Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdyoyo

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Just got in my order for a 64 GB iPhone 5S in gold. I just bought got a white / silver off contract, gonna return it , and eat the $35 fee. I can wait till November or whenever it ships. Great find OP! Thanks!

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Ok I'm on a family share everything plan. I see the option to keep my current plan is this what I should be seeing?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
They fixed it now. The option has been removed for me. Oh well, can't miss what I never had…

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
I would *NOT* do this. I imagine that Verizon is going to say this was a glitch well after 14-30 days, remove unlimited data from all of the people who bought at subsidized pricing, then technically not-allow full price repurchases because the return policy disallows returns after 14-30 days.

Good luck.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Still working for me.
I'm afraid cuz Verizon are known asses and will changed your plan to tiered saying you MEANT to order that.

Nerio27

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I went to check this out and sure enough it looks like it would let me complete the purchase with unlimited data. I wonder if I should do this or stick with my original plan of going through the loophole with upgrading a different line on my family plan and then transferring the phone to my line later.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
This really isn't a glitch. This was planned by Verizon. A glitch only stays up for an hour or two at best. I would not doubt the execs saw the stats for September on friday, and saw they lost more customers to T-Mobile. Conveniently this occurs on a weekend, to make it look like a glitch. People spread it all over the internet. Verizon customers with unlimited but thinking of jumping ship to T-Mobile cheaper plan, see this, and quickly re up for 2 more years. Verizon on Monday will say it was a glitch but will honor those contracts because they are such a standup company. Retain your customers, and get free advertising over the social networks.

vegastime

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Virginia
This really isn't a glitch. This was planned by Verizon. A glitch only stays up for an hour or two at best. I would not doubt the execs saw the stats for September on friday, and saw they lost more customers to T-Mobile. Conveniently this occurs on a weekend, to make it look like a glitch. People spread it all over the internet. Verizon customers with unlimited but thinking of jumping ship to T-Mobile cheaper plan, see this, and quickly re up for 2 more years. Verizon on Monday will say it was a glitch but will honor those contracts because they are such a standup company. Retain your customers, and get free advertising over the social networks.

This sounds right to me.

Hard to believe a glitch would last this long.

vegastime

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Virginia
The thing that worries me is when you get to the order review page it shows:

Nationwide talk 2 year contract.

But for unlimited email & web for smartphones, it shows M2M National Unlimited. I assume this means month to month. I am afraid that means they can change it, anytime they want.

Just paid full price for the 5s through Bestbuy, but may return it and give this a try.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
This sounds right to me.

im at odds with what to do.
now im wondering if the 5S is worth it.
I guess im not going anywhere.
but then again, when is this window gonna be open again?
but like someone else said, the fine print says they slow you down?
i consume way too much data to be slowed.
but it will still be unlimited at least...
hmm.
so indecisive.

ahh. first world problems

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
This sounds right to me.

I concur. Two years ago they really had a glitch with their phone system that allowed people to switch to UD. Once that went public, the "glitch" was fixed within hours. This has "glitch" has been up and running for at least 24 hours and it's been spreading like wild fire. I've read that a lot of people have contacted CS to ensure that they'd keep their UD. So Verizon knew about this issue before it was announced on Engadget.

If it wasn't planned then they can't force you off UD. It would be a switch and bait which is illegal (being that they offered you UD at the time of purchase then later switched from UD to 2GB). Not to mention that you just "signed" a new contract with VZW that shows UD on your plan. If they could easily bump people off UD then they would've already done it once all of those people with 4S had their contracts expire.

There's a reason why they tried to convince people to change UD for a tiered plan. The reason being that they CANNOT bump you off of it. The only time they could was two years ago with that phone system glitch because their contract didn't show UD on their line. As a matter of fact, a good amount of people were able to keep their UD.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
The thing that worries me is when you get to the order review page it shows:

Nationwide talk 2 year contract.

But for unlimited email & web for smartphones, it shows M2M National Unlimited. I assume this means month to month. I am afraid that means they can change it, anytime they want.

Just paid full price for the 5s through Bestbuy, but may return it and give this a try.

That's mobile to mobile, not month to month. It is the line showing unlimited mobile to mobile calling.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
How do you order to pick up at store and how do you bill to account ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
a rep just told me that the "contract" you sign when you order doesnt take effect until you receive/activate the phone.

the phones are shipping 10/14.

im sure in the 2 weeks leading up to then, VZW will say oh, we didnt mean to offer that and everyone is reverted to a tiered plan, sorry.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
a rep just told me that the "contract" you sign when you order doesnt take effect until you receive/activate the phone.

the phones are shipping 10/14.

im sure in the 2 weeks leading up to then, VZW will say oh, we didnt mean to offer that and everyone is reverted to a tiered plan, sorry.

No they won't. The plan documents will come included in your shipment. Before you even activate, you will have that plan in writing.

gniss39

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2007
Eugene, OR
I still can select Unlimited Data as of 2PM PST today. We shall see if this gets fixed tomorrow morning. I am really tempted to upgrade to a phone today but at the same time want more time to decide what device I want. Maybe VZW will give some sort of official statement tomorrow to clear things up.

deeznutz

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
No they won't. The plan documents will come included in your shipment. Before you even activate, you will have that plan in writing.

yes they will. it happened to me with my device.they did NOT honor the plan i signed up for and got with my paperwork.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. Worst case scenario, they revert me back to my old month to month plan with unlimited data. This was just way too good to pass up and I would kick myself if they fix it tomorrow. I Artie get such a great discount on the minutes and the data plan with my employer, I'm not going anywhere but Verizon. Why not another two years.

----------

I still can select Unlimited Data as of 2PM PST today. We shall see if this gets fixed tomorrow morning. I am really tempted to upgrade to a phone today but at the same time want more time to decide what device I want. Maybe VZW will give some sort of official statement tomorrow to clear things up.

dooooo it. what happens if they honor it, wont u kick yourself?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
yes they will. it happened to me with my device.they did NOT honor the plan i signed up for and got with my paperwork.

I can guarantee they will not change the plans on anyone who extended their unlimited plan. It's a marketing ploy, not a glitch. This was planned. Verizon does not have weekend long "glitches". Everything they do is planned and this was done to keep customers. Verizon is losing customers.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I just spoke with a VZW rep and he has advised that anyone who upgrades will absolutely lose their unlimited as this is a website glitch and the web maintenance are working to get it resolved. Let's see how this plays out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.