even plan on just driving around your home state on occasion, you would want to go Verizon simply because its LTE coverage is in more areas, which is what I did. I really don't think with a 2 GB cap that most people are going to have, the difference in download speed is significant at all. Most people are going to use LTE for browsing, checking email, maybe streaming some music... you start getting into things like video downloads over cellular and you're gonna eat up a ton of bandwidth anyway, so the maximum download speed isn't really that significant. With this in mind, I think it's more prudent to go with the more mature LTE network that is in more places... unless you are pretty much confined to one metro area that has ATT LTE service.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Verizon chickening out and not wanting to look more expensive than AT&T. So they added a low cost plan. Smart move since Verizon doesn't want to get vastly outsold on another Apple device.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.