Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiborsy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
Well actually you all just got ripped who bought the At&t LTE and wanted to use the hotspot feature.

VERIZON FREE HOTSPOT included in data plan. I called Verizon to confirm.

http://www.cultofmac.com/151586/att-wont-let-you-tether-your-new-ipad-lte/#disqus_thread

Very curious how AT&T will respond to this. I'll probably change my order to a Verizon unit if AT&T doesn't offer the same capability (and not require moving up to the $50 plan), and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Very curious how AT&T will respond to this. I'll probably change my order to a Verizon unit if AT&T doesn't offer the same capability (and not require moving up to the $50 plan), and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

At&t has confirmed as of now maybe in the future. Did the same thing as the iphone 4 no hotspot untill verizon did it. Have choices helps keep them honest.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005

As has Engadget and every other site. This is very bad news for AT&T. I'm thinking they better do an about-face on this immediately or we're going to see a serious backlash.

I'm torn on what to do. I wanted the AT&T one because the coverage is good in my area (Charlotte), and it's who I've always had all of my phone service through. I've been fairly satisfied with them.

I was planning on using the iPad to tether to my MacBook Pro on the go. I'm wondering now if I should go with Verizon, wait it out, or switch to a Wi-Fi only model and then use the upcoming iPhone 5 as the sole data plan/hotspot device.

Why do they have to make this so hard?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
at&t

I am really tempted to cancel my AT&T pre-order to go for a Verizon but there is too much lack of information. Only speculation.

I am in the same boat, only because they announced the hotspot. Since I found out the Verizon is unlocked for global I am having a hard time justifying AT&T, i will never use that 15.00 plan.

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Another item to consider is what plan your cell phones are on. In the not too distant future all data will be shared. Verizon said it will happen this year. This is major so I expect AT&T will follow. So having AT&T phones and Verizon tablet will be problematic.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Still sticking with AT&T because I'll never tether from an iPad to my computer, they have faster speeds and they offer an extra GB of data for $30.

Still, I hope AT&T does something to respond.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just switched from 32GB Wifi to 32GB Verizon LTE. The free hotspot and adding back the $20 plan sealed it for me. Also there will icing on the cake if the GSM sim is carrier unlocked and I have the option of getting an AT&T sim and activating it should I ever feel so inclined. But we will have to wait and see until someone gets it to see if the SIM is unlocked.

yabai

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
I actually went up a grade and changed my pre-order from WiFi only to Verizon 4G. Free hotspot and larger LTE coverage is tough to beat unless the coverage in your particular region is bad. Both carriers get great 3G coverage where I live, but only Verizon has LTE available. AT&T won't have LTE for at least 2 years, so I can revisit the option in time for iPad, uh, 5.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I just switched from an AT&T 32GB to a Wi-Fi only 32GB. I will use my iPhone as the hotspot for my iPad and/or MacBook Pro. Once the new iPhone is released in the coming months, I will upgrade to it and presumably get my 4G data connection that way. One bill, no hassle. Savings up front on the iPad itself, a bit of savings by having only one data plan, and avoiding the dilemma of which carrier to choose at this point in time.

If you think about it, buying a maxed out iPad at almost $900 after tax is a bit much when you can get an actual computer, a MacBook Air, for around $100 more. To me, the iPad is getting a bit expensive at that point for what amounts to a "big iPhone", entertainment/email/web browsing device. A 32 GB Wi-Fi only model at $599 seems to hit a nice sweet spot.

Just my point of view, yours may vary.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Wow...lots of people jumping ship on AT&T. AWESOME :D I just wish Verizon's $30 plan was 3GB like AT&T :(

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I actually went up a grade and changed my pre-order from WiFi only to Verizon 4G. Free hotspot and larger LTE coverage is tough to beat unless the coverage in your particular region is bad. Both carriers get great 3G coverage where I live, but only Verizon has LTE available. AT&T won't have LTE for at least 2 years, so I can revisit the option in time for iPad, uh, 5.

You mean The new new new iPad

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Still sticking with AT&T because I'll never tether from an iPad to my computer, they have faster speeds and they offer an extra GB of data for $30.

Still, I hope AT&T does something to respond.

They are faster right now because no one is on them wait till about 10 million ipads and 10 more million phones are using the network.

txjeep

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
After reading all of this, I went with Verizon as well. Free Hotspot made it that much easier. My ATT service seems to get worse every day, and the throttling of the unlimited plan, though I have not knowingly been throttled, seems to be unethical, even if technically "legal". I have been a long time ATT customer, but it is time to diversify. When the iPhone5 comes out, I may switch to Verizon as well, if I like how this iPad works out.

Thank you all for helping me make my decision!

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
They are faster right now because no one is on them wait till about 10 million ipads and 10 more million phones are using the network.

they will still be faster than verizon. just like 3g. i cold care less about hotspot so im keeping my unlimited un throttled data on att 4g!

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010

AT&T has HSPA+ in my area. Verizon doesn't.
AT&T is rolling out LTE on 700MHz as well as 1900 MHz meaning they will better be able to handle capacity than Verizon.
And the same can be said of Verizon?

So I don't see how it's applicable. xD;

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
AT&T is rolling out LTE on 700MHz as well as 1900 MHz meaning they will better be able to handle capacity than Verizon.

Correct Verizon does not have HSPA+ because they are not GSM. That is a true statement. Also At&t does not have WiiMax where I live. lol

They are rolling out less towers so thats why they have more bands. But if you want At&t go get it. Leaves more Verizon bandwidth for me. :)

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
they will still be faster than verizon. just like 3g. i cold care less about hotspot so im keeping my unlimited un throttled data on att 4g!

they wont be faster like 3g. both carriers have different types of 3g, while they use the same technology for LTE. The LTE limitations at the moment are the same for both. Verizon has had their network for a while and have tons of LTE devices on it already. ATT does not but eventually will with the new ipad and next iphone.

Speed will depend on the number of users and number of towers.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011

They still will be fast based on what?

Verizon are using the same 4g tech for once. They have before so only time will tell. But I will give up a little peak speeds to have more coverage.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007

ATT has two bands because they don't have enough specturm. that was the reason they wanted tmobile. right now verizon has more specturm than att and they have the ability to add more towers. Verizon is also converting their old 3g into lte towers quicker because they know they need lte speed where as att just got done updating to hspa +

HuRR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2003
I think at the end of the day it's what appeals to you. AT&T, allegedly from the blogs I've read, has faster LTE and 3G/4G. Verizon has the better plans and pricing. I have an AT&T preorder currently but am strongly considering changing to Verizon. 14.99 for 250MB? I mean seriously, AT&T lets be a little more realistic.

Also if you internationally, I don't think you'll have LTE. Should be a moot point. Meh, I still have no idea what I should do.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I think at the end of the day it's what appeals to you. AT&T, allegedly from the blogs I've read, has faster LTE and 3G/4G. Verizon has the better plans and pricing. I have an AT&T preorder currently but am strongly considering changing to Verizon. 14.99 for 250MB? I mean seriously, AT&T lets be a little more realistic.

Also if you internationally, I don't think you'll have LTE. Should be a moot point. Meh, I still have no idea what I should do.

I'd say AT&T has better pricing...$30 for 3GB vs $30 for 2GB. If Verizon matched this and still offered tethering, I'd switch from my AT&T order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.