Verizon vs AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Donia330i, May 2, 2014.

1. Donia330i macrumors regular

Who's faster?

Looking to leave sprint. Which one is faster and better?

2. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Kind of depends where you live also. Go with the one you have better overall connection.

4. wordoflife, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

AT&T LTE and Verizon LTE are pretty much neck to neck. In some markets, AT&T will be faster while in others, Verizon will be. But holistically speaking, they are the same.

I prefer AT&T since their 3G is faster than Verizon 3G, and because it can do simultaneous voice and data.

5. webwbr macrumors member

Yep, this!!!!

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Pick the carrier with the best coverage in your area. To be honest, I think AT&T has a slightly faster network, but in certain parts of the country, Verizon has better coverage.

7. infinity12402 macrumors member

Ive had both AT&T and Verizon. They seem about the same speed wise. As for the voice and data, Verizon can now do voice and data with any LTE phone.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Except the iPhone. There are a few low end Android devices that can't do both at the same time as well. Those that are able to do it, do so at a higher battery life cost as it requires the use of two LTE radios.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Yes. Speed varies too much based on circumstances. But AT&T's coverage is so bad where I live. About half that as Verizon.

That extra speed is useless when you have go the the 11 floor and stand on the roof of a building to get your signal.

10. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I just recently ported back to Verizon after being with ATT for a month- I find that ATTs data experience is better in the Bay Area compared to Verizon overall

However ATTs voice was a lesser experience in the areas I needed my phone to work - one of the deciding factors that made me port back - ymmv

11. I7guy macrumors G5

The question is very generic and will never result in a useful answer for you. Maybe if you posted the area you were interested in, like Midtown Manhattan or San Diego, CA etc.

Statistically speaking who cares who has the fastest overall average? (I'm sure some people care but I don't as it is not a useful gauge of my service in any one location) Furthermore to my attached speedtest, if ATT was any faster in my area do you really think I would notice?

Attached Files:

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It really depends where you live. In my area, AT&T is faster, but where I have edge or no service on my iPhone 5c, my friend who has verizon will have 3G or 4g or LTE on his iPhone 5c.

13. MyiBill macrumors 6502

I had Verizon then switched to AT&T because when the iPhone came to Verizon their service got horrible in my area. AT&T was (is) definitely the faster of the two but now I seem to be getting a lot of dropped calls with them and am thinking of switching back to Verizon since they have improved their service by me.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Unless you live in the boonies and require Verizon's rural coverage, I would go with AT&T for faster 3G speeds and simultaneous talk/surf

15. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I use to have verizon speeds where go but inconstant in a very short distance on LTE. I switched to tmo because of price and found that for me at least has overall better call quality. Data even on HSPA+ is faster on download the Verizon was on LTE. I am in metro NYC area so I would think verizon would be better here.

16. Applejuiced, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    You cannot do that with all LTE phones on verizon.
    The iphone 5, 5S and 5C are all LTE phones and cannot do calls and use data at the same time on the Verizon network.

17. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Some android phones can because they have two antennas or something like that. Just not any iPhones

18. rapicell macrumors regular

I don't live in the boonies and AT&T still has horrible coverage in my area. Verizon on the other hand, has amazing coverage. Only downside is Verizon is greedy as hell with their plans.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know.
    But he said any LTE phone on verizon can and that is clearly not the case.

20. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

In Tallahassee they are essentially the same, AT&T is maybe slightly faster than VZW. But at the coast, the woods of surrounding rural counties and SW Georgia where I spend much of my free time VZW still has blazing LTE speeds while AT&T is completely unusable. It really just matters where you are and how and where you need data. For me VZW was the way to go. Data while making a phone call is a complete non-issue for me and since I'm almost never don't LTE with VZW, the difference in 3G speeds is completely irrelevant.

21. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

22. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I'm hearing in NYC - Verizon is hit or miss - a good friend of mine is going to leave Verizon as soon as his contract is up because of slow data - he was thinking of returning to Sprint because of the spark rollout in NYC

23. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

24. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've got AT&T in NYC and I'm mostly satisfied with their service. I haven't had a dropped call in years and data is around 15mbs down and 7mbs up on average. However, if too many people are in one area--like a festival or concert then the network is completely unusable.

I don't know how they compare to any other carrier in the city first hand.